Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hat Style Sensation of 1938

rlk

I'll Lock Up
TYROLEAN!!!!
4725731726_ab788d1819_b.jpg

4725713540_bccb11cb1b_b.jpg
4725064689_208976f77c_b.jpg

4725717546_2db0aafc39_b.jpg
4725068731_a4e72e4439_b.jpg

4725076409_671ae216cc_b.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
4725078641_5a0c8a0497_b.jpg

4725083413_715087c709_b.jpg

4725710768_9efcbcb8b1_b.jpg

4725709380_2bbd47e9ff_b.jpg

NYTimes complains about 1893 Alpine Hat Revival:
THE ALPINE HAT.

May 28, 1893, Wednesday
Page 4, 600 words
No person of good taste can view without distrust the revival of the so-called Alpine hat. Last Fall a feeble attempt was made to bring this article of wearing apparel, which is properly described by the hatters as "natty headgear," into use, but it was confined to persons who habitually own more than one hat, and know, moreover, how to use a hat. [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9B02E4DD103BEF33A2575BC2A9639C94629ED7CF

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks.

and like that, a signature is born :D

-"Don't forget, we had a hatless fad once..."

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Sterling Holloway is quite pleased to receive one of those hats for Christmas in REMEMBER THE NIGHT (1940), written by Preston Sturges, directed by Mitchel Leisen, and starring Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to Hitler it took 20 years for the style cycle to return. Your fuzzy or stingy hat from 1960 is perhaps more authentic late 1930's style than the IJ;)

tnitz

New in Town
Ahhh....

The hat that has always eluded me. I just can't wear them.

Thank you ALOT for sharing this series of write-ups, it's nice to pinpoint a style's appearance like this.

I recall buying my first "good" Tyrolian. From three really nice ones, I chose the Stetson over the Austrian ones, it was just a bit nicer overall. As much as I wanted to wear it and use it, it just never, ever, looked good on me. After years of having it sit around, I finally got rid of it.

I used to say that I don't recall ever owning a wool felt hat. These ads made me realize that I did have a turquoise Tyrolian as a kid that I am pretty sure was purchased at Ringling Bros. circus. I no longer recall what circus act inspired the purchase, I only remember riding the elephant.

Am awaiting a Bluegrass Camp Draft and one possibility in mind is trying, perhaps for the last time, to make a Tyrolian that looks good on me...

Robert, Thank you for posting the article. I noticed the Brüder Böhm advert. I have never been able to find one of their hats. I have a couple 1960s Böhm hats.

tnitz

New in Town
Dressy Example

By the way, I was watching Ocean's Eleven the other day and noted in the beginning that the financier was wearing a sharp looking navy Tyrolean with bronze cord wrap with his navy vest and bronze tie (and a bronzy tweed jacket) VERY sharp but made me wonder if he had a different hat for every vest and tie combo.

I have to admit that I blame the Tyrolian for the end of hat wearing as we once knew it...

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I looked...

...and looked at Tyroleans while in Garmisch a few years ago. I just couldn’t bring myself to buy one. My father-in-law had one with a number of the badges from his visits. Worked for him, not for me.

Yes Brüder Böhm was Jewish owned. After the war the family went back to Vienna and started making hats again under Böhm. The hat factories (also Hückel and Peschel) in Nový Jičín, Czechoslovakia were nationalized after WWII.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
Fletch & rik, thanks for the much needed perspective. Never again.

nazihelmet.jpg

Hat Style Sensation of 1939

Note the caerfully hammered edge! (Satire!)

Yes, there was a lot of unpleasent disturbance and utterly unheard of hardship during and after the twelve years. Not only in the hat industry.

The Sky Ranger

New in Town
My father was a "Hat-Man", he had some fifty hats.
But never did he wear a "Tirolerhut", he considered them to be "tasteless".
As a "sports hat" he used to wear straw hats (mostly Panamas), Trilbies or Pork Pies,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth