Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Here is an edit to give you a general idea.

img_2111.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I like it both with the original ribbon and the edited image-- can't go wrong!

Dogman, that is a GREAT conversion. You're really good with your ribbons.

scooter

Practically Family
Dogman, that conversion is awesome and I love the ribbon work you've done. I want to try some ribbon treatments myself but haven't taken the time yet.

DNO

One Too Many
I sometimes find bashed up, stained and abused western hats in local thrift stores. They're usually quite cheap and almost always sound, despite appearances. I enjoy picking them up and giving them some new life. I've done this to a couple of Stetson 3X beavers. They really make wonderful fedoras. This one is my latest, a Bailey Regal.

This is how it came home. The lady on the counter at Goodwill looked at my like I was out of my mind.

Bailey1.png

Work in progress. Needed a lot of brushing and steaming. I also stretched it two full sizes. The ribbon was removed and ended up on an alteration of an Akubra Down Under.

Bailey3.png

Took about 1/2" off the brim, gave the crown a teardrop and gave it a new ribbon.

Bailey4.png

And finally, put it on!

Bailey6.png

Learned it all from this thread, so I figured it was time to contribute!

DOGMAN

One Too Many
DNO,you really put alot of work into that hat with a great result.JonnyO,Mikespens,Bowlerman,Chepstow,Scooter,gentlemen thanks so much for the kind remarks about my last conversion.My next one is a friends hat he got at goodwill for 2bucks.It's a Bradford western by Resistol, a wool hat.It will be the first wool I've tried to convert.

DNO

One Too Many
Looks very good DNO. When you say you stretched it 2 sizes, did you have to replace the sweatband?

Thanks a lot everyone. It's a lot of fun rescuing these hats from oblivion.

The sweatband suffered no ill effects at all. I made several applications of Lexol before the stretch and the sweatband came through with flying colours. Even the stitching at the back came through the process without difficulty. Stretching a hat that much can be risky but this one took it like a trooper.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld