Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Nice! Any idea on time or place?

Turns out it's listed as the Stetson Showroom, 220 Fifth Ave, circa 1910.

Full pic (click for larger image)

stetson_showroom_circa_1910_220_fifth_ave.jpg
B

buler

I'll Lock Up
A second shot of the Stetson showroom.

B
attachment.php

Attachments

• stetson_showroom_circa_1910_220_fifth_ave2.jpg
    stetson_showroom_circa_1910_220_fifth_ave2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 422

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Thanks, Buler! The those exquisite pictures reminded me...I recall sitting in some department store, about twenty years back, next to an older gentleman. We were waiting on our spouses, and he was telling me of the old days up in St. Joseph, MO, which at the time was quite the place for clothes, hats, and furs. This gent said that when you'd go into a furrier's shop, your wife would be whisked away to fitting and changing rooms; the attendants would bring you a cigar and a drink--maybe a scotch or a brandy--and make you as comfortable as you'd be in one of the old-world men's clubs. These hat shop pictures made me think they'd be similar in feel.

A

Mystic

Practically Family
I've been reading a book about Meyer Lansky the notorious "Mafia Banker", The "Chairman of the Board". Many photos...Notice the different brim widths, Lansky's is a tall crown "stingy" brim.
IMG_2035_zps117bca81.jpg
[/IMG]

Interesting excerpt from book: "In a closet by the door (Meyer's home den) Meyer kept a wooden hat block on which sat one of his pearl-grey Cavanaugh hats. In his bedroom closet sat another wooden hat block with an identical hat placed carefully upon it to preserve its shape."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007