Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Though not vintage this Borsalino Bogart is a joy to wear, soft and comfortable (on a walk around Oglebay Park, Wheeling West Virginia)

View attachment 645987
Not vintage at all, but It was last Borsalino to have a real appeal. I was tempted in Venezia some year ago...It has a perfect combination of colours, very classic in Borsalino range, with a retrò shape and a good felt. Maybe one day

Marcel,

Super find and in fantastic condition! This is a Type 2 celled label. They are earlier paper labels. You can see more here (see link below). I need to update the thread although your hat is probably the only one. Can you please post your hat here.

Last edited:

Pellie

One Too Many
Marcel,

Super find and in fantastic condition! This is a Type 2 celled label. They are earlier paper labels. You can see more here (see link below). I need to update the thread although your hat is probably the only one. Can you please post your hat here.

Thanks Steve. I just posted it in the this thread ;-)

M.M.

New in Town
I have been looking into F.C. de Hosson of Leiden. It stands for Frederic Carolus de Hosson, born in Dordrecht on the 13th of march 1908 and died 29th of december 1991 in Sassenheim. He was on the city council of Leiden from 1948 until 1958 for the KVP (Catholic People's Party) and had a shop in menswear in Leiden (hence the name on the hat of course). The shop was located on Gangetje 6 in Leiden. Could not find any visual reference of either the man or the shop.
Thanks Steur! I initially did a quick search for FC de Hosson, but didn't find anything. Inspired by your finds I did some searching through the archives of Leiden newspapers and found some more information.

The menswear store was called 'Windsor' and run by F.C. de Hosson between 1943 and 1968, which gives us an indication that the hat is (probably not much) older than 1943. The shop changes to a ladieswear shop in 1977 ('Lady Windsor').

I found the following ad from July'44, when Leiden was still occupied. (It says: 'A Borsalino was always synonymous to something good. The same can be said when Windsor has treated your old hat. Because Windsor does it so correct.' and 'Windsor for repairs of shawls, hats and underwear.' )

1728806809267.png

I found one picture of the shop. The archive tells us 1972, but I'm not sure that's the date of the picture or when it was added to the archive. It's the one behind the tree, without the sunscreen.
1728808180793.png

In 1957, FC de Hosson received some Catholic decoration, pictured with the bishop of Rotterdam and with his wife.

1728809785657.png

(The sources, for completeness: shop start date, ad, decoration picture, about the shop, shop picture)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cossack