Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Aristocrat of All Straw Hats 1923 Casa Arcantales Montecristi

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SHARPETOYS said:
Ecuador, with his name ?¢‚Ǩ?ìFranklin D. Roosevelt?¢‚Ǩ? embossed in gold letters on the interior sweat band. I was told by my mother that Mrs. Roosevelt had told her that this particular hat had been worn by Franklin Roosevelt at the Teheran Conference in 1943.

Gasp.

Let's see that sweat band.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Not mine...

:eek: No FDR. Hat...The note was a part of the package I got with my hat.

The seller said he bought "my hat" at a Estate Sale and he never saw the FDR Hat. I bet its part of some private collection !!

I wish it was FDR hat!!:)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Along the lines of "eating my heart out"... Hearing tale of 2800 and 5600 wpsi hats on another site. Looks like jealousy to me. There is a photo to boot. Of course, the photo doesn't have a ruler running with the weave so that you can count the weave yourself. the number of vueltas has me thinking much lower than 2800, but as we know, vueltas can lie. I call it a 2800X Montecristi and of course if I want more money I'd call it a 5600X. The Xs don't lie, you know.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
174202135_ebe1aca9c1.jpg

Practically the same logo is on the replicated fall and winter styles of 1878. Only the shield is shaped differently.

stetsonlogo.jpg

Johnnysan

One Too Many
This is Karma...a one-of-a-kind panama that is without equal finding its way into the hands of someone who knows how to preserve and appreciate it for what it is! What a beauty and in my size, too... ;)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I'd love to see the inside of that Stetson hat to count the vueltas. You can see 3-4 strongly prounounced rings from the outside of the hat on the top of the crown. That gives me the thought that it is a fino Cuenca Llano. I've got one around here, a bit beat up, but I'll try to find it after my TERRIBLE homework to illustrate what I mean. I could be full of beans, too!

Okay, here is the old Cuenca. This is/was a nice hat. Has some cracked straw in it, but pretty fine hat. A Montecristi like this would probably have 10-12 vueltas, or rings, in the crown. This hat, as you can see, has 5 or so.

Cuencantique2.JPG

Cuencaantique.JPG

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Bump for Gene's amazing find. Apparently, this sort of thing happens every few years. I sure hope that I'm next. :)

buler

I'll Lock Up
Thread of the day bump. Ok, I probably won't do this every day but I think its a good idea to kick some of the oldies up to the top for people who don't dredge thru the early stuff.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007