Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Gatsby - Remake in the Works

MissMittens

One Too Many
Rutgers isn't an Ivy League college.

No it's certainly not. Fitzgerald went to Princeton, Rutgers was Princeton's "poor neighbor", hence the quote. Educated, but not as refined as Princeton men, but certainly not ruffians or the underclass Fitzgerald assumed bootleggers would be.

At least he didn't mention the Rutger's women's basketball team :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Absolutely. My only qualm about the whole thing is Luhrman. I'm not prepared to write it off on the basis of the trailer, but "from the director of Moulin Rouge" are words that chill me to the bone.
Yep.....Moulin Rouge was a fun kind of quirky, very fadish, and campy collage of old songs with a new twist....but certainly not deep....more of the 'disposable art' kind of thing...like 'electro-swing' or the Dept store 'Stingy' take on the fedora....But it would be nice to see 'The Great Gatsby" treated more seriously than it has been in the past....I don't think Luhrman has it in him...I'd love to be proven wrong....Now hearing it's in 3D...sounds like I won't be...

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
No it's certainly not. Fitzgerald went to Princeton, Rutgers was Princeton's "poor neighbor", hence the quote. Educated, but not as refined as Princeton men, but certainly not ruffians or the underclass Fitzgerald assumed bootleggers would be.

At least he didn't mention the Rutger's women's basketball team :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK I get it. More refined and better spoken than he expected but a little rough around the edges. His depiction of Gatsby fits the same description. Rich, smart up to a point, but if you look close you can see he comes from the wrong side of the tracks. The tells being things that would be obvious to someone from the upper class but not necessarily obvious to someone who wasn't.

There are a lot of subtleties to The Great Gatsby that are not obvious on first acquaintance. Like a comment made by an old time newspaperman. He read the book shortly after it was published, when he was in his teens, and was impressed by Gatsby. After working as a reporter for a few years he realized that a guy like Gatsby would last about a week if he got mixed up with a bunch of real gangsters. And that is more or less what happened in the book. I don't know if the reporter ever figured out that Fitzgerald knew what he was doing or not.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I don't recall if it was mentioned here but this film is going to be released in 3D? Is this a film that would benefit from the effect?

I'd probably see the film but absolutely not at 3D ticket prices. This entire 3D fad is starting to stink of price gouging.

My cynical side thinks that its 3D because Baz Luhrmann thinks that his musical numbers would be "really awesome" in 3D, so just imagine a Charleston equivalent of the Can Can song/dance from Moulin Rouge...

Yep imagine a 3D version of Jim Broadbent jumping out at you yelling, "Can you Can Can Can Can?!" :eusa_doh:

[video=youtube;0W5VwR1ZiQs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W5VwR1ZiQs[/video]

Alice~

One of the Regulars
I'm very hopeful about this! I loved the book, and I also loved Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet. I haven't seen any productions of The Great Gatsby, this will be my first and I'm very much looking forward to it. I thought the trailer was stunning - though I was a little bit disappointed about the music as I'm very fond of the 20s. But a modern twist is to be expected with Luhrmann, I suppose, hopefully he pulls it off well. :)

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
As to the 3D fad, I can not stand it, it actually gives me a headache I have tried to watch a few 3D movies in the past few years, however at this point I have given up on them. I do agree that I hope this film is treated seriously, perhaps it will be I will go see it of that I am sure, I will not see it in 3D.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The release date for this film has just been pushed back from December 2012 to sometime in the summer of 2013.

Allegedly NOT because the film won't be ready on time, but because the studio considers the holiday film season too crowded for Gatsby to find its proper audience.

Okay, even more time to rage in advance at Baz for ruining the Great American Novel...

Edward

Bartender

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Yes the articles should be coming out now for the orginal release of december. Now it has been moved to next year. I wonder what Brooks Brother will do they where planning on a Gatsby line of men's clothles. Will be interested in seeing if these show up this fall.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
The trouble with 3D movies is that they are made to emphasize the 3D and they end up with 2D stories and characters.

Even though I do not expect the movie to be like the book (as very few movies even come close). I do hope it becomes very popular to help bring back good clothing (or clothing inspired by good clothing) for at least a little while.

mummyjohn

Familiar Face
So much negativity! I never knew so many people were actively not Luhrmann fans. And the notion that a movie's credibility diminishes merely because it's in 3-D? That's certainly judging the book by its cover.

The delay was shocking news, but I think WB's got the film's well-being in mind. It's far enough out that it seems like a legitimate move; when it's something like the delay of the second G.I. Joe movie five weeks before the release, it generally indicates a lack of studio faith in the quality of the product.

Here's Variety's brief article on the Gatsby rescheduling, among other.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118057499

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
If the picture has that caterwauling as a musical score, I don't think that I could sit through the thing, regardless of any of its other merits.

What was that awful wailing noise behind
the trailer?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
If the picture has that caterwauling as a musical score, I don't think that I could sit through the thing, regardless of any of its other merits.

the trailer?

A rather intriguing song by someone who was very influenced by Steven Tyler.

I look forward to seeing this. I like Baz Lurhman's work, although honestly, his movies get progressively better as you go back in time, with Strictly Ballroom being by far the best. What worries me though, is Toby Maguire. Not that worried though, never particularly enjoyed the book.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
A rather intriguing song by someone who was very influenced by Steven Tyler.
QUOTE]

That explains a lot!

Hated Aerosmith when it was still fresh and new.

Never thought that what Tyler did was in the least musical, but then my taste in music is informed by a different cultural context.

As a youngster, I visited Irving Kaufman, who was a favorite of mine. I even like Sid Garry!

If one idealises cast iron tonsils those two old-timers might be better examples than the self-proclaimed "Demon of Screamin", a singer-songwriter (YIKES!)who, I think epitomizes all that went wrong with music in the post-war period.

This trogloditic rant completed, I can return to playing a recording of the Cassini Ensemble scraping away at that post-modern masterpiece "Ode to a Mock-Turtle".

mummyjohn

Familiar Face

the trailer?

I certainly hope you're not referencing Jack White's blisteringly soulful cover Love is Blindness? Every time I listen to it, it sounds like he had decided for this song to bypass the guitar and just plug his heartstrings right into the amp. I can practically hear the tubes screaming for mercy.

Myself, I was nervous about the Tobey Maguire choice as well (never a particular fan of his), while re-reading the book this Summer I think he has what it takes to pull it off. Not an obvious shoe-in, of course - no final statements can be made until we see the final print - but I think he's got the right stuff.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe