Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Good News Thread

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK, I'll chip in. As many of you know, I do a little acting here in New York. I haven't done anything in just about a year because I'm just TIRED. But within 48 hours I had two offers for small parts, one in a short film (no lines, which is OK with me), and in a graduate student production at Columbia University of a Harold Pinter play (small role, fun character, fun scene). No pay, of course. But a good feeling to know that people are aware of me. :)

You never know what it's going to lead to, either!

OK, I'll chip in. As many of you know, I do a little acting here in New York. I haven't done anything in just about a year because I'm just TIRED. But within 48 hours I had two offers for small parts, one in a short film (no lines, which is OK with me), and in a graduate student production at Columbia University of a Harold Pinter play (small role, fun character, fun scene). No pay, of course. But a good feeling to know that people are aware of me. :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I just got good news in the form of an email: a job I applied to 6 weeks ago has gotten back to me to request an interview. It's not the field of law I want to practice in, but these guys are sharks in the courtroom and the position involves advocacy training.

I've trained myself not to get excited when an opportunity comes up, because so far it hasn't lead anywhere... But a girl can hope.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I just got good news in the form of an email: a job I applied to 6 weeks ago has gotten back to me to request an interview. It's not the field of law I want to practice in, but these guys are sharks in the courtroom and the position involves advocacy training.

I've trained myself not to get excited when an opportunity comes up, because so far it hasn't lead anywhere... But a girl can hope.
Best of luck with the interview, and hope you get the job. It's best not to get excited but there's never any harm in hoping.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Best of luck with the interview, and hope you get the job. It's best not to get excited but there's never any harm in hoping.

Thank-you very much :) It's hard to stay optimistic these days, never mind excited. One of the first interviews I went on after college for a job I would have killed for went super well, and I was over the moon. I was so sure I nailed it, I started picking which restaurant to celebrate at before I got the call. The guy called me and told me how great I was and how much he liked me, but he'd picked someone with more experience. I was so bitterly disappointed, I haven't been excited about any interview since.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Best of luck on the interview, C-dot! Interviewing was a new thing for me six years ago. I had a hard time getting interviews, and when I did I thought I did fairly well (and feedback from a couple of them confirmed that.) But still I'd go home and usually never hear anything. It does get very frustrating, but keep that hope alive. Without it, we don't get anywhere.

LoveMyHats2, I was just telling my wife the other day that my favorite steak is the porterhouse, but they seem difficult to come by these days. I'm sure you enjoyed them!

Good luck on your plans, Undertow!

Dhermann1, sounds terrific. As you say, it's good to know that people are aware of you and think well enough of you to seek you out for these opportunities. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Tom

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thank-you very much :) It's hard to stay optimistic these days, never mind excited. One of the first interviews I went on after college for a job I would have killed for went super well, and I was over the moon. I was so sure I nailed it, I started picking which restaurant to celebrate at before I got the call. The guy called me and told me how great I was and how much he liked me, but he'd picked someone with more experience. I was so bitterly disappointed, I haven't been excited about any interview since.
I know the feeling of disappointment after not getting the job after the interview as I had it twice this summer. What's even worse is when the interviewers don't even make the effort to phone you and tell you they gave the job to anyone else. The worst was a recruitment firm who asked me to come for an interview even though I hadn't applied for the job (they saw I spoke German on my profile in a recruitment website) and then left me in the belief I would enter the next stage of my recruitment; a week later I called them and was told they'd been too busy to phone me and had given to job to someone else.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's the GOOD NEWS thread Lady's and Gentlemen. *Try* to keep it positive and upbeat 'please' as this is the place we want to come to *to get cheered up* by all your "Good News" stories and bounce away on a HIGH!! :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It's the GOOD NEWS thread Lady's and Gentlemen. *Try* to keep it positive and upbeat 'please' as this is the place we want to come to *to get cheered up* by all your "Good News" stories and bounce away on a HIGH!! :)

My apologies for lowering the tone Paddy.

I'm going out to see my friends from Stafford for the last time tonight as I move to Lincoln on Friday. Does that count as good news :p?

And also, my girlfriend has two very healthy two week old baby cockatiels which currently resemble some sort of greek mythical creature.

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

My apologies too!

Those cockatiels sound adorable, avedwards :) And Tango Yankee, thanks for the optimistic thoughts.

Good news, I'm on Vacation all week! Trying to catch up on chores. Changing oil, working on my cars, cleaning the house, etc, etc. Not making much headway it's just too easy to Lounge around and do little!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Went to a writer's conference in Denver, Colorado, over the weekend and met with an agent. She requested to look at the first two chapters of my novel. Yay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe