Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

John Galt

Vendor
Finished the binding on my Stetson Nutria Conversion.

Here's the before:

y5upa4e9.jpg

a2a8yvez.jpg

9utybema.jpg

u7e6u4uj.jpg

3a7e2aju.jpg

3ana9yhu.jpg

evetepud.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
After:

hejyge8y.jpg

bytypene.jpg

eqy6aby6.jpg

ru6e8eqy.jpg

vemy3yqu.jpg

a7ehyvyq.jpg

putaseny.jpg

I wish I'd done a little better with the seam on the binding, but otherwise very pleased.

Stats:

$29 cowboy hat
6 7/8 re-blocked to 7 1/8 size
5 5/8 " crown
2 3/4 "brim
1/4 " Brim trim
1 " Hat band (George Bros 1951) with 9 Gills

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Nahrr ... I read 1/2" in the picture(?) To me it looks like a folded 12''' (1 1/8") ribbon. The Whippet is bound with a folded 9''' (13/16") ribbon. The difference is probably only visible to pedantic old men, though ;)

John Galt

Vendor
Nahrr ... I read 1/2" in the picture(?) To me it looks like a folded 12''' (1 1/8") ribbon. The Whippet is bound with a folded 9''' (13/16") ribbon. The difference is probably only visible to pedantic old men, though ;)

[EDIT] It is a folded 1 1/8", which resulted in 1/2" top and bottom. I like it, and am wearing it at a speakeasy with braces and pinstripe tonight.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
John, that turned out great! The felt really cleaned up nicely and the ribbon work is very well done.

Like Ole, I read a 1/2" on the measuring tool. Is that instrument made especially for brim bindings and reads the total of both sides or am I misreading it?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I will just point out, that I don't find it too wide - I like it. I recently bought an Adam with a 9''' binding with a narrow top and wider underside - just an ant-nose short of 1/2". Love it ;)

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks Ole. I think it works with the wide brim. I have two Whippets, one 1940's and one 1950's. They have 3/8" and 7/16" bindings, respectively. This one is 1/16" wider than the widest one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe