Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dark Side to Vintage...have you 'that' urge for a Gothic look..?

Haversack

One Too Many
To those a few pages back who admired the long Regency overcoat shown in the posted photograph, I did a little looking and found a site that makes what looks to be a pretty close version. (along with a large variety of Regency and Napoleonic Uniforms. - Thank you Mr. Cornwell) You will have to scroll down about 2/3 of the way.

http://www.sutlers.co.uk/acatalog/Clothing.html

Haversack.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
May I also suggest this book, the Cut of Men's Clothes. It has patterns in to to scale up, and is well worth the price in my opinion. I'm going to be sizing some up soon to make a pirate outfit, so I'll let you know how they come out.

And GOK, thank you for your kind offer! How did it go together for you? Do you reccomend it? Since she teaches at Costume College, I think I'll just buy a copy. Gotta help fellow costumers out :)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
BAZ said:
Actually, the Psychobilly "movement" became full of Nazi skinheads looking for a fight.
Knobheads like that ruin EVERYTHING they touch!

Really? I've never heard anything like that! The main thing that separates psychobilly from punk is the fact that it is an apolitical type of music and scene. Even though it's all about having fun and not getting into politics, all the psychobillies I know (on and offline) are very openly anti-racist and won't tolerate it in the scene.

However, that's just how I see it right now. About it's past, I'm not too sure.

GOK

One Too Many
Haversack said:

Don't. Just don't. I've seen lots of their work and find absolutely nothing to recommend it but plenty to put me off.

Lauren said:
May I also suggest this book, the Cut of Men's Clothes. It has patterns in to to scale up, and is well worth the price in my opinion. I'm going to be sizing some up soon to make a pirate outfit, so I'll let you know how they come out.

That's on my wish list! I'm impressed with Waugh's work.

And GOK, thank you for your kind offer! How did it go together for you? Do you reccomend it? Since she teaches at Costume College, I think I'll just buy a copy. Gotta help fellow costumers out :)

I haven't finished it yet. It's not complicated but in all honesty, the sizing is a bit off. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone that wasn't completely au fait with tailoring and alterations. Certainly not for the novice due, to having to re-draft the front bodice. That said, the back is a beautiful shape! Once it's finished, I'll post photos...it may be a while though because I've got so many projects on the go, in addition to work!

Barry

Practically Family
BAZ said:
Man, I remember back in the early 80's (oops, showing my age, but HEY, it IS my birthday today!!!) the "-abilly" was tagged onto EVERYTHING!!
We had Rock,Punk,Goth,Glam,Schlock, ANYTHING get -abilly tagged on.
At one point we were referred to as "Clashabillies" by someone at a

Rapabilly - on You Tube.

:eusa_doh:

Barry

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
lol I know the guy who did that from another board. He actually did an amazing remix of a Mad Sin song that is going to be on their next album. He's pretty good at mash-ups!

As weird as it is I have to admit that it does work. I just thought it was a bizarre mix of genres. :)

I was looking for videos of Batmobile shows and that popped up.

Barry

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I lived in London during the late 80's and hung out with a group of psychobillies. EVERY one of them had skinhead tattoos: crucified skinhead, NF logo, united skins, Sham Army, etc.
I might add that ReePleat's statement regarding LA Lations rockabillies being the only American rockabillies with a close connection the the 50's greasers, totally ridiculous.

DW Evans

New in Town
In reply to Paddy's original question, my interpretation of goth is a bit more subtle, yet just as dark. I, personally, relate the term 'gothic' with the silent films of yesteryear (along with film noirs, of course). Thusly so, I'm lead to believe that this also must have influenced the original make-up aesthetics; in terms of eye-liner, lipstick, et cetera. But historical philosophy aside, I suppose you could possibly relate my style with Bruce Wayne and Batman... as in, most of my appeal is based upon character.

I've always felt that maturity depends greatly on experience rather than age. Accordingly, it is experience that has given me the 'gothic' point of view. It isn't about worshipping death like most people think, but more so taking note of it. I have lost many relatives, friends, and pets over the mere 19 years that I've been on this Earth and seen images of close ones that I'd rather not recall.

And as such, this is my definition of a goth at heart. It is not a person who is trying to fit in or attract an audience. Rather, it's a means of coping, to honor those that have fallen. So the next time you see a 'goth' don't judge based upon aesthetics alone because they may very well be adorned with the medal of hardship that's dipped in black and hung upon the shoulders accordingly.

Mind you, this isn't meant to be a 'one-up' response, nor is it meant to 'start anything.'

I just wanted to show you all a picture of me on Halloween, in 2005. :eek:

ifonlybydwevanswv2.jpg

Please keep in mind that I speak ONLY for myself; unless given permission to do so otherwise.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
MudInYerEye said:
I lived in London during the late 80's and hung out with a group of psychobillies. EVERY one of them had skinhead tattoos: crucified skinhead, NF logo, united skins, Sham Army, etc.
I might add that ReePleat's statement regarding LA Lations rockabillies being the only American rockabillies with a close connection the the 50's greasers, totally ridiculous.

Well, with age and experience people move from subculture to subculture, so it's not unusual to me that psychobillies had skin tattoos. Unfortunate, but not surprising.

Likewise, rockabilly/vintage is supposed to be the "punk rock retirement plan", so I guess I'm retiring a lot earlier than expected!

And about the Latinos being the only American greasers, it's not 100% true, but it is interesting just how many Latinos are involved in the scene. My boyfriend is Mexican and a greaser, and through him I've met so many other Latinos who are into it. Sometimes at shows I'm one of a small handful of white people there!

GOK

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, DWE. :D

DW Evans said:
In reply to Paddy's original question, my interpretation of goth is a bit more subtle, yet just as dark. I, personally, relate the term 'gothic' with the silent films of yesteryear (along with film noirs, of course).

Whereas I see it as a mix of mediaeval, Byronesque and Victorian literature/art/romance!

Thusly so, I'm lead to believe that this also must have influenced the original make-up aesthetics; in terms of eye-liner, lipstick, et cetera.

So, not The Crow then? lol

I've always felt that maturity depends greatly on experience rather than age.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Accordingly, it is experience that has given me the 'gothic' point of view. It isn't about worshipping death like most people think, but more so taking note of it.

This, I think, is often true of so many people that find their own creative path. Our experiences often make us the people we are...although nature has a huge part to play too.

So the next time you see a 'goth' don't judge based upon aesthetics alone because they may very well be adorned with the medal of hardship that's dipped in black and hung upon the shoulders accordingly.

Very poetic! But yes, I agree with you - people should not make snap judgements about others based solely on their appearance. Sadly, it is a fact of life that this will always happen, so the shallow part of me says if you're going to be be judged, then you'd best make sure you look good! lol

That said, judging people by their appearances isn't always negative. I happen to fancy the pants off Johnny Depp -this has nothing to do with his personality and everything to do with aesthetics! :p

I just wanted to show you all a picture of me on Halloween, in 2005. :eek:

Nice pic!

Some of you might be interested to read this article

Kim_B

Practically Family
GOK said:
I think one has to remember that what seems stereotypical to someone outside the 'scene' is a means for the (often quite young) 'Hot topic' folk to feel a sense of belonging. It is often important for kids to be a part of a group - goodness knows, growing up is difficult enough for some, without feeling alienated too. In my experience, goth kids, skate kids, emo kids - call 'em what you will - are some of the most likeable, funny and intelligent people I've ever met.

Adult goths - I have lots and lots of goth friends and mostly they are beautiful people, both inside and out. Just because they wear black doesn't mean they are miserable! Black is stylish IMO. And in some cultures it does not have the morbid connotations so many in the so-called civilised world attribute to it. Quite the opposite in fact.

Despite some of the goth look not being my particular cuppa (some is!), I absolutely love the fact that people are caring about how they look and putting effort into it; even if it is a small one. Frankly, I don't care if they are dressed in impeccable GE attire, Victorian gentleman, 17th century courtesan, or bondage pants and mohican, the fact that they are doing something creative is what impresses me. And for that (doing their own thing..not impressing me!!), nobody should ever be denigrated or made fun of IMO.

:eusa_clap Well said, Gok!

Kim_B

Practically Family
I am about as far from goth in any sense of the word when it comes to appearance. When I go to Hot Topic (yes I shop there sometimes) I feel very out of place and often people stare because I look so "mainstream."

In high school, some of my good friends were considered goth. While they did dress in black/dark clothing and wore the make-up, they were the nicest people at the school. Always looking out for their friends, always friendly - unless you really ticked them off, then you'd better stay away from them! It was interesting to watch them evolve over the years. Their styles changed (some were more hardcore, some grew a little softer around the edges), but their attitudes remained the same, and to me that is what defines a true goth. They remained true to themselves. Which is more than I can say for a lot of people!

As far as the "scene" goes, I've always had an affinity for darker things - music and art, especially. Bands like Stabbing Westward and Nine Inch Nails (while they aren't goth, per se, a lot of their fan-base seems to be, and Trent Reznor has very dark lyrics to a lot of his songs) got me through a lot of issues. Gary Numan is another artist who comes to mind - not truly goth, but dark music and imagery. Oh, and can't forget about Bauhaus! I love KMFDM (and Rammstein), and a lot of their fan-base is also dark and goth-like; Sascha and Lucia of KMFDM are two of the kindest, sweetest people you could ever meet, but just by looking at them or listening to their lyrics, a lot of people are turned off by them. The one experience I had with the goth-fetish-type crowd that was very negative and ruined the entire concert was when a band called CombiChrist opened for KMFDM...those fans are what define the negative stereotypes of all things goth/rave/techno/hard house/etc.

Somewhere in all this rambling I got lost...that happens a lot to me! :rolleyes:

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
MudInYerEye said:

Not sure what I said. But I sure didn't mean that. I think that of course there are a lot of white and other rockabilly and hot rod guys who are pretty close to perfect copies of the vintage greasers, or are very modern derivatives. I won't even bother looking up what I said, but if I somehow implied to the contrary, I misspoke.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
Well, with age and experience people move from subculture to subculture, so it's not unusual to me that psychobillies had skin tattoos. Unfortunate, but not surprising.

Likewise, rockabilly/vintage is supposed to be the "punk rock retirement plan", so I guess I'm retiring a lot earlier than expected!

And about the Latinos being the only American greasers, it's not 100% true, but it is interesting just how many Latinos are involved in the scene. My boyfriend is Mexican and a greaser, and through him I've met so many other Latinos who are into it. Sometimes at shows I'm one of a small handful of white people there!

That is really funny. I do think they are goodretirement plans, although honestly, I think even rockabilly has a certain expiration date. For guys that is. Because rockabilly girls are more about vintage style than the juvenile delinquents look. Especially if you start to go bald and can't do the pompadour thing. I guess if a guy is doing vintage but not so much the t shir jeans thhing he can age pretty gracefully. A lot of guys I see that are I am sure ex punks and hipsters now go for the vintage 50s shirt, maybe a stingy brim, a pea coat or some such, levis, and can fit into mainstream culture, but people who are in the know will recognize the shirt and the nod to vintage style. Worls well.

If you get too old as a rockabilly, you may start to look like a real redneck who looks that way because he always did.

Sadly, some of the punks don't seem to be getting it. THere is nothing sadder than a hippie or a punk who never evolved their style as they push middle age.

Whereas vintage will take you all the way to the grave. I used to joke that I want to be an old man dressed in 40s vintage so peole look at me and go, "damn, how old are you?"

As far as Latinos, I think that a lot of white kids get the t shirt, hot rod look down pretty well, and a lot of the european guys get the vintage clothes angle too, as well as he japanese ( I mena gab jackets, slacks, and such like the real rockabillies wore in emulation of the black guys they admired) but no one gets it quite like the LA Latinos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley