Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unworn '30s Vintage Borsalino Homburg- 7 1/2 Dark Gray

A

Ande1963

I bought this beauty on the bay a few months back. It arrvied a little mangled, so I had it professionally re-shaped. It looks great now, but it's a little bit snug, and my wife says Homburgs and me are not to be, so... it goes!

These pictures are tricky. I tried not to use the flash, but thay came out pretty dark. I guess that's okay, since it's a very dark gray hat, but it may be hard to see it very well. I will do my absolute best to describe it.

Overall condition is excellent. This hat comes straight from pre-war Europe, in genuine unworn condition. Felt is in perfect conditon, and the ribbon is lovely. The ribbon is black. There are a few condtion issues... there is a little bit of stretching at the back of the sweat band, where the ends of the band meet. Nothing major, but the ends of the band don't quite meet, and the few stitches there are a little stretched. Right beside that area, the sweat is slightly loose. The band does not completely pull away from the felt, but the stitching there is a little loose. Again, nothing major, but I want to describe it very carefully, especially because the pictures are a little hard to see.

CROWN- 5"
BRIM- About 2"
RIBBON- 1 3/4"
SIZE- 7 1/2 (it's a slightly large 7 1/2... inner circumference is about 23 5/8)

I'm asking $90, shipped. I paid a little more, but I think this is very fair, given the slight condition issues. I could send it back to the hatter and have it worked on, but I'd just as soon move on.

Lemme know if you have questions. Also, I may try to come back soon with some better, natural light pictures.

Thanks,
Anj

borso.jpg

A

Ande1963

I firmly believe the hat is unworn. I wouldn't say as much if that weren't the case. I'm glad you brought up the sweat band stitching, though, because I didn't realize that was a repair.

Here's the original auction:
http://tinyurl.com/2amm2x

Of course, it wasn't a bowler, but everything described there was accurate. Unfortunately, the hat was packed poorly when it came from Europe, and it got mangled, which led to me sending it to a hatter. It went with some other hats that needed work, including slight stretching. I asked the hatter to be very careful with this original sweat band, but it appears that, along with re-shaping, they tried to stretch this to what they knew was my size... hence that new stitching (and probably the loosenes near there, now that I think of it).

Anyway, that's the whole story. Again, I have no desire to stick anyone with a hat they won't be happy with. I'm grateful for the questions, because it led to more accurate information. I've had three guys express interest in the hat, and I would want any of them to be thrilled with it. Please let me know if you're still interested, and I completely understand if you're not.

Finally, if the buyer receives the hat and doesn't like it, I will accept a return. Just pay to have it shipped back, and I'll give a refund. This is a friendly community, and I don't want to engender any ill-will.

Best,
Anj

PS Next time, I'll be using Optimo for all my repairs/re-shaping.

A

Ande1963

One Last Try

I had several nibbles, but the hat is still available. Let me know soon if you want it, or if you just need to see more photos.

Thanks,
Anj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007