Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_7__1942_.jpg

Well, hopefully she at least left the polo mallets.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(1).jpg

At last, some good news for the war effort.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(2).jpg

"I too am curious."

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(3).jpg

This is what happens when you don't pay your thugs well.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(4).jpg

The fine print doesn't mean a thing.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(7).jpg

Poor kid's gonna have years of therapy.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(5).jpg

"No, sir, please, you don't understand, he's not..." "Give it up, Normandie. He's onto us."

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(8).jpg

Because she's much, much smarter than you.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(9).jpg

It's mean to say so, but this is the closest Willie has been to a bathtub in twenty years.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(2).jpg

(Canada Lee in "Native Son" at the Flatbush. That's a must.)

It's going to be fun to see the release of Hitchcock's "Saboteur" with Nazi-fighting Priscilla Lane. Joe and Sally are going to have to pay up and go to see it at a first-run theater.

("Whenney comin' heah?" demands Sally. "Wheahzat schedule? Didja take it offenna wall? Whenza Pittsboigs comin'?" "Pittsboig?" replies Joe. "Izzey still inna league?" "What?" "Nut'n.")

Joe knows he's flying close to the flame, but he can't help himself. We've all been there when you just gotta say it, come what may.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(6).jpg

(If you're living in a building where the landlord shows up with spats and a cane, don't be surprised if he starts tap-dancing.)

"By Jove! For once you are right." Just perfect and it doesn't even faze Jo.

Didn't the Bungles find a bunch of money in the basement and move into a fancy building? I guess a fancy landlord comes with the fancy address.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(8).jpg

(Only Scarlett, with her 13 inch waist, could get into this predicament.)

Or Connie, Burma, Raven (RIP), Sue, Cindy or a few of our other Wasp-waist girls of comicstrip land. When you are not restrained by the laws of physics, the tiny waist is easier to achieve.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Tue__Apr_7__1942_.jpg

Well, hopefully she at least left the polo mallets.

"Shorter dresses mean pantie girdles, and that means more silk and rubber." Well, this generation certainly solved that problem.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(1).jpg

At last, some good news for the war effort.

Didn't the Navy tell us a few weeks back that none of its men frequent prostitutes, so I guess we can send all the supplies of Sulfathiazole to the Army.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_7__1942_(8).jpg

Because she's much, much smarter than you.

Let's not kid ourselves, though, that is a low, low bar.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^ "Flies carry fleas, keep yours zipped."
The Greek draftees I trained were paid 90 drachma a month, or $3.00;
subsequent additional stipend bordello visit several times per annum.
A number of the privates informed me that homosexuals resident Thessalonikki
were 'kept' boyfriends for supplemental civil income. Lines of platoons waiting
back alleys-red light district near bar patronage-and the sight was something
out of a movie. Gonorreha, syphillis, other clap did occasionally strike these
squads but surprisingly few-and-far-betwixt. :rolleyes:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Louis de L'Aigle Munds matrimonial theft file is interesting, $1,750,000 in today's cash.
Factor the inflationary effect the last 'stimulus' package wrought, 7.5%; now take
a look at M2 Tab $26,500kB; monetary velocity 1.5 thereabouts Tennesse windage,
Kentucky elevation marksmanship; or shoot a 'possible' expert score, nail it 1.30...
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Deduct $175,000 off for inflation, $1,575,000. Mark 10%, a dime.
Allow added 2.5% good measure sergeancy.

That is alota pesoes baby just because she got a 'quicky' Reno divorce....
What Lou needs is a Chicago Irish South side lawyer whom has admittance
to the New York Bar and can wrap that estate in trust. :cool:;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_.jpg

(Mr. Amen doesn't just drop the other shoe, he drops the entire Thom McAn store. Smile pretty, boys, for the camera!)

A Brooklyn paratrooper died last week in a training exercise in the Panama Canal Zone. Robert S. De Lia was killed instantaneously during a mass parachute jump by members of the 501st Parachute Battalion based at Fort Kobbe in the Canal Zone. His mother, Mrs. Philomena De Lia of 144 Garfield Place in Park Slope was advised of his death in a letter from his commanding officer, 1st Lt. F. M. Schauer, who described De Lia as "a fine gentleman and soldier who I was proud to have with me." De Lia was buried with full military honors last Friday in the military cementary at the Post of Cozozal.

Two men who robbed a Front Street lunch wagon of a load of cake and pastry are being held on bail of $1000 each. 41 year old Joseph Murphy of 43 Fulton Street and 36 year old William Lynch of 96 Nassau Street were discovered by Patrolman Ralph Albano of the Poplar Street precinct, seated on the sidewalk in front of the diner owned by Harry Hanson, munching on the cakes and four cartons of pastry taken in the robbery. The two suspects waived examination in Brooklyn Felony Court, and will be held for Grand Jury action.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_.jpg

(Yeah, you guys, if you're gonna steal cake, you might as well grab some ice cream too.)

A thirteen-year-old boy who went on a spree at Coney Island yesterday only to end up wedged in a subway turnstile is back home with his family. William Holland of 439 McDonough Street had 95 cents in his pocket when he and a pal went to Coney for an afternoon of frankfurters and amusements -- but when they were ready to return home they found that their funds had been exhausted, leaving no money for carfare. The boys tried to squeeze under a turnstile at the W. 6th Street end of the BMT Brighton Beach line, but Holland became stuck under the arms of the turnstile and could not move in either direction. William's pal ran two blocks to the Coney Island police station to get help, while a crowd of curious spectators gathered around the screaming boy. An emergency squad from the Sheepshead Bay station arrived with tools, and dismantled the turnstile to free William, who yelled constantly thruout the procedure. Police gave the boy a nickel for his fare home, and noted that William's pal never returned.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(1).jpg

("We gotta go see t' coicus," insists Joe. "Leonora wantsta see t' monkeys." "Leonora don'know nut'n f'm monkeys," laughs Sally. "YOU wanna see t'monkeys." "I like monkeys," murmurs Joe. "Like some people like secon' basem'n." "We'll go see t'monkeys," sighs Sally. "By t'way, Pittsboig is in town May 14, 15, an' 16. Write t'at down.")

The Eagle Editorialist endorses the idea of a second front in Europe, preferably by way of an attack on Italy. "It does not take a professional strategist to know that an ideal moment for any blow by the United States and her allies is while the bulk of Hitler's forces are locked in mortal combat with the Russians. That means something should be done quickly -- it is too good an opportunity to miss."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(2).jpg

(Hardly the way to build a close relationship with our Pacific allies.)

The Brooklyn branch of "Alcoholics Anonymous" has only existed for about six weeks, but the group's weekly meetings at the Granada Hotel already number about 60 persons. The local branch of the six-year-old organization started with just five participants, but expects to enroll up to 150 by the end of this year. Members don't care if you call them "ex-rummies," in fact they insist on blunt honesty about their pasts, as part of a continuing effort to reorganize their lives. "You know the way rummies always are, they say they can quit any time they want to. They refuse to face the fact that alcohol has them licked," commented one member, who has been in and out of sanitariums for years. "Once they admit what they are what they are," he continued "and providing they want to be cured, Alcoholics Anonymous can cure them."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(3).jpg

(WHY ISN'T FITZ AT JOHNS HOPKINS TOO? OBVIOUSLY WE GET A QUANTITY DISCOUNT.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(4).jpg

(Point of order -- if the cosmic rays affect his gravitational field like this, it should be impossible for him to fly. GET YOUR SCIENCE STRAIGHT BOODY.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(5).jpg

(With such pinpoint powers of observation, Jo's a natural candidate for Military Intelligence.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(6).jpg

("Babs is me woife! Keep quiet about it if ye please!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(7).jpg

(Unholy robot armies? Isn't that more a Nazi thing?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(8).jpg

(Obviously Dan has no idea how to hitch-hike.)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Disbarment procedure against Syndicate lawyers is a constitutional issue
subordinate to more immediate scalping with reputation political gamesmanship
all too evident. In the Godfather Tom Hagen acts a dual role as attorney/conspirator
inside the Corleone family, prosecutable of course. However, severance restriction
can also be in play for mob lawyers, veritable Chinese walled-off bricks and mortar
to withstand opportunist prosecutors. In Chicago even the dead are allowed to vote.
...surprisingly though all cemetery precincts here are Democrat enclaves. :eek:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_.jpg

The Hon. John P. Cohalan, a "crusty old-time Tammanyman" and outspoken foe of birth control, somehow fathered only two children. I wonder what Mrs. Cohalan would have to say about all this?

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(1).jpg

In other words, take advantage of these sales while you can.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(2).jpg

You'll get your chance, Chuck, soon enough.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(3).jpg

And once again our Chump Of The Month is...

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(4).jpg

Hope you've got insurance.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(5).jpg

C'mon, level. This is no time for dancing.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(6).jpg

All in good time.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(7).jpg

And to think just two years ago, they used to make can openers.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(8).jpg

Mr. Willard and Mr. Hardy are pals in real life, which explains a lot.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(9).jpg

And this is why "man in the street" shows will be banned for the duration.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_.jpg

(Mr. Amen doesn't just drop the other shoe, he drops the entire Thom McAn store. Smile pretty, boys, for the camera!)

Good for him. The two-year statute is BS as is being able to retire. Sure, some duration limit is fine, but two-years is ridiculously too short. Based on the "Serprico" story, this type of graft was still going on in NYC into the 1970s. Small pockets of police corruption will still pop up today, but I think, hopefully not naively, that it isn't systemic in the force anymore.

Two men who robbed a Front Street lunch wagon of a load of cake and pastry are being held on bail of $1000 each. 41 year old Joseph Murphy of 43 Fulton Street and 36 year old William Lynch of 96 Nassau Street were discovered by Patrolman Ralph Albano of the Poplar Street precinct, seated on the sidewalk in front of the diner owned by Harry Hanson, munching on the cakes and four cartons of pastry taken in the robbery. The two suspects waived examination in Brooklyn Felony Court, and will be held for Grand Jury action.

So, these guy stole cakes and pastries, not money, from a diner and, then, sat down out front of the same diner and started eating the stolen goods. Can you be too stupid to go to jail?

A thirteen-year-old boy who went on a spree at Coney Island yesterday only to end up wedged in a subway turnstile is back home with his family. William Holland of 439 McDonough Street had 95 cents in his pocket when he and a pal went to Coney for an afternoon of frankfurters and amusements -- but when they were ready to return home they found that their funds had been exhausted, leaving no money for carfare. The boys tried to squeeze under a turnstile at the W. 6th Street end of the BMT Brighton Beach line, but Holland became stuck under the arms of the turnstile and could not move in either direction. William's pal ran two blocks to the Coney Island police station to get help, while a crowd of curious spectators gathered around the screaming boy. An emergency squad from the Sheepshead Bay station arrived with tools, and dismantled the turnstile to free William, who yelled constantly thruout the procedure. Police gave the boy a nickel for his fare home, and noted that William's pal never returned.

I'd bet the kid's related to one of the pastry thieves as it seems like the same gene pool at work.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(1).jpg

("We gotta go see t' coicus," insists Joe. "Leonora wantsta see t' monkeys." "Leonora don'know nut'n f'm monkeys," laughs Sally. "YOU wanna see t'monkeys." "I like monkeys," murmurs Joe. "Like some people like secon' basem'n." "We'll go see t'monkeys," sighs Sally. "By t'way, Pittsboig is in town May 14, 15, an' 16. Write t'at down.")

Joe pulled the pin and held onto the grenade again. And Sally, who are you kidding, you aren't going to forget those dates.

It's odd that in the ad for the Leslie Howard movie, they never note the name of the movie, "Pimpernel Smith" anywhere that I can see. It's weird to advertise a movie without using its name.

Just noting, I don't think we saw "Mary Worth" yesterday - did it not run? I don't remember the chauffeur speaking up and, then, I looked back and we didn't see a MW strip yesterday.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(8).jpg

(Obviously Dan has no idea how to hitch-hike.)

Claudet Colbert showed us back in '34 the proper technique for hitchhiking; although, I don't know if Dan has the gams for it:
legs-it-happened-one-night.gif

Disbarment procedure against Syndicate lawyers is a constitutional issue
subordinate to more immediate scalping with reputation political gamesmanship
all too evident. In the Godfather Tom Hagen acts a dual role as attorney/conspirator
inside the Corleone family, prosecutable of course. However, severance restriction
can also be in play for mob lawyers, veritable Chinese walled-off bricks and mortar
to withstand opportunist prosecutors. In Chicago even the dead are allowed to vote.
...surprisingly though all cemetery precincts here are Democrat enclaves. :eek:

I'm glad you noted it as I was wondering why he was going after their lawyers as they have a right to hire lawyers and the lawyers can defend them, within in, as you noted, the proper constitutional guidelines. Otherwise, if defending crooks was illegal, a lot of lawyers would be unemployed, but more seriously, we'd have no rule of law left.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_.jpg

The Hon. John P. Cohalan, a "crusty old-time Tammanyman" and outspoken foe of birth control, somehow fathered only two children. I wonder what Mrs. Cohalan would have to say about all this?

No kidding, the judge seemed out in orbit on that one.

I hate to admit I'm a tiny bit impressed by the X-ray machine repairman who was able to pass himself off as a Naval officer and physician. I'm always amazed when people with those skills can't find a way to harness them in a honest fashion.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(2).jpg

You'll get your chance, Chuck, soon enough.

Listen, Padre, if you want to do this the civilized way, bring in the police now, we're way passed the "appeal to their conscience" stage.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(5).jpg

C'mon, level. This is no time for dancing.

Too late, no matter what Pat says now, it is going to sound suspicious. "Well, you see, I knew her from a long time ago and it, umm, was her husband who, er, was friendly with the Japanese, but then I rescued all of them, what? Well, I didn't think I should leave him behind, what? Yes, later I did leave him behind, because, oh heck, just shoot me.

Daily_News_Wed__Apr_8__1942_(9).jpg

And this is why "man in the street" shows will be banned for the duration.

Honey, why are you so mad at me, it was just a silly fantasy question?

You stole my answer.

Well that's ridiculous [pause, pause, pause], oh, we can work something out.

Ooop! Here's yesterday's Mary --

View attachment 416857
("Leona objects to the places Babs goes to and the people she goes with!" THAT'S RICH, I'll SAY!!!!!!)

It's usually those with the sordid pasts themselves that, later, become so high and mighty (at least in movies, books and, apparently, comicstrips).

"Young lady, look at me when I'm talking to you. Your behavior is completely unacceptable as you are degrading yourself and the governor's good name. No woman who behaves that way will ever meet a nice boy."

"What's this outfit in your closet, Aunt Leona, what is the Buccaneer Club?"

"Never you mind, give me that, umm, as I was saying."

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Searching for a law-twisted Gordian Knot puzzle (preferably steak with sizzle)
and behold Jacqueline Worth, actress bombshell bride and her engineer
husband Stanley; and, New York Supreme Court marital annulment referee
John Cohalan. First, Cohalan's denunciative bridal chamber inquisitorial
may be germane but smacks quite tawdry and unprofessional.
Stanley failed demostrative actus pursuant to annulment by engaging
in marital copulation; said coitus prophylactic, which Cohalan states as
antithetical marital tenet. Objection, passion, and said coitus irrelevant
as somatic and precision requisite annulment forces consideration bridal
renunciation of children. Cohalan argues Jesuitical prevaricate voyeur
rather than strict constructionist marital magistrate. Stanley Worth commits
perjury with past participle testament as to marital coitus; although Cohalan
accuses failure to fofeit bridal chamber locus contradictory petition.

Jacqueline is enticing. Stanley agrees contraceptive which arguably
may not constitute marital consumation. New York bar circa 1942 was
restrictive; yet annulment certified and remanded. Magistrate Cohalan
deliberately with malice intent committed trespass within sancrosanct
bridal chamber.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For what it's worth, so to speak, Mrs. Worth doesn't show up in any of the radio casting directories I have at hand, either under Jacqueline Worth or Jacqueline Mills, or any common variation thereof, so it's likely she wasn't working at a network level in 1942 unless she was doing so under a completely different name. And her only mention in the Daily News index appears to be in connection with this rather ungratifying story. It's a rough life.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
My youngest sister and I recently caught the last two episodes of
The Queen's Gambit which features the most endearing main character,
a child chess prodigy who rises to world champion chess grand master
through grit, determination, and intellect. Her hellish childood and pubescent
initiation to the game of chess, maturation, dependence on alcohol and drugs
amidst a talent driven adolescence enobles her character and is a most
enjoyable viewing experience.

And, of course, I like films that end the way I want them to end....
A confirmed Irish bachelor who reveres marriage as an institution,
plus being an incurable romantic doesn't help when I watch the end
of The Way We Were- that last scene where Streisand and Redford meet
by chance on a New York City street, a divorced war-time-college entangle
gone all wrong---when I know it was so right---just gut punches me.
Actually break down and cry. And I'm supposedly a tough guy. So, I only
do this alone. Nobody knows I YouTube this when I need a good cry.
And nobody knows I occasionally need a good cry....

Anyway reading the Era thread and all the actresses familiar from
films that I subsequently search out on the net like Linda Darnell, Susan Hayward,
Ginger Rodgers who seemingly lived tragically unhappy lives with multiple
inordinate marriages, divorces, premature deaths or lonely financially
strapped post film existance is a similar letdown. The thread and our journey
into yesterday can take fortitude sometimes.

I have a different take of the Streisand-Redford marriage, which is that they weren't right for each other and that was the message from the last scene as we watch him go back to his calm Wasp wife and world as she goes back to her protests and yelling, literally, that's what she went back to at that exact moment.

They absolutely had an attraction and love for each other, but there were too many contradictions in it to last. They ended up having the exact thing they needed to have - a failed marriage - so that they knew, sadly, it wouldn't work. That's what freed them to be able to move on to their second marriage, the ones that would work.

And while I've been reproached (on this site) for saying this, I truly mean that the above is just my humble opinion. I'm not trying to prove my point and prove you wrong, nor do I think it can be proved, it's just my interpretation of the movie.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^ I've a gut instinct that consumes what little common sense I possess, if indeed
any at all, and I firmly believe those two were meant for each other.
And their differences aside, my incurable romantic insufferable self won't let go.

I offered a Jewish girl some advice when she confided she intended to end
her relationship with a Gentile; hoping of finding a Jewish guy to marry, so
to establish a 'Jewish' home together. Told her frankly many Jewish men
take Gentile brides, aside from the fact that life offers no guarantees.
If Love enters our lives, such happens on its own accord and time.
And, should it be dismissed, Love may never return.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_.jpg

(And yes, the war news *can* get worse. Oh, and you'll remember Jeremiah T. Mahoney as the official who presided over the departmental trial of Lt. Cuthbert J. Behan in the wake of the Frosch bail-bond affair --and you'll also remember that Lt. Behan, alleged big-shot in that case, was acquitted.)

A new proposal for the settlement of the problems in India was reported today to include the immediate formation of an Indian National Government, to be placed in charge of all portfolios, including defense. Usually well-informed quarters indicated that the Nationalist All-India Congress had decided to accept this formula, but this was not immediately confirmed. It was understood that the new government must agree to leave actual military direction under Gen. Sir Archibald Wavell, present British Commander In Chief in India, because of the "present critical situation. Such functions as civil defense and mobilization of troops would, however, be placed under the control of the new National Government.

Babe Ruth is reported fighting for his life in a pneumonia jacket in a Hollywood hospital. Baseball's Home Run King, in the film capital to participate in the motion picture version of Lou Gehrig's life story, was stricken Tuesday night and rushed to the hospital under the care of Dr. R. Mitchel Smith, who called the Babe "a very sick man." The 47-year-old slugger was diagnosed with "a borderline case of pneumonia," and was reported to be running "a very high temperature," and Dr. Smith pointed out that "Ruth is a big man physically and often big men do not fare so well in an illness of this charcter. His weight and age must be considered, as well as the fact that he has been so active lately." While Dr. Smith is hopeful that the infection was caught in time to prevent a more serious illness, the Babe is being forbidden visitors until he has shown further progress.

The wife of Democratic National Commitee chairman Edward J. Flynn will testify tomorrow before the Bronx Grand Jury investigating allegations that her husband illegally used a city work crew, and city paving blocks, to create a Belgian courtyard at his Long Island estate. Mrs. Flynn is to be questioned about early plans for the paving job, and about her conversations with Bronx officials about the project. Also on the stand will be Mrs. Wilhemina Haas of Tuckhaoe, the landscape architect who designed the courtyard.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_.jpg

(Hey, it's our old pal the Whimsical Chef from Childs! Keep 'em flyin'!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(2).jpg

("Diddey suppena ya brutta?" wonders Joe. "I mean, I 'magine he'd know a lotta 'bout..." "He don'know nut'n," snaps Sally. "'Bout nut'n. B'sides, he join't t' Army. Doin' his patriotic duty." "Judge made'im enlist, huh?" "It was jus' a SUGGESTION.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(3).jpg

(The Battling Baldies!)

At least twenty-five Brooklyn gas stations are completely out of fuel today, and many others are doling it out in restricted small quantities, it was reported by Louis Kimmel of the Gasoline Merchants of Brooklyn and Queens. A similar situation prevails in the other boroughs, due to an across the board reduction of 20 percent in fuel deliveries to retailers due to the continuing shortage of oil tankers. The situation is expected to ease somewhat on Saturday, when dealers are due to receive April's second allotment of fuel.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(4).jpg

("A PIVOTAL figgeh!" beams Sally. "He awrways WAS goodatttem double plays!" "'Morice Van Robays," shrugs Joe. "Who names a kid Morice Van Robays?" "'At's a typological erreh," declares Sally. "It's 'Maurice." Very dignified name." "Howcum you know so much 'bout t'eh Pittsboigs?" frowns Joe. "You ain' gett'n all funny again a' nut'n -- is ya?" "You'll see," Sally smiles inscrutably. "You'll see.")

After a regular diet of telegraphed recreations thru the spring, radio listeners will get their first live broadcast of the season over WHN tomorrow, as Red Barber and his new sidekick Alan Hale, now sponsored by that cigarette concern that boasts that "something new has been added," deliver a play by play account of the Dodgers' pre-season game against the Yankees at Ebbets Field, in a broadcast set to begin at 2:55 pm. Red's former cohort, Brother Al Helfer, is now on active duty as an officer in the U. S. Navy.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(5).jpg

(Never try to understand superhero physics, because that way lies madness. I mean, look at Boody.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(6).jpg

(He doesn't want any trouble with the Musicians Union. That Petrillo is a tough customer.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(7).jpg
(CALLED IT, sort of.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(8).jpg

(Well, that's that! Wonder what new strip we'll see here tomorrow?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(9).jpg

(If this leads into a whole week of Irwin being outsmarted by a pigeon, it'll all be worth it.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_9__1942_.jpg

I think it's safe to say that the News morgue contains an enormous filing cabinet containing nothing but twenty years' worth of photos of Babe Ruth, so of course let's run a photo of Teresa Wright.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(1).jpg

Maybe you should have tried a little mustard.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(2).jpg

Honestly, you've got to admire the skill involved.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(3).jpg

Don't feel bad, Padre, it didn't work for Cordell Hull either.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(4).jpg

"Hey, I'm doing my part!"

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(5).jpg

Keep your story straight now.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(6).jpg

That's unfair to codfish.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(7).jpg

#metoo42.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(8).jpg

It's OK, it's just that 3.2 they hid away in 1933 in case Repeal didn't pass.

Daily_News_Thu__Apr_9__1942_(9).jpg

Don't do that, please. Just don't do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe