Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I get automated phone calls from campaigning politicians, I enjoy giving full vent to my family heritage of colorful, colorful language.

What I hate is being besieged by campaigners when I'm at the store who want me to sign their petitions. In those instances I usually claim to be Canadian (i.e. noncitizen who can't vote).
Well, it's either that or claim to be a felon!

:p

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Funny because I have noticed that quite a few on the Left in the US do not like to be called Liberal anymore. The preferred euphemism when describing themselves is "Progressive."

Progressive, as I have seen it used, is a term meant to refer to a very liberal person who has a distinct set of views from liberals in general.

So if you are a Progressive, you are a Liberal. But you can be a Liberal but not a Progressive.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Funny because I have noticed that quite a few on the Left in the US do not like to be called Liberal anymore. The preferred euphemism when describing themselves is "Progressive."

I don't care for "Liberal" myself, simply because since the '70s popular culture has given it an effete, preening Mike Stivic connotation. If you have to call me something, call me a communitarian. Or a New Dealer. Or a labor-lefty. Or even a pinko, if we're friends. I wear all those terms as a badge of honor.

A "Progressive" to me is a follower of Fighting Bob LaFollette. Who would be an ultra-radical by the standards of today.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What I hate is being besieged by campaigners when I'm at the store who want me to sign their petitions. In those instances I usually claim to be Canadian (i.e. noncitizen who can't vote).
Well, it's either that or claim to be a felon!

:p

Yep. I do that myself, unless it's a cause I believe in and have the time to sign.

Of course, the day a pot-legalization campaigner tries to get me to sign a petition is the day I might actually *become* a felon.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
For those outside the US, this is one of those cheesy "Hallmark holidays" the Boys came up with to sell more cards and flowers, and the manager went in big for it. The first year I was there, I was astonished to see that when Secretary's Day rolled around, all the women in the office got flowers.
I don't suppose all the single guys in the office got some sort of gift on Palm Sunday.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I don't care for "Liberal" myself, simply because since the '70s popular culture has given it an effete, preening Mike Stivic connotation. If you have to call me something, call me a communitarian. Or a New Dealer. Or a labor-lefty. Or even a pinko, if we're friends. I wear all those terms as a badge of honor.

I'm reminded of an undergrad professor (and Pre-law mentor) who was known for taking out his wallet, waving it in the air, and proclaiming, "I'm a Marxist! Money makes the world go 'round !"

He was a terrific old guy, and he was no Marxist by any definition. He attended church every Sunday, advised his students to specialize in corporate related law (because, "That's where the money is!") and never pushed the underlying dialectic currents of class struggle. He was, certainly, an economic determinist... and to that end I think many a true Trotskyite would deem him naïve. It broke my heart to hear that he passed away during my second year of law school: more than any other person on the earth I wanted him to attend my being sworn in as a member of the bar.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

I don't think much of character actor R. Lee Ermey: having grown up around older Marines who likely saw things many times more horrifying and dehumanizing in the Pacific than he was ever exposed to- yet never embraced that childish oo-rah crap that he has overplayed to the point of stereotype. I find that usual spiel annoying, sophomoric, and actually belittling to Marines of the class of E. B. Sledge (With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa). He has milked that G/Sgt. Hartmann bit to death for the last 27 years.

But I give him credit, and even a bit of grudging respect, for recognizing in an interview (in which he was uncharacteristically thoughtful and well spoken) the superb performance that Vincent D'Onofrio put forth in that film as "Private Gomer Pyle." D'Onofrio put on an additional 70 pounds of weight for the role of the overweight oafish recruit, and even suffered a knee injury requiring surgery as result of the weight gain. There are actors- and then there are those who give their all to a role. D'Onofrio certainly did that in Full Metal Jacket.

Just wanted to drop off this interesting and bipartisan analogy. Simple concept, great perspective.

My Doc and I were having an unusual conversation (hard to believe, but I can get off topic, even there) about the polarized state of politics in the world, and how politicians in the US (or anywhere else) are difficult, no, impossible to believe because of the nature of what they do. Impossible to believe about most anything, ever. It is the Doc's feeling that politics are, exactly like religion, a matter of faith. The more I thought about it, the more I agree. Either you believe, or you don't. Either you believe Hillary, or you don't. Either you believe Christy, or you don't, etc., etc., ETC. But everyone KNOWS for sure they're right, right? YOU are right, IMO, LizzieMaine, whatever happened to nuance, respect?

Last edited:
I don't think much of character actor R. Lee Ermey: having grown up around older Marines who likely saw things many times more horrifying and dehumanizing in the Pacific than he was ever exposed to- yet never embraced that childish oo-rah crap that he has overplayed to the point of stereotype. I find that usual spiel annoying, sophomoric, and actually belittling to Marines of the class of E. B. Sledge (With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa). He has milked that G/Sgt. Hartmann bit to death for the last 27 years.

But I give him credit, and even a bit of grudging respect, for recognizing in an interview (in which he was uncharacteristically thoughtful and well spoken) the superb performance that Vincent D'Onofrio put forth in that film as "Private Gomer Pyle." D'Onofrio put on an additional 70 pounds of weight for the role of the overweight oafish recruit, and even suffered a knee injury requiring surgery as result of the weight gain. There are actors- and then there are those who give their all to a role. D'Onofrio certainly did that in Full Metal Jacket.

Originally actor Bill McKinney was tapped for the role of G/Sgt Hartman. McKinney's most memorable role was in Deliverance as the mountain man in the infamous "Squeal like a Pig" scene. Reportedly Kubrick eventually cast R. Lee Ermey instead because he, Kubrick, was "afraid to meet the mountain man from Deliverance."

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I'm reminded of an undergrad professor (and Pre-law mentor) who was known for taking out his wallet, waving it in the air, and proclaiming, "I'm a Marxist! Money makes the world go 'round !"

He was a terrific old guy, and he was no Marxist by any definition. He attended church every Sunday, advised his students to specialize in corporate related law (because, "That's where the money is!") and never pushed the underlying dialectic currents of class struggle. He was, certainly, an economic determinist... and to that end I think many a true Trotskyite would deem him naïve. It broke my heart to hear that he passed away during my second year of law school: more than any other person on the earth I wanted him to attend my being sworn in as a member of the bar.

A friend, guide, and teacher, and a deep personal loss. A mentor is a great gift and trust in your heart that he was there in spirit. :eusa_clap

pawineguy

One Too Many
Originally actor Bill McKinney was tapped for the role of G/Sgt Hartman. McKinney's most memorable role was in Deliverance as the mountain man in the infamous "Squeal like a Pig" scene. Reportedly Kubrick eventually cast R. Lee Ermey instead because he, Kubrick, was "afraid to meet the mountain man from Deliverance."

Haha, no, he moved him from tech adviser to the actual role because his training tapes were so good. Kubrick allowed him to change his lines and most of his scenes were completed in 3-4 takes, both exceedingly rare for Kubrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth