Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Oldest Brew

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Pabst? Uggghhh!

Having spent my early drinking days in the hometown of one of their breweries (Peoria), I passed on Pabst very early on. I certainly can't imagine anyone thinking this beer is chic, let alone good! It always tasted a bit "green" to me as though it needed more time to ferment. The old timers always helped it along with a good dose from the salt shaker.

Anchor Steam is a favorite, as are Rolling Rock and Blue Moon, but when it comes to spicy fare...break open the Red Stripe!! ;)

As an aside, it's amazing how local breweries died out in the middle of last century. It used to be that virtually evey town in the Midwest had a locally brewed beer. In Warsaw, Illinois, it was Burgermeister; in Springfield, it was Reisch; in Peoria, it was Gipps Amberlin (with it's great slogan: "Gimme Gipps!")

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Our one brewery makes it best

Genesee. I have read they created the first light beer Fife and Drum, at least in the 1960s if not before. Now Fife and Drum is called Genny Light. You all may have heard of Genesee Cream Ale, if you've heard of Genny at all.
Guinness on tap.
Gosser, when I'm in Austria.
What's that beer my brother would stock up on when I'd visit him in Cambridge, Massachusetts? It had a rebus in the bottle cap.
When I am at a beer place that doesn't serve Genesee, and I don't want a Guinness, I order some sort of Budweiser. It if was good enough for Alice Cooper, it's good enough for me.
I am not fussy about beer anymore. I prefer liquor.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
The Alamo is a fun theater, the only one I know of in Texas that you can drink a beer and have dinner while watching the movie. There are two or three in Austin and one in Houston now, but that first one in Austin is the best!

And Shiner Bock is the preferred local brewery in Texas! Good Stuff! If I'm not drinking Shiner then it's usually Guinness. Houston also has a good local brewery called Saint Arnold Brewing Co.. They do it the old fashioned way there, and have some really good seasonal brews. It's not one of those restaurants that make beer as an attraction either, but a real honest-to-goodness brewery.

Hondo

One Too Many
Black Label

Black Label beer used to be a classic, easy to drink, very mild, found in most bars and liqueur stores in its day, it’s probably one of the cheapest beers found today, if you can find it, and has a rich history along with Miller, (Miller HighLife, can you recall the jiggle, Miller HighLife the Champagne of bottled beer..) Falstaff, I like it when I can find a six pack, its mostly found in quart bottles, which I hate, you used to see commericals about Black Label with people dressed up in its day pouring a glass of Black Label;)

http://members.tripod.com/corzman69/id23.htm

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Wasn't aware PBR was a hip thing. I got it every once in awhile when it cost considerably less than everything else (5 dollar pitchers were clutch at the local burger place).

In places I often find myself, the "hip" beers to drink are things like Guinness, New Castle and Fat Tire Amber Ale. Of course those all cost the extra dollar. Which is why I end up with Bud Light or something equally terrible (but bearable). When I can afford to be particular: I dig mightily Red Stripe Jamaican lager.

I would be interested in hearing what the legitly oldest brewery in America is.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
BegintheBeguine said:
What's that beer my brother would stock up on when I'd visit him in Cambridge, Massachusetts? It had a rebus in the bottle cap.

Ah yes, that would be Narragansett -- "Our Own New England Beer," originally brewed in Cranston, RI.

I had my first sip of beer at the age of four when my father offered me a swig of his 'Gansett, and it was so awful I never touched another drop until I was 22 years old. But the rebuses were fun!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, thanks LizzieMaine, that name doesn't ring any bells but it was a loooong time ago. There was one rebus we never could figure out, have to find where I hid my bottle-cap collection.
Had Shiner Bock first and second times I went to Killeen, Texas this year, enjoyed it.
Grolsch. Tastes like clam chowder.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Baron Kurtz said:
By drinking PBR you can connect with the Chicago construction worker sitting in Rigley watching the Cubs lose AGAIN
Sorry Baron, not too many construction workers sitting in the stands at Wrigley these days. The Bleacher Bums, they are no more. :cry:

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
We have a little bar in the balcony at the theatre where I work (a very civilized way to watch a movie), and we have Pabst on tap for $2 a glass. Whenever we do a college-type film festival, we sell out of the stuff. It's very hip and trendy right now -- hard tellin' why.

I drink Guinness myself. It's Good For You!

:eusa_clap
The prefect brew.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Guinness?
my creepy guinness poster
IMG_2738.jpg

Barry

Practically Family
If I can make it to the UK this Winter I'm going to pick up a Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) guide and seek out a good pub with real ale. The best I can find in DC is bottled bitter. Bluebird is good but I'm dying to try the real thing.

Barry

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Two words for you: Blue Velvet.

I'm thinking that most of the people in the 21 to 25 age bracket are drinking it more for the irony factor than because of a reference in that movie. Just my impression. I've seen the same phenomenon with Miller High Life, for example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley