Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Not too much of a conversion, but I just didn’t like the size of the brim on my new Campdraft.

Campdraft-Copy.jpg

First I cut off the thin ribbon, and then marked ½” off all around with a pencil and my flexible fabric tape measure by simply holding the metal end of it flush against the edge of the brim and my thumb. I tried to use some kind of fabric marking pencil first, but it didn’t work. Next I took a new pair of scissors I purchased, snipped it down to the line, and then sanded the edge and the pencil marks off. The brim definitely isn’t perfect, and I could sand more, but it looks good enough for me. I was shooting for a 2 3/8” brim, but ended up between that and 2 ¼”. I prefer it to the 2 ½” brims I’ve had in the past.

DSCF2378.jpg

Next up I took the ribbon off my Nostalgia, but it was too small (shrank?) to fit around the hat, so instead I used a slightly smaller one from my old Biltmore. So far my sewing job is holding up. I only stuck the needle through the sweatband once!

DSCF23839.jpg

Tried shaping it with steam, but it just doesn’t cut it, so I’m going to pick up a spray bottle hopefully later today and mist it with distilled water to get the crown and brim just right. Very pleased with how it turned out. I actually ordered a Beaver Brand western hat to work on a few weeks back, but thought I’d try my hand at this one while waiting.

ModifiedCampdraft.jpg

ModifiedCampdraft2.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Not too much of a conversion, but I just didn’t like the size of the brim on my new Campdraft.

ModifiedCampdraft2.jpg

"...not to much of a conversion, ... " ? It's NO LONGER a CD :) What was it about the CD that you liked that made you buy it since you've changed it completely ? You have done a nice job for sure making a NEW 1930's Fedora for sure just curious :)

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Thanks gentlemen. It almost seems as if you can enjoy a hat more when you’ve worked on it yourself. I hope my next one works out as well. If it does, I think I’ll try and pick up a cowboy hat and go to town, all the conversion's everybody’s posted here look great and have been a real inspiration to try something big.

"...not to much of a conversion, ... " ? It's NO LONGER a CD :) What was it about the CD that you liked that made you buy it since you've changed it completely ? You have done a nice job for sure making a NEW 1930's Fedora for sure just curious :)

That’s why I didn’t post it over in the Campdraft thread! :D

I’m not much of a thin ribbon guy, but it sure looked great on everybody else so I figured I’d give it a shot, but when I tried it on I just wasn’t happy with the look. Face is too narrow or something. Wish I didn’t have to remove that bound edge though, I really liked that feature.

EggHead

Practically Family
BJ, looks very nice. I was thinking of replacing thin ribbon myself (got same CD with 2 1/2 brim). When I was in the fabrics store trying out various colors, black looked too stark, then I found this dark brown/green ribbon 1.5". The color fit perfectly with the beige hue of the silverbelly. Is your ribbon a true black one?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Every time I wear my Campdraft deluxe. I have someone ask where to pick one up. Nice change up on one thou I would have to buy another one right away so as to have a normal CD.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
That looks fantastic!
I do wish you had a shot with the thin ribbon still on it.
Very nice job!

Thanks sir. I have to admit the first thing I did was start to take off the ribbon, and it should have been the last. The plus side is I laid it out on my now ribbon-less Nostalgia and like the informal contrasting look, so when I get some time I’ll be sewing it on and joining the brotherhood of the thin ribbon after all.

Hate to see a good CD go away but you can't argue that the crown is that good vintage style. Something Stetson needs to move with!!!!

It’s a great crown. It might just be me, but I like it far better than the Federation’s.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
BJ, looks very nice. I was thinking of replacing thin ribbon myself (got same CD with 2 1/2 brim). When I was in the fabrics store trying out various colors, black looked too stark, then I found this dark brown/green ribbon 1.5". The color fit perfectly with the beige hue of the silverbelly. Is your ribbon a true black one?

I remember seeing your hat, that brim was very nice. The ribbon I used was true black. I was thinking it was off my Biltmore, but looking back I’m pretty sure it came off a black Stetson Ashland. A more complimentary color would look very nice.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Here’s the conversion I actually had planned on doing this month; a white Beaver Brand Classic Western Derby that I ordered through the fedorastore when it was on sale. 6.5” open crown, 2 3/8 brim, with a slight curl and a wide ribbon. I’ll add some observations about the hat in the Beaver Brand thread later, but here’s the conversion.

Out of the box (which was smaller than I had anticipated, I was worried for a minute).

BeaverBrandWhiteWesternDerby.jpg

Bought a handheld steamer, and I needed it because the crown was pretty stiff. (I ordered it less stiff from Beaver Brand, so I’d hate to see what it ordinarily would be). First off I put it under a t-shirt and beat the crown a bit. Then I steamed it up, put in a center crease and ended up with a deep diamond. I wanted the center to dome out slightly for looks and so that I could pull it way down on the head (wouldn’t want this one blowing off), and that was tough, I had to wet it with distilled water and steam it. Ended up turning it into a c-crown. But after drying overnight I was able to resteam it back into a diamond. Otherwise it shaped pretty well. I’m not that practiced on the open crowns, so I didn’t get the shape quite right in the beginning, so I’ve been fixing things and working to smooth out the rough creases since it’s still pretty stiff. I initially tried to put too sharp a pinch in the front, and it wouldn’t take, so I had to spend a bit of time resteaming and smoothing that out. I had wanted the “v” in the front to be lower, but I’d need to go with a different bash to get that. I may try to move the sides of the diamond back further on the hat, as I’ve taken to liking to a longer pinch.

1st Bash (multi-point c-crown)
1-a.jpg

I figured the brim would be relatively flat (discounting the side curl), but it actually bent down in the back. I kept steaming and wetting it over and over, bending it up between the fingers to try and get a slight curl to it. It wasn’t going well (looked worse and uneven), but after drying it now has an almost even slight curl around the entire back. I think I’ll keep working on it, and I might even try building a flange in the workshop, but after this morning it was wearable. If I feel really lucky, I might try and cut down the brim a bit too (looks good at 2 3/8, but 2 1/4 or 2 1/8 would probably look better). Of course I’ve already smudged it, why I got a white one to practice on is beyond me, but it’s working out pretty well so I hope to get another in a few months with a bit smaller brim in less fussy light color. I was worried it would be a heavy, uncomfortable hat like my Biltmore, but it’s actually very comfortable and not noticeably heavy at all. Here are some photos (not the best, there’s a big picture window on the other end of the room letting it too much light).

2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
WhiteHat.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Well done, BJ Hedberg.

I suspect that sales of white Beaver Brands may soon spike ... ;)

I'm going to be getting one real soon! Its the perfect canvas for those 20's/early 30's style hats that I love so much. With a 6 1/2 inch open crown, it leaves plenty of room for those wonderful deep creases. Again, BJ Hedberg, EXCELLENT job!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld