Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The School of Hard Knox

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
My Knox Twenty has one, the hat's from the late 40's.

4491467873_255c34c931.jpg

You'll like your Knox, they're my favorite vintage hat.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Scott Wood said:
That is one nice wind cord. Think I have to learn how to make those, maybe incorporate the lounge logo onto a button? [huh]

There's a thread on making your own wind trolley, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Making them with the FL logo is a great idea.

Scott Wood

Practically Family

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Memo said:
I found this dead stock Knox at Greenspan's in South Gate.

Whoa, Memo--Greenspan's is still there???? WOW!!!

:eek:fftopic:
South Gate is my hometown. I grew up there, living on San Vincente until around Christmas when I was in the fourth grade, and then on Washington Avenue about 2/3 of the block from Tweedy. I went to Bryson Avenue Elementary School (back when there was an actual playground), South Gate Junior High School, and graduated from South Gate High School in 1977.

My father lived in our house on Washington until his death about a year and a half ago.

I've not lived out there (So Cal) since I joined the USAF in 1980. I don't get out there very often. I still have family and friends in So Cal but no one I knew still lives in South Gate now that my father's gone though I understand that the father of a guy I grew up with is still there.

Oh, and welcome to the Lounge!

Cheers,
Tom

Memo

Familiar Face
Hi Tom,
Yeah Greenspan's is still there, you can find some pretty cool stuff there. I get all my pendleton shirts and milan hats there. When you come back to Southgate you should check it out.

jwalls

Vendor
Salty O'Rourke said:
My Knox Twenty has one, the hat's from the late 40's.

4491467873_255c34c931.jpg

You'll like your Knox, they're my favorite vintage hat.
Today I was sorting some wind strings from my collection and found two of this type. One black as above and one dark green.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Twenty

Picked up another Knox Twenty in brown. This one is a long oval. Also has the black trolley button with the logo.

B

knox_twenty_1.jpg

knox_twenty_2.jpg

knox_twenty_3.jpg

knox_twenty_4.jpg

knox_twenty_5.jpg

knox_twenty_6.jpg

knox_twenty_7.jpg

Kilguy

New in Town
Some help

Hello all,

I was hoping for some help on understanding vintage hats, I just purchased this brown Knox hat that came with the box, I'm thinking it dates from the 1950's, it appears that the hat was never worn. Any information would be helpful as I plan on collecting vintage hats and would like to one day know what I'm actually doing.. I paid $65 including delivery.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Nice Knox you've found!

Because it says "Charles Knox," it dates to October 1962 or later. I have no idea why Hat Corporation of America brought back Charles' name, and if was meant to replace the standard Knox label, or was a separate label.

Brad

deano

New in Town
Knox Jaguar

has anyone seen a Knox Jaguar
what sort of price would they be are they 60s and are they any good.
a lot of people are loving the knox twenty how would this rate against it?

buler

I'll Lock Up
deano said:
has anyone seen a Knox Jaguar
what sort of price would they be are they 60s and are they any good.
a lot of people are loving the knox twenty how would this rate against it?

Jaguar was 50s and 60s. The ads list it as a $15 hat at the time. There was still a $20 cav edge hat at that time. I've never handled one so I can't comment on quality.

JaguarAd

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88