Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Maguire

Practically Family
Charlie Noodles said:
Actually, I don't believe that is a fact. I could be wrong; but I believe the TCM had nothing to do with that shooting. And the two shooters were known to wear dusters.
the average person on the street can't tell the difference.

fishmeok

Vendor
FYI- I just put my Burberry's in the classifieds. There seem to be quite a few WWII US Army officers TC's on OFAS lately for some reason- I just missed out on one (size 46!) last week.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN2688.jpg

DSCN2689.jpg

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
The J. Peterman trench is on sale for $128 right now. I think I'll pick up one in black. Khaki would probably look better on me; but black is hard to resist. Especially when I can't get a good look at the shade of khaki it really is.

Even if they're mediocre that's not a bad price I think. Even with the shipping. Their checkout doesn't work for me right now though, so I might change my mind and get the khaki. Either way I should have photos soon, gents.

Calico Jack

New in Town
Peterman Trenchcoat sold out... alternatives?

I was waiting for an advance check before ordering the Peterman English-Style Trenchcoat, and by the time I get it, surprise, surprise, the coat is no longer carried. I'm sure it'll be picked up again sometime, but in the meantime, does anyone have an idea as to where I can get a good, Casablanca-ish men's raincoat? Preferably something in a natural fabric? I haven't the slightest idea where to start looking... I just know I love them belts.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
GREAT...!!

To see this marvellous thread come to life again..!!! You just cannot beat that classic look of a fine gent's trenchcoat :eusa_clap

lizzybob

New in Town
Calico Jack said:
I was waiting for an advance check before ordering the Peterman English-Style Trenchcoat, and by the time I get it, surprise, surprise, the coat is no longer carried.

I still see it there in their Last Chance Dept. Not many sizes though.

kampkatz

Practically Family
I recently bought a black coat quite similar to the one pictured in a US surplus store. I paid $15 and it only required a few stitches in some pocket seams. It was US Army issue, i'm guessing 20 to 30 years old.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Calico Jack said:
I was waiting for an advance check before ordering the Peterman English-Style Trenchcoat, and by the time I get it, surprise, surprise, the coat is no longer carried. I'm sure it'll be picked up again sometime, but in the meantime, does anyone have an idea as to where I can get a good, Casablanca-ish men's raincoat? Preferably something in a natural fabric? I haven't the slightest idea where to start looking... I just know I love them belts.

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Section_Id=12237&pcount=&pn=1&Product_Id=468277&sku1=o_s1_67590223

I guess I should mention that the belt does not have "D" rings or interior stitching. Nevertheless, I was very happy with mine and the price is certainly right.

Mark

Goldfish

A-List Customer
It's sad to read that the quality of Burberry trenchcoats has gone downhill.
I am obsessed with good quality and I hoped Burberry was the save way to go:whip:

What do you think would be the best fabric for middle - european weather, spring/autumn and rainy days?

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Marlowe said:
Deckard is right. The military coats seem to be slightly smaller than their civilian counterparts. I got my Marine trench coat in a size 42 rather than the size 40 I normally would have gotten. It'd be best to try one on, of course, but if you get one that's slightly too large, it'll fit better than one slightly too small, especially if you use it over a suit or Flightsuits Expedition, for instance...

Yes, the military coat will be cut smaller, and unfortunately, the quality of military uniforms isn't what it was in the 40's. Today the service uniform feels like a polyester leisure suit. (gasp) The USMC, and US Army, issue "all weather" coat, as they call it, feels like it was made for Wal-Mart. It actually makes a London Fog seem luxurious.

I have two London Fog's. I bought one on ebay, after I heard London Fog went out of business. It was better than the going rate for a Burberry. Do you think the average Second Lt today, would be able to afford one? (sigh)

Speaking of the original Burberry, was there a mounted version? One that you could wear while fox hunting on your trusty mount?

Edward

Bartender
blacklagoon said:
a few more pictures of it

grenfell10.jpg
[/IMG]

It is a lovely coat to wear.I really like it.

Good looking coat for sure. It bears a very strong resemblence to a Burberry - especially the lining! Obviously Brooks Borthers aren't a knock-off operation, so was this coat made under some licence from Burberry - or by any chance did Burberry manufacture them for Brooks Brothers?

Although this has been the wettest August on record here in blighty, I've not been able to wear my Burberry trench as it has simply been too humid. I have, however, picked up two of the single-breasted Burberry macs on eBay, as they are lighter and better suited to Summer temperatures. One of them even came complete with the wool lining - mint, for about GBP30! They don't have quite the panache of the db model, but if you want something functional and can't stretch to the going rate for a Burberry trench (GBP50-100), the sb mac is a good choice.

FWIW, I would also recommend Marks and Spencer's own brand trenches. If memory serves they tend to be a polycotton mix (as some, but not all, current Burberrys) which doesn't drape quite so stylishly as the pure cotton, but you can't knock the practicality, general quality and lower price.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Charlie Noodles said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted but Gentleman's Emporium appears to be selling the Kakadu Gunner's Coat. Their pictures are useful for a a different view of the coat from what I've seen elsewhere, if anyone is interested.

For people who like a little more authenticity with their outerwear, post-war Danish dispatch rider's coats (made in England to the WW2 Don-R British Pattern in a similar rubberised canvas) are quite freely available, usually for less than $90.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
ID this Trench

I was curious if anyone knew what this is. Someone else won it, but I really liked the cut, and it had some great details. Is it army or civilian, do you suppose? How about date?

7-e.jpg

7-c.jpg

7-d.jpg

7-f.jpg

7-j.jpg

7-k.jpg

7-l.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
I would guess military due to the very practical cut of the coat. The front and collar close up and create a good seal for the bad weather.
The tag is faded white but reminds me of one from an overcoat I have..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth