Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using vintage razor blades?

Doug C

Practically Family
..I just replaced the sheetrock in a bathroom and behind the medicine cabinet was tons of razor blades, kind of discusting really, I left them be.

grundie

One of the Regulars
JimWagner said:
When I used them up they went down the slot in the back of the medicine cabinet on the bathroom wall. That's actually what that slot was for.

When it came time to remodel one of those old bathrooms and replace the plaster and lathe with sheet rock you had to be careful as you "discovered"
hundreds of rusty razor blades in the wall. :)

That reminds me of a post made by someone on a computer programming forum I frequent. He lived in a 1930s era house and one day whilst laying ethernet cable under his floorboards when he came a cross a giant pile of used razor blades.

His posting went along the lines of "What sort of sick */%$&^ used to live in my house. Why the *=*=- would the booby trap it? I could have killed myself!"

The thread continued on for some time with everyone agreeing the previous owners of the posters home were some sort of weird sadistic sickos, before someone appeared to point out the real reason why he found the pile of blades.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Hilarious.

The vast majority of Golden Era homes featured a razor slot beside the sink that just dropped them into the wall. Some cabinets featured removable boxes that caught the razors. Later men thought better of it and put them in the used slot on the back of the razor blade pack which is what I do.

I use an old Gillette DE safety razor my dad had in the 1960s. Works like a charm every time and the drop in blades are cheap.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Yep, I've had the same experience finding razor blades in the wall of a 1947 house we remodeled. It didn't astonish me too much, because my Dad and another fellow his age remembered when this was commonly done by their father's generation.

ChrisT

One of the Regulars
I just found these today
GEDC4566.JPG

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe