Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Buzz or Not to Buzz..........

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
.......that is my question!! At the end of last Winter, out of the clear blue, and for the first time ever, I shaved my head WWII style. I LOVED it, and so did every one else. In fact, I'd never gotten so many compliments in my life!
Having a crew or Heinie cut was apparently more "universally accepted" than the greasy, fussed over "retro" haircut I'd had forever. And with my 99% vintage wardrobe, no one was mistaking me for anything other that what I was.
Right around this time I met my girlfriend, and she told me how much she HATED shaved heads, and begged me to grow it back! I obliged, and 6 months later, have yet to cut my hair (save for trimming the sides and back).
It's ridiculously long on top, and I will complain about it to her from time to time, and she replies "Well, then cut it." although I know she doesn't want me to.
Back to my question: she's going away for a business trip next weekend for a month, and I am seriously considering shaving my head while she's gone.
I asked her if she'd be mad if she came home and found me that way, and she said no, but I KNOW she's lying! She's not a tyrant or control freak...she just likes what she likes. Knowing that I prefer myself that way isn't gonna make her change her opinion. Ultimately, we're not really just talking about haircuts here--it's about doing something that you KNOW might cause a rift, and whether or not to avoid it.
What do you guys think? Ladies, I'd like to hear from you too!
flat-top

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Shaved is a pretty popular style now just in general, perhaps that is why she likes it. The "normal" haircut has sort of become uncool, either you let it grow it into a really shaggy uneven emo cut or else you shave or buzz it really close all over.

The WWII german style is actually not a buzzcut or shaved head but shaved around the ears and back and grown long and slicked back on top. The WWII country that was REALLY big on shaved heads was the Russians. You probably see more Russians with shaved heads than any other single style during the war.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Yeah, the buzzcut became popular in the U.S. in the late '40s...you didn't see it much during the war. It's actually more of a '50s look than anything else.

Try a compromise between the two, do it german style. Whitewalls on the side, long on the top.

Bebop

Practically Family
Buzz. Yes Buzz.

I did something similar about 6 years ago. My wife went away, I grabbed the dog clippers and razor and sent hair flying in all directions while my dog stared at me. My wife hated it for about 3 days and then, started to compliment me and I started to feel like I was somewhat hip. My brother who is naturally bald thinks I am crazy. I don't have to worry about a bad hair day or anything like that. It is absolute freedom to not have hair. I am no longer at the mercy of barbers. Everyone compliments me and tells me I have a "nice skull". I don't get too many compliments on my looks, so I kept it shaved until my first winter in freezing weather. Now I just cut it down to a five o'clock shadow in the winter so the little amount of hair acts like velcro and keeps my hats from flying off in the wind.

flat-top

Well, you're right..the look is more post WWII..the look American kids got that was inlfluenced by military haircuts. Which is more or less the era where most of my wardrobe comes from.
She doesn't like this haircut at all..maybe because it could possibly look like a cut ANYONE could have. But like I said--no one's mistaking me for a hip-hop fan or anything like that. And unfortunately, the style (no pun intended) did not grow on her.
Ultimately, the question is, do I risk being a turn-off just to make myself happy?
flat-top

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Great Wisdom, but remember

SHARPETOYS said:
The two most important words in a relationship. :)
Yes Dear!

Sharpey, you're right as usual. But if the question is "Does this skirt make my butt look big?"

"Yes Dear" will get you smacked with a #10 spider.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Okay, you wanted to hear from the girls too. Is there a way you can kinda go in between? It's hard for me to picture since I'm not real sure how your hair looks now.

Here's my take, if my BF had a haircut I didn't like, I'd probably keep my mouth shut or say something like "I really liked how your hair used to be when..." If it looked realllllllly bad on him, I might actually tell him. But would it change how I felt about him...no. He did show me a pic of him with a short ponytail when he grew out his hair for an Interview with the Vampire costume. I made a point to tell him I liked his hair better now. But I'd be okay if he wanted to color his hair purple. The point I'm trying to make is that if she really likes ya for who you are, she'll still like ya even with a buzz cut.

Feraud

Bartender
The key to any working relationship is compromise. That means 60(her)-40(you)! ;)

If she really does not like it shaved, then maybe you should not shock her with a buzzed head as she returns from a trip. However, you could get her used to the look by keeping it trimmed as short as possible. Buzz the back and sides and keep it slightly longer on top. Something like the 'Caesar' look..

She might get used to you with it and accept when you buzz the top off.

flat-top

What I have right now IS sorta the compromise: long on top, buzzed in the back and almost whitewalls on the sides. She likes this, and I did too for years, since it's more or less the cut I've always had. I'm not talking going cue ball short, maybe like a #1 attatchment.
My gal loves me no matter what--this I know.However, I fear the look of dissappointment on her face after she returns from a month long trip.
flat-top

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Interview With An Irish Vampire...

ITG said:
He did show me a pic of him with a short ponytail when he grew out his hair for an Interview with the Vampire costume. I made a point to tell him I liked his hair better now. But I'd be okay if he wanted to color his hair purple. The point I'm trying to make is that if she really likes ya for who you are, she'll still like ya even with a buzz cut.

Take a wee look here for my latest look!!http://www.blogger.com/profile/10688013

The things you do for Halloween eh!! Guess they'll bust me down to private in the AAF now!!!! :cheers1:

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Hair is not worth the trouble. It has to be washed, combed, brushed, styled, and the whole world seems dead set against hair ever looking good. Hats mess it up, wind messes it up, humidity messes it up, sleeping messes it up, and, every time you turn around, the damn stuff is turning gray and/or falling out. When I was 17, I had hair down past my shoulders. What a pain. Through my 20's I gradually started having it cut shorter and shorter. I found that even a high-and-tight buzz cut was still too much trouble. I started shaving my head about six years ago. Good riddance. I can't see ever going back to having hair. I shave it (with a razor) every few days, and that's it (aside from the occasional trip to the bowling alley to stick my head in the Shine-o-ball-o ;) ). The other major benefit to having a shaved head? It gives me a compelling reason to wear hats year-round: they keep my scalp from getting sunburned during the summer and getting cold in the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth