Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

My old favorite was the Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl from 1990. I REALLY dislike the naming of bowl games etc and then changing them every few years.

University of Illinois ('83) has an interesting self-inflicted problem. They left damn near anyone build a new monument to themselves, but no one ever pays for the old buildings. My old dorm was built in 1964 and they updated it over the summer of 2009. Same sinks, same beds etc. They FINALLY refurbished Lincoln hall which was built in the depression, last year.

Later

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
IMO, even the History Channel has taken a nosedive in quality, as much of their programming deals with speculative crud like angels, UFOs, biblical characters, end-of-the-world scenarios, and reality shows like "Ice Road Truckers." I think this new direction is just as bad as their fixation on Hitler and his wretched rabble and the channel's rubber-stamp approval of the US military-industrial complex. Seems like they're tailoring their programming to a generation's fetishes. The Greatest Generation with WWII and the Cold War and the Boomers with their quasi-spiritual hokum. I guess my generation will have to endure Grunge documentaries and endless pontification about the "miracle" of the internet.
You are right it has gone that route and I am wondering why myself they have done that?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hi

My old favorite was the Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl from 1990. I REALLY dislike the naming of bowl games etc and then changing them every few years.

University of Illinois ('83) has an interesting self-inflicted problem. They left damn near anyone build a new monument to themselves, but no one ever pays for the old buildings. My old dorm was built in 1964 and they updated it over the summer of 2009. Same sinks, same beds etc. They FINALLY refurbished Lincoln hall which was built in the depression, last year.

Later
That is a riot, the "weed eating bowl"...ha!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
You are right it has gone that route and I am wondering why myself they have done that?

I remember when TLC was called The Learning Channel and it was essentially a counterpart to The Discovery Channel. Between the two of them, they must've aired that Wings program-- not the banal sitcom, but the hour-long recruitment ad for the US military--a million times over the course of the 1990s. Now TLC concerns itself with 700lb bedridden tragedies, people with 27 kids, impish "little people", obsessive-compulsive hoarders, and the on-camera child abuse that is "Toddlers and Tiaras"; all under the paper-thin guise of "reality."

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
You are very correct and I also miss what was on that and a few other channels that programs have gone away, one I dearly like was the "Mutual of Omaha, Wild Kingdom" program.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
You are very correct and I also miss what was on that and a few other channels that programs have gone away, one I dearly like was the "Mutual of Omaha, Wild Kingdom" program.

I remember it well. I was also raised on--but not by--The Wild, Wild World of Animals, which had a great opening as well as closing theme:

[video=youtube;jDlKaG24CPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlKaG24CPU[/video]

[video=youtube;1a5zl96448k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a5zl96448k&feature=related[/video]

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I remember when TLC was called The Learning Channel and it was essentially a counterpart to The Discovery Channel. Between the two of them, they must've aired that Wings program-- not the banal sitcom, but the hour-long recruitment ad for the US military--a million times over the course of the 1990s. Now TLC concerns itself with 700lb bedridden tragedies, people with 27 kids, impish "little people", obsessive-compulsive hoarders, and the on-camera child abuse that is "Toddlers and Tiaras"; all under the paper-thin guise of "reality."
Television is evil I tell ya,.....it's why I can't watch anything made after about 1975. :sick:

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Television is evil I tell ya,.....it's why I can't watch anything made after about 1975. :sick:

That's my "cut-off year" for most pop culture, especially TV. The bilge I grew up watching in the mid-'70s to mid-'80s is impossible to watch now, even during those foolishly nostalgic moments we all sometimes have.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I can agree with that for the most part, which in fact gave me something positive as a product if it all, I picked up books more to spend my time rather than to watch television!

DesertDan

One Too Many
I haven't watched any television programming for about 2 years now. I watch a lot of movies/concerts on DVD.

From the occasional glimpses I get of television programs whilst visiting friends or in the occasional waiting room I can see that I am not missing anything.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I haven't watched any television programming for about 2 years now. I watch a lot of movies/concerts on DVD.

From the occasional glimpses I get of television programs whilst visiting friends or in the occasional waiting room I can see that I am not missing anything.
We would all not miss much if we tossed out our television sets!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
One of my major complaints about the History Channel is that it's too general and often inaccurate. Though in all fairness there's only so much you can squeeze into an hour-long documentary.
That squeezing certain things done in a hour sure brings back some fond memories of my car's back seat when I was 18....but that is another story on a "different" channel.....

TidiousTed

Practically Family

I threw the television out years ago. There is no bigger time thief than television. Now a days I only have a flat screen (Just the screen, not a flat screen tv) conected to my video and dvd players. This way it takes a lot more to want to see it. I have to decide to see a movie or a series on dvd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael