Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Story of Shoes - 1930s Thom McAn Documentary

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if this has been posted but I just enjoyed watching it and it shows them making a wonderful pair of spade sole wingtips by Thom McAn.

Enjoy!

[video=youtube_share;GE7pLFA6txs]http://youtu.be/GE7pLFA6txs[/video]

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Johnny; Thanks for sharing sir. I watched this vid over some lunch and enjoyed seeing the wingtips come to life. I have never seen the vid (or others like it). The vid showcases the many steps involved. I appreciate a fine pair of vintage shoes more after have watched.

Best, Eric -

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I can see why a pair of bespoke shoes nowadays can run pretty expensive if they don't have all of these wonderful machines! There is another video on youtube that shows how Allen Edmonds makes their shoes and it looks like they use the same old vintage machines as you see in this Thom Mcan video.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I can see why a pair of bespoke shoes nowadays can run pretty expensive if they don't have all of these wonderful machines! There is another video on youtube that shows how Allen Edmonds makes their shoes and it looks like they use the same old vintage machines as you see in this Thom Mcan video.

Actually, bespoke would be 100% andmade. That is an early Goodyear method. Superior (and more time consuming) than modern goodyear.

Actually, bespoke would be 100% andmade. That is an early Goodyear method. Superior (and more time consuming) than modern goodyear.

Bespoke makers also use machines. No Goodyear welting, but they're assisted by machines during the process.

Last edited:
come on now, these aren't the machines we're talking about here. Of course they're not handsewing all of the uppers (although SOME still do just that).

Perhaps not, and I understand some (very rare) still handsew the uppers but to say bespoke shoes are 100% handmade infers that no machine is ever used in the process. Simply not true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nebelschal