Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Disney Diner

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Here is my issue with your approach to the Lounge: you seem to be using it as your own personal reference desk. Why do you think someone here has the answer, and why do you think you have the right to just dial up and ask? A lot of the questions you ask are just not known but one can make educated guesses. Show us something and give us your theories - that way the collective knowledge increases. The way you are using this is not a contribution... you're just taking.

Here is a short thread about Dupont. It raises questions and members discuss their conclusions, but nobody has a clear answer. Some think 1940s but others point out that similar processes are seen much earlier. Why not contribute your own findings to that thread?

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/dupont-process.20893/#post-372320

Or why not post two hats here with different Disney labels and discuss why you believe one pre-dates the other or even state why you find it difficult to tell which one is older? (edit: it looks like Fruno already gave you the answer... just click the link he provided and read it!)

Despite your claims on another thread about being a historian, you seem to have a hard time doing research and formulating your own ideas. Even sometimes when told a piece of information directly you still don't get it. For example, your interaction last year on the Penney's Marathon thread where you called a Marathon stitched brim a "Mode Edge" and a "felted edge" despite being corrected. You've been a member here for ten years and you don't know what a "Mode Edge" is or which hat maker used that term? That is freshman knowledge... at this point you should be teaching relative newbies like me about hats. This tells me you don't actually use this site as a resource.... you just seem to be using it to satisfy your own ego about the provenence of hats in your collection.

Looking at your "postings" history, I see that you have made some contributions, but by and large your postings are of the "service me" variety. That's not what any of us are here for. I am almost to the point of adding you to my ignore list. I hate gatekeepers and I don't want to be one (nor do I feel entitled to be one on this site), but you are acting parasitically and imo you should change your approach.

Whatever, do what you want. Just my two cents.
I appreciate your opinion and you're entitled to it. I have written several historical books which were on Amazon. When doing my research if I couldn't find the information I was looking for, I would then ask those in the field who had firsthand knowledge of what I was writing about. Nothing wrong with this and this site to me is no different. If I can't find what I'm inquiring about then I throw the question out there in hopes someone will know the answer or point me to someone who may. So to say I'm only taking from this site is totally absurd. This site even has a category: "Ask a question. get an answer." To say I'm using this site to satisfy my own ego with the provenance of hats in my collection. Well, I have to agree with you to a certain extent on that. Why not? I'm not of deep pockets so the hats that I find, I'm extremely proud of and I want to show them off. But how is this any different than anyone else on here. Each of you have shown your hats, wanting your egos pumped so everyone else can bolster your find on a pedestal. I'm no different than others on here who are satisfying their egos as well and the provenance of their collection.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I appreciate your opinion and you're entitled to it. I have written several historical books which were on Amazon. When doing my research if I couldn't find the information I was looking for, I would then ask those in the field who had firsthand knowledge of what I was writing about. Nothing wrong with this and this site to me is no different. If I can't find what I'm inquiring about then I throw the question out there in hopes someone will know the answer or point me to someone who may. So to say I'm only taking from this site is totally absurd. This site even has a category: "Ask a question. get an answer." To say I'm using this site to satisfy my own ego with the provenance of hats in my collection. Well, I have to agree with you to a certain extent on that. Why not? I'm not of deep pockets so the hats that I find, I'm extremely proud of and I want to show them off. But how is this any different than anyone else on here. Each of you have shown your hats, wanting your egos pumped so everyone else can bolster your find on a pedestal. I'm no different than others on here who are satisfying their egos as well and the provenance of their collection.
Enough….Enough!!
Stop yousplaining!
When digging a hole it’s best to stop digging before the walls cave in.
Many have tried and many have died.
That’s called…history.
You’re….no….different!!
Most know this.
B

MikeinRome

Practically Family
The only mild exception I have to the info above in reference to Disney Hats dating is not with Brad’s research… but to a common interpretation of it, that “Disney Hats” always predate Mr Disney. I don’t think it is quite as linear. While it is true Mr Disney was not used in commerce til about 1947, the Disney Hats branding without Mr Disney did continue to appear on hats until the end of the line. I have a few examples labeled as Disney Hats that I believe are 1960s (possibly even an early 70s) with no mention of Mr Disney. While I’d LOVE to claim them to be pre 1947.. my eyes and experience won’t let believe that to be true.

What I did learn today in reading the above link was about Stetson acquiring Lee around 1960. From this info… I might speculate. This may be about the time “Disney Hats“ name was revived over Mr Disney.

I have to agree with Bowen. Overall I don’t think I’ve had a Disney hat in hand I didn’t really enjoy.… whether marked Disney Hats or Mr Disney. And just to note… I don’t believe I’ve been lucky enough to handle one early enough to be produced by Crofut and Knapp.
Blare, I was thinking a lot of the same things you said, so you saved me the time of writing it. In fact, seems to me that hats labeled as Mr Disney in the 50's and 60's are only a small minority, while those labeled just Disney are in the distinct majority.

If all you are doing is looking at photos, then you are missing a MASSIVE amount of information on this site - and it’s no wonder you didn’t know what “Mode Edge” was after ten years.

Not worth arguing about. Your interactions in no way impede my use or enjoyment of this site, I’d just rather not see them. I bet I’m on a few people’s ignore list and there are definitely a few on mine - nothing wrong with that. You won’t be lonely there.

Good luck.

It's more fun to point and laugh than put them on ignore.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
All of this Disney talk today made me start Jonesing for one, so I bought an old straw boater Disney a little while ago. I only see one other hat on this Disney thread with the exact same colors in the Disney liner logo. It's on page 6 of thread. Brad Bowers said that hat was from the Crofut & Knapp era, meaning early 1940's or earlier.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240613-000112~2.png
    Screenshot_20240613-000112~2.png
    804.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20240613-000418~2.png
    Screenshot_20240613-000418~2.png
    493.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240613-000330~2.png
    Screenshot_20240613-000330~2.png
    678.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20240613-000304~2.png
    Screenshot_20240613-000304~2.png
    694 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20240613-000146~2.png
    Screenshot_20240613-000146~2.png
    788.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20240612-211033.png
    Screenshot_20240612-211033.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

MikeinRome

Practically Family
My Disney

Hello ladies and gents,

Here is my beloved Disney fedora; it's one of only three American hats I own, but what a hat this one is! I love it! However, I know nothing about how old it might be or why the brand logo inside seems different from all the others here. If anyone can help me to learn a bit about the history of this hat, that would be great! Here are the facts:

• Cavanagh style felted-in edge
  • No protective film in the crown for hair cream protection!
  • Wind trolley
  • Soft (I mean the softest) pliable felt construction; almost floppy with constantly changing bash as you wear it!

disney2.jpg

disney3.jpg

disney4.jpg

disney5.jpg

disney6.jpg

disney7.jpg

disney8.jpg
This is the hat with the same colored liner logo as my Disney straw boater.

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
Here is my issue with your approach to the Lounge: you seem to be using it as your own personal reference desk. Why do you think someone here has the answer, and why do you think you have the right to just dial up and ask? A lot of the questions you ask are just not known but one can make educated guesses. Show us something and give us your theories - that way the collective knowledge increases. The way you are using this is not a contribution... you're just taking.

Here is a short thread about Dupont. It raises questions and members discuss their conclusions, but nobody has a clear answer. Some think 1940s but others point out that similar processes are seen much earlier. Why not contribute your own findings to that thread?

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/dupont-process.20893/#post-372320

Or why not post two hats here with different Disney labels and discuss why you believe one pre-dates the other or even state why you find it difficult to tell which one is older? (edit: it looks like Fruno already gave you the answer... just click the link he provided and read it!)

Despite your claims on another thread about being a historian, you seem to have a hard time doing research and formulating your own ideas. Even sometimes when told a piece of information directly you still don't get it. For example, your interaction last year on the Penney's Marathon thread where you called a Marathon stitched brim a "Mode Edge" and a "felted edge" despite being corrected. You've been a member here for ten years and you don't know what a "Mode Edge" is or which hat maker used that term? That is freshman knowledge... at this point you should be teaching relative newbies like me about hats. This tells me you don't actually use this site as a resource.... you just seem to be using it to satisfy your own ego about the provenence of hats in your collection.

Looking at your "postings" history, I see that you have made some contributions, but by and large your postings are of the "service me" variety. That's not what any of us are here for. I am almost to the point of adding you to my ignore list. I hate gatekeepers and I don't want to be one (nor do I feel entitled to be one on this site), but you are acting parasitically and imo you should change your approach.

Whatever, do what you want. Just my two cents.
I am amazed that so many hat guys jumped on this fellow for asking a question. I didn't know there are high-minded hat snobs here. We are blokes who like hats. Not everyone is an "expert," so there is no need to be snobbish, arrogant, and rude. Peace out.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I am amazed that so many hat guys jumped on this fellow for asking a question. I didn't know there are high-minded hat snobs here. We are blokes who like hats. Not everyone is an "expert," so there is no need to be snobbish, arrogant, and rude. Peace out.
Since you picked me to point out I will respond briefly (and this is my third attempt to do so).

My comments to Gilligan here have come after a full year of interactions with him. They are not a response to this one post he made. But I can see how, if you came across this, you would think we were discouraging users from asking questions. That is NOT what is going on with Gilligan.

I won't say more because it's simply not worth revisiting.

I personally would prefer to see the entire discussion removed by moderators but that's not my choice. I can completely understand your concern and can only say that what you see here is just the tip of the iceberg with this specific user.

However, to help others avoid drawing a similar conclusion as you have made, I am removing my own comments.

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Since you picked me to point out I will respond briefly (and this is my third attempt to do so).

My comments to Gilligan here have come after a full year of interactions with him. They are not a response to this one post he made. But I can see how, if you came across this, you would think we were discouraging users from asking questions. That is NOT what is going on with Gilligan.

I won't say more because it's simply not worth revisiting.

I personally would prefer to see the entire discussion removed by moderators but that's not my choice. I can completely understand your concern and can only say that what you see here is just the tip of the iceberg with this specific user.

However, to help others avoid drawing a similar conclusion as you have made, I am removing my own comments.
That’s too bad you removed your comments because it added context and flow to a conversation that needed had.
Your observations were to the point and valid.
It was what it was…now the conversation it is not.
B

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
That’s too bad you removed your comments because it added context and flow to a conversation that needed had.
Your observations were to the point and valid.
It was what it was…now the conversation it is not.
B
My message got where it needed to get (though I don’t believe it penetrated). My comments are also still visible as quotations in the replies if anybody cares to look.

But if future readers are going to make the mistake that there is a contingency onboard here who don’t favor them asking questions, then I’d rather my comments not contribute to that misconception.

Last edited:

MikeinRome

Practically Family
All of this Disney talk today made me start Jonesing for one, so I bought an old straw boater Disney a little while ago. I only see one other hat on this Disney thread with the exact same colors in the Disney liner logo. It's on page 6 of thread. Brad Bowers said that hat was from the Crofut & Knapp era, meaning early 1940's or earlier.
Additional pics of my Disney boater, now that it has arrived. Hat was priced at $6.50. The ribbon needs replacing and someone sewed over the existing ribbon.

Attachments

• IMG_20240617_184342_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240617_184342_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240617_184358_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240617_184358_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240617_184246_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240617_184246_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240617_184219_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240617_184219_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240617_184058_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240617_184058_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240617_183958_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240617_183958_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240617_183913_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240617_183913_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240617_183849_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240617_183849_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240617_183815_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240617_183815_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Additional pics of my Disney boater, now that it has arrived. Hat was priced at $6.50. The ribbon needs replacing and someone sewed over the existing ribbon.
Lo and behold! I happened to find an extra ribbon for a straw boater laying around my house that someone sent me along with some hat I bought in the past, and this ribbon fits my Disney perfectly, although it's not exactly historically accurate. So at least my Disney is wearable now!

Attachments

• IMG_20240621_105414_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240621_105414_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240621_105339_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240621_105339_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 9

MikeinRome

Practically Family
I'm always glad to see The Hatted Professor make an appearance on The Lounge and getting a Thumbs-Up from him makes me feel like, at least occasionally, I'm on the right track, in spite of what my critics may think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB123