Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Caste System and Leather Jackets

Viking752

Practically Family
I think mfg's are largely responsible for any negative perception. I saw a beautiful and heavy leather jacket on the bay last week that I'd love to have but won't buy because it has the name Marauder embossed in the leather right on the front of the jacket. There are several other models of jacket that take names intended to indicate that the wearer at least doesn't feel like a complete knob wearing a jacket labeling him as a dirtbag. Marauder, Vandal, Wildcat, Storm, Mission, Hardcore, Highwayman, Drifter, or a particular fave the ladies' Villainess, etc. Why not a Rapist version or another with Pencil Dick emblazoned across the the sleeve or lapel?

Someone thinks this kind of marketing has merit and thinking out loud, if you have one of these in your closet you're supporting this kind of BS. On some level maybe there's something to the man's comment.

Did I just ruin a jacket for anyone?
I get your point and I have seen that Marauder jacket for quite some time on the Bay. In this case, I am of the opinion that this particular jacket represents probably an owners group for a Suzuki Marauder motorcycle.
IMG_1853.jpeg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I have been in this hobby a few years and have never seen any embossed names you mention on the jackets discussed here. Maybe we are simply talking about different leather jackets, hence the struggle here to understand your point?

zebedee

One Too Many
Some of the conceptual jackets could come with a flashy ankle bracelet. I can't see it reaching the mainstream.

Biff42

A-List Customer
I have been in this hobby a few years and have never seen any embossed names you mention on the jackets discussed here. Maybe we are simply talking about different leather jackets, hence the struggle here to understand your point?

It's the Vanson Maurader they are refering to. I own one don't ride and I don't think it has anything to do with any MC owners group. That said, that Vanson is a cool jacket IMO and some folks merely take the label off as it's not embossed.

Attachments

• IMG_20231114_124014015_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231114_124014015_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20231114_124020786_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231114_124020786_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 49
I get your point and I have seen that Marauder jacket for quite some time on the Bay. In this case, I am of the opinion that this particular jacket represents probably an owners group for a Suzuki Marauder motorcycle. View attachment 630266

It's the Vanson Maurader they are refering to. I own one don't ride and I don't think it has anything to do with any MC owners group. That said, that Vanson is a cool jacket IMO and some folks merely take the label off as it's not embossed.

Yeah. Most times there is a harmless reason for a patch.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
Why not a Rapist version or another with Pencil Dick emblazoned across the the sleeve or lapel?

Someone thinks this kind of marketing has merit and thinking out loud, if you have one of these in your closet you're supporting this kind of BS. On some level maybe there's something to the man's comment.
I’m not a fan of embossed text/patches on jackets - feel like it takes away from the jacket and could make it look tacky. But now, people that have marauder, highwayman, etc… embossed on their jackets might as well call themselves pencil dick rapists? Kind of a stretch.

Little by little, this “man” you keep reminding us of is starting to sound like it’s just you.

Last edited:

Biff42

A-List Customer
I’m not a fan of embossed text/patches on jackets - feel like it takes away from the jacket and could make it look tacky. But now people that have marauder, highwayman, etc… embossed on their jackets might as well call themselves pencil dick rapists? Kind of a stretch.

Little by little, this “man” you keep reminding us of is starting to sound like it’s just you.
I can confirm, I may be a pencil dick, but Im no rapist LMAO.

rogueclimber

A-List Customer
I think mfg's are largely responsible for any negative perception.

Manufacturers? How about Hollywood/TV? The Wild One, Rebel Without a Cause, West Side Story, Grease, Happy Days etal... All showing leather jacket wearers as rebels/troublemakers

From: https://www.terryiwanski.com/the-rebellious-era-exploring-the-wild-lives-of-1950s-bad-boys/

The 1950s was an era of conformity, but amidst the post-war prosperity, a subculture emerged – the bad boys. They were rebellious, rejecting societal norms, and embracing a lifestyle that revolved around drugs, sex, music, alcohol, cars, and motorcycles.

The 1950s post-war era brought prosperity and a push for conformity. Amidst this, the bad boys emerged as a counterculture. Figures like James Dean, with his iconic role in “Rebel Without a Cause,” and Marlon Brando in “The Wild One,” epitomized the defiance against societal norms. These rebels sought authenticity in a world striving for uniformity.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I enjoy wearing utility and m/c oriented leather jackets and have a thick hide of my own when it comes to other people's opinion of what I happen to like.

In conversation w/ a business associate recently he made an unusual remark that I'd never pondered before. Specifically he referred to something akin to caste and implied that wearing a leather jacket was an outward indication that the wearer was somehow of lesser social status than he and apparently others.

I've never noticed that before and don't see the world in that way (I'm in the US and so is he) but I wonder... have you noticed anything similar?
Your answer @Trouser Bark, from 61’N…guess who’s the coolest?.

There’s a book out there, the most widely read book in history, that speaks directly to what you’ve never pondered.
A filthy, ragged man (not sure if he is wearing a leather jacket) sits in the front row at a church service when in walks a finely dressed, noble elitists troupe who see “their” front row seat has been occupied by this lowest caste individual.
The man is unkindly ushered out of “their” seats to the rear of the church.

In this story your fellow worker is the front row caste and you are the man in the back.
How does that make you feel?

To have to ask a bunch of grown strangers if they ever noticed what you’ve never pondered borders on tone deaf naïvety, some might argue ignorance.
I’m not sure what’s worse, your coworkers opinion or having to ask about it.
You definitely win…the guess who’s the coldest?
Now…if still confused find the book, it’s not hard.
B

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m usually to be found with old denim and Eastmans leather jackets. Neighbours from a religious sect found out I don’t rent my house and commented that this surprised them…that’s coming from folk wearing cheap polyester suits :cool:

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
There’s a book out there, the most widely read book in history, that speaks directly to what you’ve never pondered.

If yours is a religious reference, Abba; you've lost me. No offense. I know a lot of people profess to be adherents and say they've read that book. In my mind it's one of the most widely distributed and least examined of all texts, ever. I'm already running the risk of apparently being offensive to some regarding leather jacket mfg's marketing dept's being run by 12YO boys so can't afford to get dog piled by religious folks at the same time. Maybe we can do that one in a future thread. Or not.

I get your point and I have seen that Marauder jacket for quite some time on the Bay. In this case, I am of the opinion that this particular jacket represents probably an owners group for a Suzuki Marauder motorcycle.

You may be right. You'd think a successful leather jacket mfg might have chosen a higher sales volume m/c to name their product after though.

My apologies. I thought it was embossed and looking more closely see that it might be a sewn on patch. Though that would make it removable I still wouldn't want the pin holes in a new (or new to me) jacket. Be that as it may it's easy to see what others like about it. BTW... cool sense of humor. Thanks for the laugh!

Edward

Bartender
- the remark he made had something to do w/ a blog of some sort that appeals to politically interested readers (or maybe science types). If I understood correctly there were three people that were affiliated w/ the blog(?), two of whom he took for urbane sophisticates and the third was an apparently less refined man as he wore a leather jacket.

God save us all from Bloggers so self-important that their opinions are, in their own minds (and those of any daft enough to take them seriously) "rules".

I think mfg's are largely responsible for any negative perception. I saw a beautiful and heavy leather jacket on the bay last week that I'd love to have but won't buy because it has the name Marauder embossed in the leather right on the front of the jacket. There are several other models of jacket that take names intended to indicate that the wearer at least doesn't feel like a complete knob wearing a jacket labeling him as a dirtbag. Marauder, Vandal, Wildcat, Storm, Mission, Hardcore, Highwayman, Drifter, or a particular fave the ladies' Villainess, etc. Why not a Rapist version or another with Pencil Dick emblazoned across the the sleeve or lapel?

Did I just ruin a jacket for anyone?

I've seen those, and many more in the mainstream of motorcycle gear. The dealbreaker for me has always kicked in as soon as I see that there is a non-removable logo emblazoned on the jacket - it doesn't matter what the logo is. I've passed on deal on Vansons, Schotts, and all sorts of otherwise nice stuff because of overt logos that are irremovable.

That's definitely an advance on an embossed logo. Pity it leave the stitchholes on a new jacket, though. I did once remove a patch from a jacket and wear it with the stitchholes, though this was a Harley Owner's Group patch on the bottom at the back, and (unlike if it had been a generic Harley shield logo) the stitching shape wasn't immediately identifiable if anyone did notice the holes). Might have thought twice had it been upfront.

zebedee

One Too Many
I second the aversion to anything with a name stamped into it. I'd not order some Schotts for that reason. A label - if tiny - might be ok... but probably not.

Edward

Bartender
I second the aversion to anything with a name stamped into it. I'd not order some Schotts for that reason. A label - if tiny - might be ok... but probably not.

Oddly, it doesn't bother me so much with the Lewis stuff, maybe because it's fairly small, and that gold paint will wear off very quickly and easily. Generally, though, not a fan of logos of any sort. Something I'll tolerate them on - jeans, the studs on my 618, - others, no. I decided against a Schott leather peacoat when I realised they'd started putting a logo on them.

zebedee

One Too Many
Oddly, it doesn't bother me so much with the Lewis stuff, maybe because it's fairly small, and that gold paint will wear off very quickly and easily. Generally, though, not a fan of logos of any sort. Something I'll tolerate them on - jeans, the studs on my 618, - others, no. I decided against a Schott leather peacoat when I realised they'd started putting a logo on them.
Yeah, on jeans it doesn't matter to me, either. It seems to on leather, though - even William Lennon started stamping the tongues on their footwear and I wished they hadn't. I unstitched the Carhartt outer label from my Detroit and have even cut a small outer label off a good pair of shoes. In recent years almost everything apart from socks, shorts and jeans has been tailor made, so I suppose I got used to the near-anonymity of custom clothing. It wouldn't occur to me to get blue jeans tailor made, but it is possible to do.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, on jeans it doesn't matter to me, either. It seems to on leather, though - even William Lennon started stamping the tongues on their footwear and I wished they hadn't. I unstitched the Carhartt outer label from my Detroit and have even cut a small outer label off a good pair of shoes. In recent years almost everything apart from socks, shorts and jeans has been tailor made, so I suppose I got used to the near-anonymity of custom clothing. It wouldn't occur to me to get blue jeans tailor made, but it is possible to do.

Yeah, somethings it just doesn't make sense. Didn't know WL had started that - as long as they keep it to the tongue, it could be worse, but I hate it when shoes have really obvious logos. I have a couple of pairs of Vans I keep for when the heat gets too unbearable for real shoes (I don't as a rule like sneakers. I'm more comfortable in a decent brogue, and I hate that sneakers are essentially disposable), and I wish they came with no logo. And at that they're more unobtrusive than most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads