Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Butch crossed the line there. He's up for reelection next year, and people have long memories.

Meanwhile, I almost forgot...

Daily_News_1944_06_28_604.jpg

They've been waiting two years for cameras to be legal on the beach again.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_29_1.jpg

("You lissen t't''at las' night?" scoffs Sally. "Y'know who he soun's like? He soun's like t'at flooehwawkeh we useta have at Woolwoit's, t'at one'd come aroun' an' say 'less tawk an' moeh woik, goils, less tawk an' moeh woik.' An'nen he'd go out'na alley an' have a cig'rette. Whatta joik." "I didn' lissen," shrugs Alice. "I don' lilke politics. Politics neveh done nut'n f'me." "Politics done a LOT fa' you," argues Sally. "Whe'd you be wit'tout t' New Deal, huh? I ask ya!" "I dunno," dismisses Alice. "Same place I am now, I guess." "Well," Sally continues, "wasn' f't'New Deal, I'da neveh met Joe. Joe was onna WPA, an' he got awf woik an' wenta Roseland t'at night, him an' Solly Pincus standin' onna stag line. An' me'n Mildred McCullough was t'eh, an' Mildred was awl, 'don' go oveh t'eh, don't tawk t'tem WPA guys, look 'at'm innem poehk pie hats like a coupl'a poolroom charactehs, you do'wanna get mixed up wit' t'em!' Well, I ain' gonna let Mildred McCullough tell ME what t'do. Not f''ya Aunt Minnie! So I go oveh t'eh, an' I didn' t'ink Solly looked too good, y'know, he's too skinny, an' he had awn a bow tie, an' Ma awrways said neveh trust a man weahs a bow tie, but Joe, well, y'know, ev'ryt'ing's jus' about like it should be, y'know? He's jus' right. An' I go oveh t'eh an' I sez, 'c'mon, Coily, le's step!' An' two mont's lateh we was married. An' awl cause'a Joe bein' onna WPA." "Don't Roosevelt weah'ra bow tie?" interjects Alice. "Well, he's diff'nt," shrugs Sally. "Roosevelt don' hangaroun' Roselan', an' if he did he wouldn' weah no bow tie." "You take ya pill t'day?" inquires Alice. "What?" "I hate politics.")

American armored forces crashed thru bitter German resistance along Italy's west coast highway yesterday, and drove forward more than seven miles to within seven miles of Livorno, it was reported in a communique. Other Allied columns were on the move northward along a broad front stretching more than a hundred miles inland, shelling and bayoneting fanatical German rear guards from their makeshift defenses below Siena and in the hills around Perugia. Allied headquarters noted that the number of enemy prisoners taken since the offensive began on May 11th stands now at more than 32,000 men, 25,000 of whom were captured by the 5th Army.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_29_2.jpg

(Yeah, next time choose your friends more carefully.)

In Hollywood, recently-divorced boy wonder Orson Welles was ordered to pay his ex-wife $900 toward her legal fees and $100 in court costs pending resolution of a lawsuit against the actor-director charging him with failing to support his six-year-old daughter. Welles said he was willing to pay child support, but claimed that his show busines activities over the past year have lost $65,000 out of a total income of $80,000.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_29_4.jpg

(If there's two names that immediately come to mind when Somerset Maugham comes up, they're Gene Kelly and Deanna Durbin. And meanwhile, Jinx only gets fourth billing? You need a better agent, hon.)

Jet airplanes will bring a new era of aviation after the war. Naval architect Thomas R. Tarn declares in a special report prepared for the United Press that jet propulsion bids fair to be one of the outstanding developments to come out of the present war, and that the time is soon to come when jet-propelled aircraft will be the safest and most desirable form of travel ever known to man. "It may be," predicts Tarn, "that jet propelled airplanes will be developed for passenger and cargo use along the same line that trucks and trailers have been developed for the highway service and locomotives and cars have been developed for railroad transportation."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_29_10.jpg

("Well, maybe it'd help instead of trying to sell you in one piece we coud cut you up into 25-cent stamps.")

The 65-year-old son of the late Dodger owner Charles H. Ebbets cut off his own children without a cent in his will, filed for probate yesterday in Manhattan. Charles H. Ebbets Jr, who died in a Manhattan rooming house on May 15th left an estate valued at "over $10,000," with two-thirds of that estate left to his housekeepeer, Mrs. Henrietta Darling Sherwood of East Orange, New York, and the remaining third to his wife. The three children of that marriage, Charles H. Ebbets III of Los Angeles, Mrs. Virginia Ebbets Ruth of Southampton, and Mrs. Dorothy Dolimetye of Everett, Washington, received nothing.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_29_14.jpg

(SIGMUND JAKUCKI! SIGMUND JAKUCKI! SIGMUND JAKUCKI!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_29_19.jpg

(I'm sorry, but especially at this point in history the world is going to have a lot more need for skilled surgeons than it will ever need cut-rate H. P. Lovecrafts.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_29_19(1).jpg

(I would read the hell out of a spin-off strip featuring 'S. Dardanella, Private Eye.'")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_29_19(2).jpg

(Wheels within Wheels. Wait, this isn't harness racing.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_29_19(3).jpg

(Brace up, kid. Somewhere out there there's a second-rate vaudeville magician about to give up his career.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_29_19(4).jpg

"Hey as long as we're here, what say we steal a couple of chickens?"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Daily_News_1944_06_29_511.jpg

"Myyyyyyyyy public!"

Daily_News_1944_06_29_514.jpg

C'mon, Tom -- you shoulda picked Clare for your running mate. You know you wanted to.

Daily_News_1944_06_29_542.jpg

Yeah, I've got a lot of these.

Daily_News_1944_06_29_556.jpg
Snipe and Gootch? Yes please! And poor old Wumple, having to listen to Wilmer. Mr. Wicker, the handle-bar moustache guy offering Sissy Bly a cigar, is Walt's boss at the Wicker Furniture Company. And Madame Octave is Skeezix's biological mother who left him on Walt's doorstep when he was two days old. I'm sure she DOES worry. Trixie, of course, was once the wiry little tomboy who gave Skeez his first kiss. And finally, "I hope your marriage isn't on the rocks yet, Jessica." HA!

Daily_News_1944_06_29_561.jpg

CHARGE MANSLAUGHTER IN FILM BLAST

Daily_News_1944_06_29_563.jpg

Lizards? More like ALLIGATORS!

Daily_News_1944_06_29_566.jpg

I bet the Covina Pharmacy handles a lot of insulin.

Daily_News_1944_06_29_567.jpg

Y'know, I've been trying to think of who clean-shaven Willie reminds me of, and I just realized who it is -- an overweight cigar-smoking Gandhi. Now that'd be an interesting storyline.

Daily_News_1944_06_29_569.jpg

Careful, kid -- home bleach jobs sometimes end up bright orange.

Daily_News_1944_06_29_553.jpg

This is the greatest metaphor for "human resources" I've ever seen.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_30_1.jpg

("We got ev'ryt'ing ready f' Willie t'move in afteh school t'day," enthuses Alice. "Y'otta see t'room Siddy fixed up f'rim. Ev'ryt'ing a kid could want. An' y'know what he done? He wan'ed t'get 'im a bicycle, right? An' wit' t'wawr on, I meann y'jus' can't go oveh t' Davega, right? So Siddy wen' aroun'a neighbehood, wen' aroun' awla alleys an' vacan' lawts, an'nee dug aroun' innat pile a junk downa basemen', an'nee foun' enough diffren' pawrts an'nee BUILT a bicycle. How 'BOUT t'at!" "Ain'nat sump'n." nods Sally. "Hey," she continues, "I was gonna ask ya -- what was awlat yellin' down inna coehtyawrd las' night? 'Bout nine a'clock t'eh, I hoid awlis yellin', but by t'time I got aroun' t'windeh, I couldn' see nut'n." "Oh," shrugs Alice. "Yeh, t'at was Siddy. He was testin' out t'bicycle, right? An'nee was so excited about it, he f'got sump'n." "Ah," nods Sally. "Yeh," chuckles Alice. "F'gawt he didn' know HOW t' ride a bike!")

U. S. Marines and Army troops, holding full control of the southern half of Saipan, struck northward along the western shore today toward Tanapag Harbor, while other units continued their assaults on bypassed Garapan, capital of the Marianas. The new drives followed the elimination of a stubborn pocket of Japanese resistance at Nafutan Point on the southern tip of Saipan, where it was estimated that the enemy lost from 500 to 1500 killed and captured in 13 days of bitter hand to hand fighting. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz said the invasion troops completely occupied the point after the Japanese tried every trick to escape from the trap seven miles behind their own lines.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_30_2.jpg

("This Rupolo man lives two blocks ovarr fr'm Sally," fumes Ma. "Me daaaghter an' grandaaghter livin' two blocks fr'm a voilent hoodlum! An' now me grandson too! Ain't thar noothin' YOU can do?" "You know Oi gaaht noo influence with that boonch," sighs Uncle Frank. "You know Oi've lived as laaang as Oi have by naaaht gett'n mixed oop in th' affairs a' th' loikes a' them. Oi leave thim alone, they leave me alone. Annn', Oi moit add, they leave YOU alone." "Oi don't know what this waaarld is coomin' to," Ma growls, snapping her cleaning rag for emphasis. "Oi don't s'pose ye could foind 'em anoothar place t'live away fr'm sich naaahnsense." "We been ovarr that," Uncle Frank exhales. "Thar's a waaar on. Thar's waitin' lists farr apartments aah oovar town, ye gaaht t'deal with th' OPA, an' when ye do foind one it's a waarse hole than th' woon ye troyin' t'get oot of. Besoides, she's got Alice lookin' after'arr ovar there, an' that Krause fellar. Oi'd not warry soo mooch." "Soomthin's gaaht t'be done," insists Ma. "Maybe ye could poot th' boys in an apaartment near tharr, an' they could..." "Aahr," suggests Uncle Frank, "noow that ye mention it, Doyle was tellin' me 'boot an apaartment doon here ahn Midwood Street. Roit close by here, even. Sally could be in t'visit ye ahhl th' toime." "Yarr a foony man, Francis Leary," scowls Ma. "A foony, foony man...")

General Dwight D. Eisenhower, "Ike" to his friends, is "a hell of a nice guy," according to a Navy ensign aboard the destroyer that twice carried the Supreme Allied Commander to France. Intimate friends of the general agree, noting that Eisenhower finds the prosepct of fame and greatness, which must follow when Hitler falls, extremely discomfiting. They add that the general is disturbed by the realization that he can no longer walk down the street without attracting attention or enter a restaurant without creating a furore.

In Omaha, Nebraska the proprietor of a chimney-cleaning service takes pleasure in knowing he has a staff that it is absolutely draft-proof. Bob Eli, of the firm of Eli and Eli, has three baboons working as his assistants, and one of the apes, also named "Eli", is actually his partner in the company. The baboons are particularly skilled at cleaning inside small ventilation shafts where a man could not fit, and while the two younger apes working for the company, Patchy and Bobo, do tend to goldbrick on the job, Eli -- the baboon, not the man -- is very firm about keeping them in line.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_30_8.jpg

(What did Deanna Durbin ever do to Arthur Pollock???)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_30_10.jpg

(No wonder these old guys don't want to go overseas.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_30_14.jpg

("You can't just release him, sir!" protests Mr. Parrott. "Remember when you got rid of Fitzsimmons?" "I shall trade him then," insists Mr. Rickey. "No doubt a rising squad such as the Browns would appreciate the experience and shrewd understanding of a man like Wyatt. And perhaps the addition of -- oh -- Mr. Jakucki would bolster our rotation!" "They'd never do it," wails Mr. Parrott. "Besides, you'd have to ask waivers to send him to the other league and he'd be humiliated! You can't take a man who's done as much for this club as Wyatt and just toss him on the..." "We shall offer him a Day," declares Mr. Rickey, rubbing his hands with excitement. "Whitlow Wyatt Day! Do you still have that file you prepared for that day we discussed for....who was that again?" "Camilli, sir," frowns Mr. Parrott. "And you remember how..." "Excellent, my boy, excellent!" thunders Mr. Rickey, his vast brows twitching with glee. "Bring that file at once. Scratch out 'Camilli' and write in 'Wyatt.' And contact Mr. Barnes in St. Louis, have him arrange for M.r. Jakcuki's transportation." "Send him express prepaid.," sighs Mr. Parrott. "What's that, boy?" "Nothing....")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_30_19.jpg

(Well, that's one way to end it.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_30_19(1).jpg

(Aren't we just FULL of happy endings today!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_30_19(2).jpg

(If they call you "Honest Tom" around a racetrack...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_30_19(3).jpg

(Point of order: I wonder what you'd see if you looked down from above? Doesn't bear thinking about, does it?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_30_19(4).jpg

(A cop -- stealing chickens? Staten Island really IS a hotbed of vice.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_1944_06_30_296.jpg

I don't know what's more hilarious here, the idea that Tom Dewey married a quiet little homebody who appeared in "George White's Scandals," or that the News makes you read fifteen paragraphs in before they toss out that fact. C'mon, this is Page Four, not Scribner's Monthly.

Daily_News_1944_06_30_321.jpg

"We like his wife though, she's Equity!"

Daily_News_1944_06_30_322.jpg

Doctor Zee? You mean the one-armed guy from "Orphan Annie?" He's a NAZI SPY now???? Didn't see THAT coming!

Daily_News_1944_06_30_333.jpg

"Um, I forgot my line." "ARF. The line is ARF." "Oh, sorry."

Daily_News_1944_06_30_334.jpg

"OH NO NOT DEAR UNCLE BIM! Where do we stand in the will?"

Daily_News_1944_06_30_335.jpg

"Well, I was hoping you'd get used to them. You know, there's a housing shortage."

Daily_News_1944_06_30_336.jpg

It's good to have friends.

Daily_News_1944_06_30_345.jpg

Aside from the plot, how many six year olds do you know who can get away with a black undershirt, pajama bottoms, and a derby?

Daily_News_1944_06_30_346.jpg

Although, I must say, a bathrobe, slippers, and a pom-pom beanie aren't a look you often see on Main Street either.

Daily_News_1944_06_30_347.jpg

Yeah, that's it.

"Um, I forgot my line." "ARF. The line is ARF." "Oh, sorry." LOL

"Although, I must say, a bathrobe, slippers, and a pom-pom beanie aren't a look you often see on Main Street either."

Shadow is one of the oddest characters in all of our strips.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_07_01_1.jpg

("Alice says Willie didn't wanna go t'bed las' night he was so excited wit' movin' in oveh t'eh," declares Sally. "Said 'e was runnin' awl oveh t'place, playin' wit' Krause. I wen' down'eh t'is mawrnin' t'meet Alice f'woik, an' him' an Krause was playin' some kinda game wit' cereal. Willie was pilin' up oatmeal awn toppa Krause's head like it was a wig a' sump'n, an'ney was bot' laughin' so hawrd t'ey toined awl red inna face. Alice says she didn't know t'eh was t'at much t'bein' a mot'eh." "She'll soon foind out," chuckles Ma. "That boy is a haaandfool." "Him an' Leonoreh get alawng pretty good," observes Sally. "Neveh t'ought t'ey would, remembeh when he fois' come heeh, he wouldn't tawk t'nobody, pushed Leonoreh offa t'stool, n'awlat?" "Mistarr Krause was th' farrrst one got thru to the boy," nods Ma. "Oi don't know how he done it." "I eveh tell ya?" continues Sally. "Alice says Krause had a baby once -- well, his fois' wife done. When'nee come home fr'm t' las' wawr. T'ey was jus' kids t'emselves, an' she -- well, she died in chil'boit', an'na baby died too. Alice says he neveh got oveh t'at, 'leas' not till, you know, lately." "Oi think William'll be happy thaar," nods Ma. "Of course, aahfter th' waaar, when Michael cooms home, we'll hafta..." "Tellya sump'n else funny t'at happn't," interrupts Sally, not wanting to open that particular container of worms. "I'm down'eh, right? An' Willie says, 'where's Leonoreh?' An' I say 'I took her oveh t' see 'Gran'ma be'foeh I come heeh.' An' Willie says 'good! Maybe she can play slot machine wit' Gran'ma stead'a me!" Ma blanches, and compreses her grip on her cleaning rag. She forces a smile. "Isn't that fonny," she ventures, from between clenched teeth. "Yeh," laughs Sally. "He don' say it right, t'name'a t'at game t'ey play. You know, 'bout t'monsteh. It ain' 'slot machine,' it's 'slommasheen!' Heh! Kid mus' be so excited 'es gettin' awl mixed up!" "Oh," ohs Ma, trying not to exhale too conspicuously...)

FInland's war-weary population of 3,900,000 faces the consequences of certain military defeat with the knowledge that their last influential friend, the United States, has placed their country on the diplomatic blacklist. Overrun with German troops and denounced as a willing puppet of Nazi Germany FInland stands now without the friendship of the United States since the Finnish Republic was first established 25 years ago. Secretary of State Cordell Hull yesterday made official the severance of diplomatic relations between the US and the Helsinki government, opening the door to a possible declaration of war. Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Tom Connolly (D-Texas) summed up the Congressional view of the situation when he noted "the United States stood at the bedside when Finland was born -- she is now committing suicide." The severance of diplomatic ties between the two nations followed the declaration from Helsinki on June 17th that Finland and Germany have joined in the "comradeship of arms."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_07_01_4.jpg

(Agreed.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_07_01_4(1).jpg

(Today's panel comes to you thru the courtesy of the Office of War Information.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_07_01_6.jpg

("All is not well between Whitlow Wyatt and that Dodger manager." Maybe that's who wrote 'Remember Bobo Newsom' on the clubhouse wall.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_07_01_8.jpg

(Benny Goodman -- working for Disney? Since when does he lead a 'Mickey Mouse band?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_07_01_11.jpg

("Dr. Ward's man!" "You mean her husband?" "Oh, are they married? I thought he was her butler!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_07_01_11(1).jpg

(All right, that's over. Time for Oakdale to show up!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_07_01_11(2).jpg

(HEY! CAREFUL! You can't get binoculars anymore!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_07_01_11(3).jpg

(Is the cup half empty or half full?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_07_01_11(4).jpg

(ERADICATE STATEN ISLAND MAD DOG MENACE)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_1944_07_01_256.jpg

Cary Grant and Barbara Hutton. Well, they're no Gable & Lombard.

Daily_News_1944_07_01_257.jpg

Come now, Commissioner. You used to be so incorruptible.

Daily_News_1944_07_01_259.jpg

"Being a money-head is a career in itself."

Daily_News_1944_07_01_267.jpg

Sure beats that haystack, huh?

Daily_News_1944_07_01_270.jpg

YOU'VE MET YOUR MATCH KID!

Daily_News_1944_07_01_271.jpg

Noooooooooooooooooooo

Daily_News_1944_07_01_271(1).jpg

Plus it's July, and nobody smells very good in July.

Daily_News_1944_07_01_272.jpg

"There's only one thing to do. Call a stockbroker."

Daily_News_1944_07_01_273.jpg

The syndicate's been nagging Mr. Gould about deadlines again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg