Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Pretty popular round here of late.

The Bundys were fun. Stuff I hated was rubbish like Friends where you were supposed to like them..
I think that show appealed to a certain age group and type. My sister had weekly viewing parties at her home when Friends was one. However, they were all the same age as the people on the show were supposed to be and her friends were all "the pretty people", like the Friends were.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I always tend to prefer flaw to perfection and bad example to good (Iwouldn't read as much historical non-fiction if that was not the case). Whenever someone holds up a picture and says 'this is what you should aspire to', I always find myself itching to point out the flaws that are invariably there. But to see good things among flaws is actually much more inspiring to me. To quote Jane Austen (whose books contain nothing but flawed people): "pictures of perfection, as you know, make me sick and wicked."
I think I'll be using that as my new signature!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
And you can't compare The Honeymooners to Married with Children or even My Three Sons for that matter. :p

And neither would I, although even My Three Sons was way above Married With Children...But did Ralph really learn his lesson at the end of every episode? I mean, he royally messed up in just about every show.[huh] Alice had the patience of Job...

And neither would I, although even My Three Sons was way above Married With Children...But did Ralph really learn his lesson at the end of every episode? I mean, he royally messed up in just about every show.[huh] Alice had the patience of Job...

Well, he did learn a FEW things in the long run and ended up having to apologize to either Norton, Alice or some other person on a weekly basis. :p It was kind of a don't do this or end up like this every week. :p

Oh and FINALLY!:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/story/2012-07-17/teacher-dress-code/56579488/1

There are teachers here who dress worse than the children they teach and they wear inappropriate clothing that the children themselves cannot wear. You see them with flip flops and pajama pants for goodness sakes. Grow up and realize that you are a role model whether you like it or not!

And to think my first grade teacher used to wear bell bottoms and halter tops. And this was at a Christian private school, circa 1970. lol

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh and FINALLY!:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/story/2012-07-17/teacher-dress-code/56579488/1

There are teachers here who dress worse than the children they teach and they wear inappropriate clothing that the children themselves cannot wear. You see them with flip flops and pajama pants for goodness sakes. Grow up and realize that you are a role model whether you like it or not!

I wouldn't mind if a kindergarten (or elementary art teacher) wore jeans. For a female kindergarten teacher I'd rather have them in jeans than stilettos. (I knew a teacher that wore both and she really thought herself too good to interact physically with her kids, because heaven forbid she damage her heels.) The clothing that some teachers wear, however, isn't appropriate to wear out in public. I'm more disturbed by inappropriately casual clothing around older kids, than kids under 8 or so. When you're teaching kids under 8 it's often messy and I can see where jeans could facilitate outdoor activities, art, etc. Although inappropriately sexually clothing at any point is ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind if a kindergarten (or elementary art teacher) wore jeans. For a female kindergarten teacher I'd rather have them in jeans than stilettos. (I knew a teacher that wore both and she really thought herself too good to interact physically with her kids, because heaven forbid she damage her heels.) The clothing that some teachers wear, however, isn't appropriate to wear out in public. I'm more disturbed by inappropriately casual clothing around older kids, than kids under 8 or so. When you're teaching kids under 8 it's often messy and I can see where jeans could facilitate outdoor activities, art, etc. Although inappropriately sexually clothing at any point is ridiculous.

And that is largely the problem. Leading by example might be a good idea. :D It seems the local public school teachers around here fancy themselves hipsters etc. We could use a dose of realism for them. They want to be treated like professionals but they look like the children they are teaching---some worse!
The most depressing thing is that you HAVE to institute clothing appropriate standards for adults who should well know better.:eusa_doh:
I am all for uniforms for the students as well. They need less distractions than what Laura is wearing today---believe me---that was one of our concerns even thirty years ago. :p
I think quite a poignant comment was added to the article by one of their readers- a school bus driver at Idaho Falls School District:
"Excellent point! But I'd still require uniforms in all schools for staff and students alike. Why? Well, I work in the public education system as a school-bus driver, and I see more often than not kids who are ridiculed and ostracized simply because of the clothes they wear. If everyone wore the same outfit kids would be more likely to look at the person and not the attire they're wearing. One young boy actually took his own life because he felt he could not fit in because he didn't have the right clothing. If everyone looked the same, these kids would know who their friends really were."

One of the reasons why I pulled my sons from public school and now they wear uniforms to class. It was cheaper in the long run too. :p

Feraud

Bartender
An interesting article on foul language and social reaction to it.
Social critics in the 1940s railed at the unchecked profanity of the returning GIs. In the '20s they were lambasting the vogue for four-letter words among the society slummers called mucker posers, the well-bred young people who felt the need "to emulate the manners and language of the longshoreman," as one critic put it. And so on down to the Victorians, whose sermons and statutes were full of references to public profanity. But then as the philosopher Montesquieu observed, people have been complaining about the decline of manners and morals since the time of Horace and Aristotle. They couldn't all have been right, he said, or men would be bears today.

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/24/156623763/swearing-a-long-and-history

An interesting article on foul language and social reaction to it.
Social critics in the 1940s railed at the unchecked profanity of the returning GIs. In the '20s they were lambasting the vogue for four-letter words among the society slummers called mucker posers, the well-bred young people who felt the need "to emulate the manners and language of the longshoreman," as one critic put it. And so on down to the Victorians, whose sermons and statutes were full of references to public profanity. But then as the philosopher Montesquieu observed, people have been complaining about the decline of manners and morals since the time of Horace and Aristotle. They couldn't all have been right, he said, or men would be bears today.

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/24/156623763/swearing-a-long-and-history

I knew ! I knew it!:
"The moralists are correct about one thing, though: This language has become more widespread and more audible than at any time since the early 19th century. I'd put the turning point in the '70s, when the styles and attitudes that emerged in the '60s were domesticated and divested of any subversive meaning — the moment when jeans, long hair and casual vulgarity became universal signs of democratic informality."

:laser::hippie:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I had several actual, genuine union-card-carrying longshoremen in my immediate family. And I never, ever heard the f-word from any of them -- ever. I heard sulphurous blasphemies and scabrous comments about people's legitimacy that would blister the paint on the walls. But they never used the f-word. That was beyond the pale. I didn't even know what it meant until I was in junior high.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
When I was growing up, my dad liked to use the F-word a lot when he got mad. I never knew what it meant, either, until much later - I only knew it was verboten for me to say it. As my mom tells me, though, my dad never cussed until he returned from serving in the Air Force during the Vietnam War.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82