Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk about wool coats, jackets, and vests

Ben Langworthy

New in Town
Here are a few I can find pictures of. These Wools are my prized collection. I have others in storage, but no pictures I can find.

Hercules-I have 2 in this style

View attachment 632498 View attachment 632499 View attachment 632500

Not sure what brand this one is!?
View attachment 632502 View attachment 632503

This one came from England-Sportclad

View attachment 632504 View attachment 632507
Some really beautiful. jackets you've got there. got to be one of the best collections out there! I'm thrilled to have one of my own!

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I just looked at a little vintage advertising. You can hardly find a Woolrich ad without the inclusion of a shotgun, and in the few cases without a shotgun, they're backpacking a deer or dealing with a shot deer in some way. That's not the case for Filson advertisements. I'd be curious to see some laymen research on this. Did Filson never specifically hit the hunting market, or have they altered their marketing in the past couple of decades to be politically correct?

Buffalo plaid has become the "it" thing. I don't know about this season, but the past couple of seasons, it's been huge in fashion and home decor. It's weird. Urban Farmgirl country motif.

I don't believe any mill sells 100% wool anymore. I contacted Pendleton Woolen Mils a couple years ago, and they didn't sell any heavyweight/blanket weight 100% wool anymore. It was all a partially nylon blend, which isn't such a bad idea anyway, but finding fabric is probably very difficult.
I might be reviving an old thread, but about the vintage ads...
The woolritch buffalo plaid was specifically a hunting suit. The red and black was the equivalent of hunting in safety orange. Deer can’t differentiate between reds and greens so it was also Camouflage. (I don’t know when this was discovered, it was likely a happy accident) Those matching plaid coats and jackets were called a “Pennsylvania Tuxedo” and were seen all during hunting season.
Filson was marketed as North Western logging gear, and often worn with Wesco and similar boots. They also made US park ranger uniforms and canoeing gear. The wool whipcord they used to carry is amazing stuff. Rather than hunting clothing they were more like a proto-bushcrafting brand. Hunting was in there somewhere but not the main focus. Like the Nesmuck woodcraft book.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I might be reviving an old thread, but about the vintage ads...
The woolritch buffalo plaid was specifically a hunting suit. The red and black was the equivalent of hunting in safety orange. Deer can’t differentiate between reds and greens so it was also Camouflage. (I don’t know when this was discovered, it was likely a happy accident) Those matching plaid coats and jackets were called a “Pennsylvania Tuxedo” and were seen all during hunting season.
Filson was marketed as North Western logging gear, and often worn with Wesco and similar boots. They also made US park ranger uniforms and canoeing gear. The wool whipcord they used to carry is amazing stuff. Rather than hunting clothing they were more like a proto-bushcrafting brand. Hunting was in there somewhere but not the main focus. Like the Nesmuck woodcraft book.
They had some general winterwear, but you're right they primarily focused on outerwear for hunters.
Now they're just a hipster fashion brand and not only are their products overpriced they're also of fairly low quality.

I'm not sure if there's any traditional offerings out there these days that are on par with the vintage wool outerwear, even when the wool is dense and well milled 24oz is about the max with a couple 26oz wool hunting coats available a year or two ago.
I know modern woolrich is crap, Johnson woolen mills is okay for the money, and Filson is still decent quality though way overpriced, but I'm not sure about Bemidji woolen mills stormy Kromer or say Big Bill.

Bemidji could be a hidden gem if they're using the same Pendleton fabric as Filson, but I would not be surprised if it's a similar more loosely milled wool like JWM uses these days.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Red, White and Blue wool.

1724456849400.png

1724456867356.png
1724456892548.png

1724456944249.png
1724456960010.png
1724456981956.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members