Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using vintage razor blades?

Feraud

Bartender
Does anyone use vintage razor blades (unused of course) to shave?
Do you find them better, worse, or indistinguishable from modern blades?

I have some vintage blades but hesitate to use them. Unlike most other vintage items once you use them that's it. They are gone. Do you chuck 'em? Put them in a box for posterity?

Enlighten me.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I tried some old Gillette blades in a vintage Gillette razor. It may have been one or the other but it was a bloodletting. The razor was a "long comb" which doesn't suit my face.

JimWagner

Practically Family
When I first started shaving about 50 years ago those vintage Gillette blue blades were current technology, usable for a single shave. Then came stainless steel blades, usable for a couple of shaves. As has been previously stated, it was a bloodbath.

It was always self sacrifice in front of the mirror when I used Gillette safety razors, fixed or adjustable. I can still feel the sting, first from the styptic pencil to staunch the blood flow and then from the aftershave on the open wounds. Begs the question, safer than what? (Straight razors in case some of you really didn't know.)

From then until now I've tried and used just about every kind of razor that's been made. For me, and YMMV, modern is definitely better than vintage when it comes to shaving.

Bottom line, put the vintage blades in your display case where they can't hurt you and can remain available to posterity for future viewing.

Geesie

Practically Family
Speak of the devil, the Gillette Super Speed I bought off eBay as my new travel razor just arrived with a Gillette Blue Blade still in it.

Don't think I'll be using it though...

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Even the edge of SS vintage blade can deteriorate over time so I leave the old blades in the display.
As for Vintage razors, I believe Gillette perfected the razor when they came out with the "NEW" in the 30s.
Everything made since has been for hype and profits.

Geesie

Practically Family
cooncatbob said:
Even the edge of SS vintage blade can deteriorate over time so I leave the old blades in the display.
As for Vintage razors, I believe Gillette perfected the razor when they came out with the "NEW" in the 30s.
Everything made since has been for hype and profits.

Disagree.
TTO is awesome.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Geesie said:
Disagree.
TTO is awesome.

TTO unnecessary feature that only adds cost to a already perfect razor.lol
Aug31%20005.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Atterbury Dodd said:
If posterity just wants to look at them, you could put them back in the package:)

Of course. That is definitely an option. I started this thread in the hopes of discussing if members use vintage razor blades to shave, what their thoughts are on the quality of the blades, and how they feel about using such a finite source of blades.

I own a few boxes of vintage blades but would never use them. I have not heard they give a superior shave and could not use and discard them. Modern blades are more than sharp enough and fit in vintage razors.

Unlike other vintage items like hats, ties, pens, dishware, etc. that can be used and held on to for decades I find razor blades especially ephemeral.

I appreciate all the comments. :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Atterbury Dodd said:
What process do you use to sharpen them? I don't know if I'd ever do it, because I mainly use Merker stainless blades anyway.

Ever seen one of these?

razor-sharpener.jpg

They're safety-razor blade-resharpeners. I picked one up at the flea-market for $35 several months ago. They resharpen my razor-blades over and over and over until they just break from metal fatigue, or they can't be resharpened. My record is four months.

FullKit-1.jpg

Barring the strop and honing-stone, that is my entire shaving-kit. The black thing with the strings attached to it is the blade-sharpener.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Amazing...

... thing. My dad (81) says his dad used to put a double edged blade between his fingers and hone it on the inside of a coffee cup.

Interestingly, my grandfather was the person who introduced my dad to Track II razors.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
I tried some old Gillette blades in a vintage Gillette razor. It may have been one or the other but it was a bloodletting. The razor was a "long comb" which doesn't suit my face.

I also have a vintage Gillette razor (which I use everyday) that came with blades. I used one, which worked fine, and then left the rest in the metal container...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Mid-fogey said:
... thing. My dad (81) says his dad used to put a double edged blade between his fingers and hone it on the inside of a coffee cup.

I've heard of that being done as well (the coffee-cup thing) but I've no idea if it works and I've never tried it.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Feraud said:
What do you do with the used up blades?

When I used them up they went down the slot in the back of the medicine cabinet on the bathroom wall. That's actually what that slot was for.

When it came time to remodel one of those old bathrooms and replace the plaster and lathe with sheet rock you had to be careful as you "discovered" hundreds of rusty razor blades in the wall. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe