Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Twitter Me This

LostInTyme

Practically Family

I am sorry.

I can’t keep up with progress.
I don’t twitter,
I won’t “like” you on Facebook.
I might like you in person,
But we’d have to meet, and talk.
It’s called conversation.
It’s a lost art form.
For awhile, it became conversate,
But fortunately, that has passed.

I don’t know how to use a hashtag.
I do know it was once called a number sign.
When I write, or type, I use actual words.
The words I use, are, for the most part,
English words. Sometimes, I will use an Italian
word, or a French or German word.
But I won’t abbreviate or substitute a letter or number for
a word, just for the sake of brevity. I like the English language.

I like poetry, sentences, paragraphs, stories. I’m not into texting. I’d prefer to call someone on the telephone, but they will seldom answer, so I am forced into sending a cold unfeeling abbreviated text message in order to convey my thoughts. It’s a terrible way to communicate.

Soon the written language will be replaced with hashtags, emoticons, and scribbles on cave walls. Perhaps, if humanity retains enough intelligence, they will be able to design sufficient emoticons to appear to be as Egyptian hieroglyphs of ancient times.

I am sorry.​

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You are not alone, my communication is mostly by phone. I do text but never email. A check on the most popular social media sites shows: Facebook 3.06 billion, YouTube 2.70 billion, WhatsApp 2.40 billion Instagram 2.35 billion. https://explodingtopics.com/blog/top-social-media-platforms that link will show you the top 35 social media sites. The Lounge is the only social media site that I have ever used.

Those figures in billions are all monthly user numbers. How many of those users have ever sent a letter? How many have actually made the phone call? But it is what it is, you can't un-invent the technology. Let those that love it use it. Trouble is it's not as perfect as it seems. In the UK our printed maps show where low bridges are and the height restriction, but younger drivers of high sided vehicles, blindly following their sat-navs, crash into them with predictable regularity.

The UK's AA, (Automobile Association's) research found that the reaction time of texting drivers is 2.8 times more than those on the drink-drive limit. For using a hand-held phone, the reaction time is 3.5 times more than those at the drink-drive limit. Yet you see them day in and day out, one hand on the wheel the other holding their phone.

You are quite right about The English Language, the English speaking countries are fortunate to have the modern day Latin equivalent, that most others want to learn. It is a rich and diverse language, it has six hundred thousand words recorded in the twenty volumes of The Oxford English Dictionary. Despite that sixty-five percent of Brits have received less than five hand written letters in the last decade.

Text & Emails 004.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I know it is not hand-written, but it is close enough.
Handwriting and witch 001.JPG Handwriting and witch 002.JPG Boogie shoes 001.JPG
Going back to the technology of which I am ignorant of. What I should do is scan the written letter onto the computer, then upload it. Not a clue how to do that, which is why I photographed it, at least I have learned how to share pictures.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of the kids from the theatre, who is now a married woman within a day's drive of middle age, writes me hand-written letters a couple times a year. Real letters not, "hi how are you I am fine" stuff. I write back, by hand, on old stationery from a Boston sales office for a patent dust mop that went out of business in the mid-twenties. Once I wrote her a letter on a Western Union telegram blank, and she put it up on Instagram, which must count for something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1