Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

barrowjh

One Too Many
Here is a nice resistol western, won for the stunning price of only $12.84, $23 delivered - the listing - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...in2MUUQ%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT
-this is a copy of a post to 'westerns, anyone' and the ebay thread -
a Resistol 'Cutter Bill' Beaver 50 in silver belly sold at Cutter Bill Western World in Houston, 3 inch brim -
Picture26.jpg

Picture27.jpg

Picture28.jpg

Picture33.jpg

the 'Cutter Bill Beaver 50' logo, if you can see the small print -
Picture29.jpg

the store logo -
Picture30.jpg

Picture31.jpg

the liner is stitched in -
Picture32.jpg

I hope someone will help me put a time-frame on this Resistol. The quarter-horse 'Cutter Bill' was at his peak in about 1962, and the owner Rex Cauble would have opened the 'Cutter Bill Western World' by mid-60's (1965?). I'm trying to figure out where this Beaver 50 might have fit into the Resistol lineup. It is tempting to think that it was the same niche as the Stetson 7X $50 hat; top shelf 100% beaver felt, but we get that information from catalogs in the 1950's - this hat was a decade 'n half to two decades later, and Beaver 50 at that time might have been more equivalent to Stetson 20 (Sovereign) or Beaver 25 from the 1950's, which was a step (or more) down from a 7X. Maybe someone from Houston, or a Resistol officianado will help us out?

the crown is my version of a DTD/DC-C

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Its probably top quality felt. I have a 75 from ca. early 70's that is Clear Natural Beaver and as fine a finish as almost any hat encountered. the 7X Stetson was still $50 into the 60's.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I hope someone will help me put a time-frame on this Resistol. The quarter-horse 'Cutter Bill' was at his peak in about 1962 said:
The first Cutter Bills Western Wear shop I remember going into was the Houston store which I believe opened in the early '80s. I went there in 1983 and bought a Cutter Bill Panama "Rancher" creased straw for that summer. I don't think Rex Baucom had anything to do with the stores, as Rex Cauble was the owner of the palomino Cutter Bill. Here's a link to the story about Rex and Cutter Bill. :)
http://www.pokernews.com/news/2009/05/from-the-poker-vaults-rex-cauble-third-biggest-fish-6588.htm

Onward thru the Fog :)

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yes, I was confused about Rex's name, and I will edit the post to read Cauble. Thanks, monbla. I find it hard to believe the hat dates from the 1980s, but maybe that is possible. Stetson certainly was not still stitching in the liners at that time.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I was confused about Rex's name, and I will edit the post to read Cauble. Thanks, monbla. I find it hard to believe the hat dates from the 1980s, but maybe that is possible. Stetson certainly was not still stitching in the liners at that time.

That Cutter Bill logo looks the same as I remember was on my Panama which was a Resistol BTW. I don't recall seeing any Stetsons in the store then but it was summer when I went and there were few felts on display as I recall. They were an EXPENSIVE store to shop at as I remember also. VERY fashionable stuff they sold back then. :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

SteveAS

Practically Family
Too rich ? looks like it went for under $100.00 w/shipg!!! For an all beaver hat ? WOW :)

Why do you say it's "all beaver?" Unless I'm mistaken, a Resistol XXX Beaver has an unknown (to this board) proportion of beaver in its felt blend. As to price, remember, us small-headed gents are used to paying well under $100 for everything but Whippets! I got a considerably older (that the subject hat) Resistol XXX Beaver Fifteen Kitten Finish fedora, with Cavanagh edge last summer in pristine condition on ebay for under $50 shipped.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Why do you say it's "all beaver?" Unless I'm mistaken, a Resistol XXX Beaver has an unknown (to this board) proportion of beaver in its felt blend. As to price, remember, us small-headed gents are used to paying well under $100 for everything but Whippets! I got a considerably older (that the subject hat) Resistol XXX Beaver Fifteen Kitten Finish fedora, with Cavanagh edge last summer in pristine condition on ebay for under $50 shipped.

Oh my :) You mean it might NOT be all beaver :) Hummmmm :) $100.00 for a quality "beaver" hat in that condition sounds pretty good to me though I do agree it's a bit on the small side :)

I like the canyon color. Most of the nice resistols I see are silver belly, but whenever a nice resistol vintage western comes along in a tan color, apparently everybody else out there wants it too. This one got too rich for me, looks like a really nice hat :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280615990499&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It does indeed look like a really nice hat. It's a "Kitten Finish" to boot. Looks like somebody got a solid deal.

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I like the canyon color. Most of the nice resistols I see are silver belly, but whenever a nice resistol vintage western comes along in a tan color, apparently everybody else out there wants it too. This one got too rich for me, looks like a really nice hat :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280615990499&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I don't believe this hat is all that vintage it is using the common tag that Stetson and Resistol still uses today.

CC

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Here is the only Resistol hat I've got.

It's a gray, "kitten finish" fedora. 2-1/2 inch brim. size 7, extra long oval.

I would guess 1950s, I suppose. But I am not sure.

5392277636_679fb63812.jpg

5391677605_2e44d72a00.jpg

5392277470_37e10b9a66.jpg

5392277578_cf5dc574c4.jpg

5391677751_76a19261b7.jpg

5392277506_5583526bda.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe