Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tragic alteration of belted-back suit

cptjeff

Practically Family
mike said:
But, but, but Marty! In the future you've just created, no one in the 60's has ever touched a single garment! They are innocent lambs! What ever you do... don't kiss your mother! lol

Personally, I would take a pit stop back to the mid/late 40's, just after we won WW2 and all the GI's are slowly coming home and realizing that all their 30's suits are many years out of date and they need to switch em out for bold look suits. That's when I bet you could pick em up for nuttin! And it would be the perfect time to load up that time machine with golden era treasures and head back to the age of the dinosaurs to take on those gigantic birds.... only to one day fall head over heels into a bog while in the death grip with some ancient beast. As fate would have it, I would be unearthed as and presented to the world as the FIRST MAN! A great dinosaur hunter clad in my best.. err what, NRA tagged suit and tie?! What the?! Aaaand history books would never be the same. Tra, la.. la lol

You would probably want to come in around 1950, as the former GIs are getting out of College after their GI bill funded education, and are getting jobs to have the funds to buy those new suits.

As a complete aside of course. I would probably just run up some period appropriate money with a printer and go back and buy a bunch of the stuff I want brand new.

mike

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
You would probably want to come in around 1950, as the former GIs are getting out of College after their GI bill funded education, and are getting jobs to have the funds to buy those new suits.

As a complete aside of course. I would probably just run up some period appropriate money with a printer and go back and buy a bunch of the stuff I want brand new.

Oooh, that's a very good point! To have a time machine and still be find yourself having to possibly contend with an item a stranger has lived in, surely begs the question if the initial plan should perhaps be sent back to the drawing board! lol

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Edward

Bartender
mike said:
I've actually toyed with the idea of starting a thread collecting images of golden era clothes incorporated into the style of the 60's Haight Ashbury and later the Punk movements. It could be heartbreaking!

:lol: The King's Road punks back in the mid 70s certainly trashed more than their fair share of original demob suits..... I guess, though, in those days they were simply "old clothes" nobody wanted, and chances are they'd have been thrown in the bin otherwise... [huh]

Boodles

A-List Customer
"We narrow neckties"

Marc Chevalier said:
It happened a lot in the 1980s, too. Most tailor shops (and even some drycleaners) had signs in their windows, saying "We narrow necktie widths." They also made wide lapels narrower.

I certainly do recall just such a homemade sign in the shop window of a tailor I once frequented. Nick, a Greek immigrant, had his shop in The Brevard Court in uptown Charlotte, NC, until just a few years ago when a mild stroke robbed him of some use of the fingers on his right hand. Back in the 80's Nick was just trying to make a modest living by taking in work like narrowing ties. I very much doubt that it occurred to Nick that his work would someday be scorned by folks like myself. I do not know if he ever narrowed the lapels of nice old suits but it's difficut to imagine that he never did that kind of work if he was asked to do so.

There is just no accounting for the tastes of people, whether food, whiskey, women, ties or lapels.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
cptjeff said:

Yes, but I tend to think that a lot of them bought a new suit as soon as they got back into civies. I know my dad did, because I own the one he bought in '46!

cptjeff

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
Yes, but I tend to think that a lot of them bought a new suit as soon as they got back into civies. I know my dad did, because I own the one he bought in '46!
I'm just flashing back to a photo I saw in history class with GIs sitting in class, and IIRC, they were mostly those wider shouldered numbers that you see in the 30's catalogs as young men's suits.

As a current college student, it's quite a contrast to what people wear now. Full suits my be asking a bit much, but a little more class would be nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe