Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Caste System and Leather Jackets

Biff42

A-List Customer
Listen young man, your friend was absolutely right. Haven't your schoolteachers shown you the film Reefer Madness? Leather jackets are the popular look among greasers, junkies, communists, and homosexuals. It's even possible that a "beatnik" street gang could mistake you for a member when they spot you wearing a leather jacket... and look out- if they discover you're not, they're liable to call you a "square" and stab you with the switchblade knives they carry. So come on, son. Why don't you get on the right team, helping to bring it home for the big win? Counter-culture "trends" are never the answer when it comes to looking your best!
Exactly right. Studies have shown the averge leather jacket owner visiting the FL looks like these guys::

1725922823487.png

theeprimitivesound

One of the Regulars
I enjoy wearing utility and m/c oriented leather jackets and have a thick hide of my own when it comes to other people's opinion of what I happen to like.

In conversation w/ a business associate recently he made an unusual remark that I'd never pondered before. Specifically he referred to something akin to caste and implied that wearing a leather jacket was an outward indication that the wearer was somehow of lesser social status than he and apparently others.

I've never noticed that before and don't see the world in that way (I'm in the US and so is he) but I wonder... have you noticed anything similar?
He sounds like an A Hole.

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
He sounds like an A Hole.

I'm 100% certain that a lot of people think he is. He's loud, talks over the top of everyone about whatever stream of consciousness flies out of his head next, redirects conversations and ruffles feathers more often than most.

I've met a ton of assholes though and he's not one. Nice guy really he just looks at the same things you or I do from a different perspective and then shares his view absent polish or sugar.

There are a lot of things in his wake that need to be revisited, worded differently or fixed and there's a thicker layer of relationship fires in his vicinity. Assholes are like that intentionally and that's not his thing. Smart, too. Just have to be careful about how you interpret some of his comments and delicate little flowers may get the wrong end of that bee.

tenor.gif

bigmanbigtruck

A-List Customer
I'm 100% certain that a lot of people think he is. He's loud, talks over the top of everyone about whatever stream of consciousness flies out of his head next, redirects conversations and ruffles feathers more often than most.

I've met a ton of assholes though and he's not one. Nice guy really he just looks at the same things you or I do from a different perspective and then shares his view absent polish or sugar.

There are a lot of things in his wake that need to be revisited, worded differently or fixed and there's a thicker layer of relationship fires in his vicinity. Assholes are like that intentionally and that's not his thing. Smart, too. Just have to be careful about how you interpret some of his comments and delicate little flowers may get the wrong end of that bee.

tenor.gif
Makes me think of the old adage... if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1