Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

rumblefish

One Too Many
Anyone else digging the collaborations theses days. Victory/Stone/Dogfish Head's- Saison is on deck.

I'm having this tonight at the beach club. From Green Flash and St. Feuillien, a blonde of sorts- made with rye and wheat.
DSC04212.jpg

Food better be good.:p

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I prefer white beers (not light/yellow beers) such as Blanche de Quebec, and Blanche de Chambly:

blanche_chambly2.jpg

I'm also very fond of fruit beers, such as Liefmans Cherry beer, etc:

293_632925707316250000.jpg

At the other end of the spectrum, I quite enjoy some dark beers, like coffee beer:

cocktail_cool_coffee_porter.jpg

Ok, now I need some beer!
X
BD

PS I like Guinness too, occasionally

LordBest

Practically Family
Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. Tried it because Weihenstephan is the oldest brewary in the world (Seit 1040). Quite thrilled to discover the beer was superb as well.

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
Black Dahlia said:
I prefer white beers (not light/yellow beers) such as Blanche de Quebec, and Blanche de Chambly:

blanche_chambly2.jpg

I'm also very fond of fruit beers, such as Liefmans Cherry beer, etc:

293_632925707316250000.jpg

At the other end of the spectrum, I quite enjoy some dark beers, like coffee beer:

cocktail_cool_coffee_porter.jpg

Ok, now I need some beer!
X
BD

PS I like Guinness too, occasionally

Nice one, good choice! You may like to try a glass or two of this:

st-patricks-beer-hoegaarden-ss.jpg

Cheers!

Danny O

p.s. Guinness and occasionally, don't really go together. Far better to say, Guinness and regularly!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Danny Ocean said:
Nice one, good choice! You may like to try a glass or two of this:

st-patricks-beer-hoegaarden-ss.jpg

Cheers!

Danny O

p.s. Guinness and occasionally, don't really go together. Far better to say, Guinness and regularly!

I don't mind Hoegaarden actually. Hmm...beer....

So funny...Guinness and regularly! I prefer it with cider, a Black Velvet. ;0
X
BD

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Black Velvets are good. I went to an Irish Bar in the Plaza at KC, and they served Guinness and cider but called it a Snakebite. According to internet sources, a Snakebite is Guinness and Lager. We used to do that one in college. 1 Guinness in a pitcher of Pabst, that way the whole thing tasted like Guinness.

Later

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
Duvel is a personal favorite, though I usually play around with the seasonals from the bigger names (Sam, New Belgium, etc)
duvel2-399x266.jpg

Her pouring technique is horrendous, but, for some strange reason, I don't really care....

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
Black Dahlia said:
I don't mind Hoegaarden actually. Hmm...beer....

So funny...Guinness and regularly! I prefer it with cider, a Black Velvet. ;0
X
BD

"I prefer it with cider" - Personally, I prefer it with a couple more! Try a Black Velvet with champagne, instead of cider.

And the Guinness in Dublin definitely tastes different from other parts of the world! ;o)

Danny O

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
1961MJS, I've heard them referred to as Snakebites also, and Black Halos. ;)

HHISIII, that made me laugh out loud! Methinks you are mesmerized!

Danny - thanks for the idea, I've never tried that, but certainly will. If I ever get to Dublin, I'll be sure to have some!

X
BD

Rock31

Familiar Face
rumblefish said:
Anyone else digging the collaborations theses days. Victory/Stone/Dogfish Head's- Saison is on deck

Sounds amazing, really looking forward to this now, thanks for the heads up!

Liquor store by my does not have it!!

Guess I will have to keep an eye out for it.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
rumblefish said:
Anyone else digging the collaborations theses days. Victory/Stone/Dogfish Head's- Saison is on deck.

Saison du Buff is really great, but it's something you must drink with food. Intensely herbal and somewhat astringent. Very interesting beer. I had it with some rosemary chicken.

There are a great number of Belgian ales being brought in and Belgian style ales being brewed here in the US. Belgium has a remarkable variety of brews that are special to Belgium but they also make some fantastic regular lagers and ales. One I liked was John Martin Pale Ale, but I haven't seen it in ages.

I used to enjoy the Belgian ales that have the yeast flavor profiles that are unusual or wild flavors. One flavor that waned in my likes is the one that to me is a musty basement flavor / aroma. Now many of those coming in or being made here have the flavor profile and I don't like it much so Belgians have dropped in my lists of favorites.

I don't like many fruit beers and the spiced ales I had an unfortunate evening that does not allow me to enjoy anymore. Too bad, but the number of other choices continues to grow so I able to find great stuff.

I got to enjoy Firestone DBA, Double Barreled Ale, which is well done. I also had an Eye of the Hawk IPA from I think Mendicino Brewing that was an eye opener because in the past I considered it a hoppy ale but after some years of the intense West Coast hopping styles I found Eye of the Hawk to be a beautiful balance of malt and hopps.

It's neat to me how as the styles and tastes change my opinion of various brews change over time.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
I don't like many fruit beers and the spiced ales I had an unfortunate evening that does not allow me to enjoy anymore. Too bad, but the number of other choices continues to grow so I able to find great stuff.

:(

I'm fond of them, but some are far, far too sugary for my liking. I long to try Fruili, but it's not available here.

X
BD

fruli.gif

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Sam Adams

Being a New Englander I'm partial to Sam Adams. Not b/c it is all THAT great but... well... as a Tankee, it is kind of my duty. The new Coastal Wheat is JUST AMAZING. I loved it. In fact, I can't wait to crack one open out in the yard later tonight.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
no...

Adcurium said:
Being a New Englander I'm partial to Sam Adams. Not b/c it is all THAT great but... well... as a Tankee, it is kind of my duty. The new Coastal Wheat is JUST AMAZING. I loved it. In fact, I can't wait to crack one open out in the yard later tonight.

Yankee. as a Yankee. Tankee is what we get when we drink too many Sam's....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun