Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

I would assume that with a block, you can take a western, say with a Cattleman's crease, and re-block it. I ask because I just got a block, flange and stand and want to try doing a few conversions before I make a lid for my self. Any imput appreciated. Thanks !

DSCF6197.jpg

I love dreamcicles! but I don't think I could pull the hat off. with the right person / outfit, it'd be great though....

:D

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Tom-n-Perris,

That dreamcicile pork pie is the bees knees. And I couldn't make that one work on me if I wanted it to!! LOL My face odes not fit stingy brims in the least.

Still that is certainly a unique color scheme and I like what you've done with it.

KBGummy

New in Town
Here is another one that have finished. I saw someone eating a creamsicle bar, the ones that look like this.

psicleCreamsicleBar.jpg

Then I got an inspiration to try and make a hat using the same colors. I thought it would make a good combination so here is a Resistol Cowboy hat that is now a Pork Pie. As always gentlemen let me know if I have hit the mark on this one. I will be putting this one in the classifieds so I hope some FL will give this lid a good home.

DSCF6197.jpg

DSCF6198.jpg

DSCF6199.jpg

DSCF6202.jpg

DSCF6203.jpg

DSCF6204.jpg

Wow! :eusa_clap

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
Well it seems lately that my friends are having a contest to see who can find the worst Cowboy hat that can't be fixed for me to try my hat skills on. So I received one that was so bad I didn't even think I could have the slightest chance on saving. So I didn't take a before picture and I was just going to consent defeat. The sweat band was fused on to the hat and the previous owner had sewn the top of the sweatband on the hat directly to keep it on the hat using a sewing machine. The stitches were center mid crown and crooked. I mean this hat was just hopeless so I thought what the heck I guess I should go through the motions of trying to salvage the hat. It made this hat look like it was brand new! :eeek:
DSCF5673.jpg

DSCF5677.jpg

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
So here is the outcome of my long hours of hard work. As always gentlemen let me know if I hit the mark on this conversion

DSCF6224.jpg

DSCF6226.jpg

DSCF6229.jpg

DSCF6230.jpg

DSCF6232.jpg

This hat also had a hole right in the center of the crown. I did manage to fix the whole but as you can see it is still some what visible. I will be listing this one in the classified section.

DSCF6234.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hit the mark? You blew the mark away, along with every living and non-living thing in a ten-mile radius! Once again, I am utterly stunned at your work :).

I was wondering, too: as far as the Corral is concerned, do only western-to-dress conversions apply, or can we submit dress-to-western conversions, too?

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Next Project....

A nice Resistol I picked up for $17 and change. I definitely can't pull off the western look, so this will end up a nice, hopefully untapered fedora when I'm done. Now I have to search and figure out how to get all this stiffener out of it. :eusa_doh: Any tips are more than welcome. :D

DSC05512.jpg

DSC05514.jpg

DSC05515.jpg
DSC05516.jpg
DSC05517.jpg

mycroft000

New in Town
This thread made me look into getting ahold of my granddad's old cowboy hats and converting them to fedoras. I picked them up out of the storage shed at 2:30 this afternoon, and have the first one partially converted now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57611562@N06/5301739239/
For some reason I can't get the image to post here, but the link to the flickr picture does work.

This is a Resistol 5X, with the Cattleman crown. I'll need to get a proper ribbon on it in place of the one I've just placed on it for the moment, and need to get the brim cut, but other than that I'm pretty happy with the result.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I just picked up two old brown cowboy hats at an antique store yesterday for 25 dollors for both. I was going to use them for parts, but I decided that I would see what I could do with them. Heres the results:

First hat:
BEFORE
DSC04580.jpg

DSC04581.jpg

AFTER
DSC04614.jpg

DSC04615.jpg

DSC04616.jpg

DSC04618.jpg

DSC04622.jpg

DSC04619.jpg

DSC04624.jpg

DSC04626.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Heres the second hat. I was going for the James Cagney style with this one. High crown and short brim. I decided to make my own ribbon using a vintage ribbon from a project hat. I thought that adding the frayed edge on the ribbon would give the hat that 20's/30's touch. The original liner and design of the sweatband stamp make it look much older than the hat probably is.

BEFORE
DSC04582.jpg

AFTER
DSC04591.jpg

DSC04586.jpg

DSC04589.jpg

DSC04592.jpg

DSC04595.jpg

DSC04609.jpg

DSC04612.jpg

DSC04601.jpg

Forum statistics