Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Story of my First Leather Jacket

My Dad in 1931 at age 26 ( same age as my son is now ). He was an artist and Mechanical Engineer. Always wore a tie and smoked a pipe. I was his only child and we were very close. He bought me my first leather jacket when I was in Junior High. An a2 type. I wish I had a photo of it.

159201918_10222691473668785_6932821555661295143_n.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great history between you and your Grandfather, thanks for sharing, and you other guys too. I didn't know my grandfathers, but I was very close with my Dad, and I still have some of his jackets from the 1950s that I treasure: a suede casual jacket, a camel hair sportscoat, a grey car coat with fur trim, and one of his fishing club blazers. When we have known family like that, when we have learned from them and laughed with them and they've helped us grow and there's that special bond, we carry them around with us forever.

Vito2390

New in Town
Hi all,

I just wanted to share the story of how I came here and purchased my first quality leather jacket, a Vanson Chopper.

When I was a kid visiting my grandfather back in India, he would always take me places on his motorcycle, a Triumph. He had this old leather jacket, I don't know the brand, that he would wear to work every day. This thing was heavy. When he wasn't looking, I would put on his jacket that was way too large for my 5 year old self, and pretend I was him. That was the moment I knew I wanted to eventually ride a motorcycle like my grandfather, in addition to just wanting to be him.

For a few reasons, I have never been able to realize my dream as of yet. However, I wanted to at least have a cool jacket just like my grandfather. I was immediately drawn to the Vanson Chopper and began saving for one at the beginning of last year. I liked the weight and toughness of the competition weight leather, and the styling. But most importantly, it vaguely reminded me of the jacket my grandfather wore.

I recently achieved a milestone professionally, so i thought I could finally afford to spend the money. I found a chopper in my size available from Thurston Bros and took the plunge. It arrived today and I am overjoyed. This jacket reminds me of my grandfather even more than I thought it would. I feel like I have a connection with him that I can carry with me every day and even pass down to the next generation, as he passed his wisdom down to my brother and I. I am so happy I lurked here for about a year trying to find the perfect jacket. It has been a wonderful experience and I now have another way to remember my grandfather as I live by the principles he taught me.

Thank you for bearing with me through this rather long post. Do you all have any personal stories tied to any of your jackets? I'd love to hear them.
Great story! I love the writing style! I think that to write such a text you need certain knowledge. In my opinion, this is quite difficult to correctly implement in practice. I don't have that kind of writing talent. That's why I usually use the help of professionals from https://residencypersonalstatements.net/ a specialized online educational service that my friends recommended to me. Thanks to this approach, I can always count on excellent results.
Thank you,
Khilij
Interesting story!

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Not sure if i ever saw this thread. 1st was a black leather center zip from sears. 1987. I wanted to look like a heavy metal star but this was as bold as i had the courage to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg