Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Twitter?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oooh look, this thread became about value judging people because they choose to use an internet site. That's just GREAT! Tell me how you feel guys, really. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm enjoying getting updates from Neil Gaiman and NPR. Not to mention my friends from around the world.

::goes back to being stupid and self-indulgent::

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Baron -

It's not that 'most people have nothing to say' though, is it? Isn't it more that most people have nothing to say *that interests you*? My blog followers and subscriber numbers (which are tiddly compared to some of my blogger friends) would seem to contradict your statement, and if it were true, surely there wouldn't be so many people making tidy incomes from writing about 'nothing'. Just my opinion though!

By saying most, of course, i leave open the possibility for good blogs and interesting twitter contributors.

Fleur, I will stand by this statement: Very very very few of the people who write online, a miniscule fraction of the people who do so, make any money from it. Why? Because they've actually got nothing to say that *anyone* is interested in. "went to Camden this weekend; was fun; got pissed" (I disagree with everything inside those quote marks)

bk

p.s. I thought yours was one of the better blogs i've seen from FLoungers. Not a bad read at all.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I made an account but haven't brought myself to post on it. It seems like actively calling attention to the amount of non-work related schtuff I do during the day. Considering that it's so public and bosses/coworkers could very well see it, I just don't think I'm ready for that. I have the same problem with Facebook. I've accepted my coworkers and bosses into my network and think two or ten times about every phrase I'm writing or photo I put up. The world has become an incredibly small place and I like having the option to compartmentalize my life for no other reason than I just choose to. [huh]

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
By saying most, of course, i leave open the possibility for good blogs and interesting twitter contributors.

Fleur, I will stand by this statement: Very very very few of the people who write online, a miniscule fraction of the people who do so, make any money from it. Why? Because they've actually got nothing to say that *anyone* is interested in. "went to Camden this weekend; was fun; got pissed" (I disagree with everything inside those quote marks)

bk

p.s. I thought yours was one of the better blogs i've seen from FLoungers. Not a bad read at all.

Eek, I wasn't trying to fish for compliments there! But thank you, that's very kind, especially since my blog is filled with a lot of superficial fashion-based fluff! lol

And I think I probably have a romanticised notion of how people make money through blogging. I am under no illusions that I will soon be able to quit work and be paid to research dresses all day. ;)

Carlisle Blues

I would just everyone to know that I will be chopping some trees down this morning for a workout. After which I will be at a home made ice cream store called Kimball's everyone who wants to come can buy me a pint. ;) ;)

Now that I have updated you all your lives, I am sure, are complete. :p :p

mike said:
The world has become an incredibly small place and I like having the option to compartmentalize my life for no other reason than I just choose to. [huh]

The simple answer is to not take any active part. Maintain an account to set up meetings with friends etc.

Once you break the strings attaching you to the interwebs, the world becomes a very big place again.

bk

Fleur De Guerre said:
And I think I probably have a romanticised notion of how people make money through blogging. I am under no illusions that I will soon be able to quit work and be paid to research dresses all day. ;)

I'm unabel to fathom how it's possible to make money through blogging.[huh] Advertising revenue? Options to sell ones blogs as newspaper columns? (kinda defeats the purpose?)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I weep...

Laura Chase said:
Twitter is the future.
Just kidding, but I have to say that what really frightens me about Twitter is how it takes the micro-moment movement to a new plateau. Having just returned from a MARVELOUS holiday in the sun, I can't tell you how amazed I was to see so many (all ages) still crackburied, cell-text-obsessed, and -- I assume -- Twittering away to the universe at large: "You should have seen the size of the last wave!"

Where did the big blocks of time, peace-and-quiet, and deserved break from the rat race disappear to?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
I'm unabel to fathom how it's possible to make money through blogging.[huh] Advertising revenue? Options to sell ones blogs as newspaper columns? (kinda defeats the purpose?)

Ad revenue (Google ads and private ones) and being hired for freelance writing based on your articles are how the people I know have been able to make it their vocation. But they are few and far between (and in the case of some, probably being at least partially supported by their other halves.)

Miss_Bella_Hell

mike said:
I made an account but haven't brought myself to post on it. It seems like actively calling attention to the amount of non-work related schtuff I do during the day. Considering that it's so public and bosses/coworkers could very well see it, I just don't think I'm ready for that. I have the same problem with Facebook. I've accepted my coworkers and bosses into my network and think two or ten times about every phrase I'm writing or photo I put up. The world has become an incredibly small place and I like having the option to compartmentalize my life for no other reason than I just choose to. [huh]

That's why my Facebook is set to uber private, and so is my MySpace. I don't really want to delete myself from those two sites though, because that's how I keep in touch with pretty much everyone in the area regarding shows, etc.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
That's why my Facebook is set to uber private, and so is my MySpace. I don't really want to delete myself from those two sites though, because that's how I keep in touch with pretty much everyone in the area regarding shows, etc.

I've been working desk jobs most of my professional life and in the process built up a retardedly massive group of "friends" on myspace. It was a terrific tool for connecting with friends & people that might be interested in coming to my events I've put on over the years. But now that I'm doing substantially less of that these days, I've considered just deleting it cause it winds up being more of a headache than a help. But then I don't have most people's email addresses so I feel chained to it [huh]

Edward

Bartender
I find Facebook and (though to a lesser extent these days) mySpace to be rather useful tools for certain purposes. Twitter I don't quite see the point of - it basically seems to me to be Facebook less all the bits of it that I find useful. [huh]

Foofoogal

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueJc...oudfront.net/home.swf&feature=player_embedded
----------------------
This is pretty cool. All these youtubers applied thru YouTube and ended up at Carnegie Hall. The internet is here to stay like the airplane and it evolves constantly. If government keeps their paws off of it no telling what we will see next.
-----------------
MySpace, Facebook and Twitter are all used extensively in the online business field I am in. News stories are also necessary to draw traffic to sites. Till the next thing comes along.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lady Day said:
There is nothing that I am doing at any given point in the day that would warrant me to stop what I am doing, and compose a sentence to broadcast what I was doing to the rest of the world.

Im not that interesting, and Im okay with that.

LD

That's just about exactly what I'd say, too. It's fine for people who have a little excitement in their lives, I guess, but a typical day's twittering from me might look like --

8:07 -- Burned my eggs again. Threw them over the fence into the junkyard. Oooh, a squirrel!

9:20 -- That neighbor kid is walking his dog on my grass. Stupid beagle.

11:11 -- Those hot dogs at Wasses' Wagon smell awful good right now. I want one.

12:32 -- Ack, I wish I hadn't eaten that hot dog.

2:25 -- The cat is sleeping on the kitchen table. Sure looks comfortable. Maybe I should try that.

5:30 -- At work. Popcorn kid is late. I gotta kill that boy, I just gotta. Wonder if that cistern down the street is big enough to hide a body?

10:30 -- Home from work. The shank of the night! Mmmmmyeah, what'll it be -- All Bran or Grape Nuts?

1:00 AM -- That crack in the ceiling just moved. I better sleep downstairs.

And so on ad infinitum.

Feraud

Bartender
I come down on the con side on all this twitter/blogging nonsense.
Not all but most blogs are useless pieces of self-indulgent dreck.
The real problem is people not recognizing they have nothing to say. Poor saps..

Carlisle Blues

Just finished felling and bucking three trees. Now I am going to eat a couple of pints of ice cream ...
Ice_cream_fever_by_novac.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
The best Twittering isn't about announcing that you've tied your shoes or ordered lunch -- it's about sharing the interesting things you come up with or come across in a day.

For instance, I just tweeted that I'd learned that Mike Nichols is hairless -- he wears a wig and paste-on eyebrows. Did you know that? I didn't.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting that I'm an interesting Twitterer, nor am I terribly prolific -- but there are interesting ones out there, and they don't simply fill you in on how they've spent their day. They point you outward, providing links to interesting stories and challenging web sites.

One's first impression of a new technology -- and I'm as guilty of snap judgments as anyone, so I'm not pointing fingers -- is not always accurate. Most of us don't see the possibilities in a new form of communication at first.

Many scoffed at the telephone when it was introduced. They just didn't see the need for it, and Lord knows there have been many millions of inane and insipid telephone conversations over the decades. But that hasn't rendered the instrument entirely useless.

There's been lots of dreck published on paper, too, since the invention of the printing press, but that doesn't negate the value of that form of communication, either.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
apparently not the ability to take what you dish out, either. [huh]

Hmmm....apparently you have not the ability to see humor in a post, sans an emoticon. :rolleyes:

There, does that help?

Mr. JJ, I totally took no offense in your post, thought the jab was rather good, actually.

That tweetup you mentioned sounded rather cool, and in that context I can see its value. Centered around an activity for announcements, sure, I can see that, but a person for persons sake? Zzzzzzz

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe