Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sense of Smell and the Link to Memories

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

What a great thread! I have read somewhere that the sense of smell evokes the most vivid memories because it is our most primitive sense. It is the one that our humanoid ancestors first developed and most depended upon to survive. The information that it records to the brain, along with any information registered at the same time by the other senses, is in the brain forever, and is recalled whenever that particular smell or sent is encountered again.

Atticus

katiemakeup

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
The smell of kerosene triggers very strong sense-memories for me of my grandparents' home. They had no central heating, so the whole house was heated by two kerosene stoves, one in the living room and one in the kitchen -- and the house constantly smelled of the fuel. Some might find it an acrid, unpleasant odor, but for me it's the most comforting smell there is.

Oh my gosh- me too! When my sister & I were little we sometimes had to sleep in the doorways of our room during wintertime... the heat would always go out so my dad would place a kerosene heater in the hallway!

Also- After my maternal grandfather ('Papoo') passed, my mom placed his old fishing rods & hat out in their breezeway...everytime I go past I immediately smell tobacco & leather- they used to sit right at his desk:eek:

P

Phaedra

Fresh cut grass on a spring day reminds me of my grandparent's home in the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley