Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

VoodooSan

Practically Family
Another new hat fact revealed at the lounge. (at least to me)
Especially when one considers how soon after WW11 this was.
A German manufactured Resistol.

It makes me think of how caught in the middle hat manufacturers must have been during and after that war. I can only surmise many companies did not survive. It’s good to see the ones that did. Kind of a peace partnership.

Lovely hat, and many thanks for your dedicated postings as always.
B

Ps: Happy Father’s Day to all that are and to those that aren’t…keep trying.
Thank you! Mayser also made Stetson Hats under license starting in the mid 1950s.

Thank you! Mayser also made Stetson Hats under license starting in the mid 1950s.
Yes, I have two of these. Nice hats.....
I even have a German made Dobbs!
I always suspected the appearance of these US brand, license made hats were made for the "Oversees American" market. There were a LOT of US service and government personnel oversees and it makes sense to offer brands they are/were familiar with.

GreatBritishWesterner

New in Town
New to me 3X Beaver Hand Creased Dakota in the original box. Color is Tan Belly. Crown is 4”, brim is 4” and band is 3/8” 3-ply grosgrain. Original price $18.50.

View attachment 616507 View attachment 616508 View attachment 616509 View attachment 616510 View attachment 616511 View attachment 616512 View attachment 616513 View attachment 616514 View attachment 616515
Interesting crown crease. I can see that as an Old West hat with a plain leather hatband or a concho decorated hatband worn upon the head of an Old West film character from the 1970s.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Interesting crown crease. I can see that as an Old West hat with a plain leather hatband or a concho decorated hatband worn upon the head of an Old West film character from the 1970s.
Yes, definitely Old West. I used a classic Tom Mix as inspiration. The tall crown and shape, wide brim with curl, and wide grosgrain ribbon are like a classic Tom Mix. However, I think a true Tom Mix has brim binding so I guess it is a poor man’s version.

Yes, I have two of these. Nice hats.....
I even have a German made Dobbs!
I always suspected the appearance of these US brand, license made hats were made for the "Oversees American" market. There were a LOT of US service and government personnel oversees and it makes sense to offer brands they are/were familiar with.
Yes, Dobbs too. I am not sure or I can't remember who had the license. I agree many Americans after the WWII.. My friend that owns a hat store in Augsburg said the Stetson - Mayser Hats sold at a higher price so didn't sell well.

georgie girl

One of the Regulars

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 17

GreatBritishWesterner

New in Town
Yes, definitely Old West. I used a classic Tom Mix as inspiration. The tall crown and shape, wide brim with curl, and wide grosgrain ribbon are like a classic Tom Mix. However, I think a true Tom Mix has brim binding so I guess it is a poor man’s version.
Actually, I tried brim binding once. It wasn't easy but even though it wasn't particularly good, it was not particularly bad either.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
I picked up this Panama at a garage sale two blocks from my house. The Mercantile is an old retailer in Missoula and according to my neighbor the hat was purchased there before WWII by a family member who was deployed and didn’t make it back. The hat has been stored in the cork hat box for all these years. Of course there is no way to verify the story or the age but the hat fits me and is in great condition.

I’m now officially ready for summer despite it only hitting 70 degrees today!

https://fortmissoulamuseum.org/exhibit/missoula-mercantile/

IMG_0198.jpeg
IMG_0199.jpeg
IMG_0200.jpeg
View attachment 622108

View attachment 622109 View attachment 622110 View attachment 622111
IMG_0205.jpeg
IMG_0206.jpeg

IMG_0196.jpeg

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I picked up this Panama at a garage sale two blocks from my house. The Mercantile is an old retailer in Missoula and according to my neighbor the hat was purchased there before WWII by a family member who was deployed and didn’t make it back. The hat has been stored in the cork hat box for all these years. Of course there is no way to verify the story or the age but the hat fits me and is in great condition.

I’m now officially ready for summer despite only hitting 70 degrees today!

View attachment 622104 View attachment 622105 View attachment 622106 View attachment 622107 View attachment 622108

View attachment 622109 View attachment 622110 View attachment 622111 View attachment 622112 View attachment 622113

That's a nice find, whatever the age. Great hat!

VoodooSan

Practically Family

I’m now officially ready for summer despite only hitting 70 degrees today!

View attachment 622104 View attachment 622105 View attachment 622106 View attachment 622107 View attachment 622108

View attachment 622109 View attachment 622110 View attachment 622111 View attachment 622112 View attachment 622113
Holy moly, Bill! What an AWESOME score, and thanks for including the article on the Mercantile!

One Drop

One of the Regulars

View attachment 622105 View attachment 622106 View attachment 622107 View attachment 622108

View attachment 622119

That's a beautiful Panama, lovely proportions, a real classic. Great score !

RBH

Bartender

View attachment 622105 View attachment 622106 View attachment 622107 View attachment 622108

View attachment 622119

img_0196-jpeg.622119

Great find!!!!
Looks perfect for you!!!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 622119
Super find, Bill. Great looking box, too.

Family members don't always remember dates correctly, but looking at the liner label, I believe they're right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth