Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Academic Gown

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Another full-time academic here, we just had spring graduation this week.

364356795.jpg

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Academic Gowns

I am graduating this month and don't have a clue what is the best thing to wear under the gown, as I just don't have a clue what would be best. I tried to find a picture of my university gown, and couldn't, but the colours are black, gold and purple:

20060429lse360073.jpg

I can't decide if I could get away with a burnt orange swing dress, or should I wear a shirt? I don't own a suit... I really don't have a clue!

Edward

Bartender
I just this week picked up my own black gown (no hood as of yet). I may one day wear it to graduation as I may well not be completing the PhD after all. Oh well!

tom78

New in Town
Charlie Huang said:
Oxford still has the tradition of gown wearing in exams. A vote by the student body in recent years secured its continued practice. I don't think any other unis still wear gowns during exams but I imagine there is nothing stopping you from wearing one (provided that your uni prescribes an undergraduate gown for you to wear).

And not just the gown. Full academic dress: black suit, white shirt, white bow tie, gown, hoods where appropriate. Although I remember wearing my cap only once! Carried it the rest of the time.

The white fur is used to trim Oxford undergraduate hoods, with the higher degrees in silk. Interesting story about proximity to the fire!

tom78

New in Town
Queue said:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that academic garb has/had to be worn when sitting for exams &c in English universities (e.g. Oxford).

Not sure if it's in both of the English universities. ;)

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I'm starting Oxford next year. Apparently we have to wear the gowns to eat our evening meal too. [huh]

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
tom78 said:
Not sure if it's in both of the English universities. ;)

No, at the other university we sit exams without gowns or sub fusc. A good thing too, since my finals were held in an airless concert hall when the temperature outside was in the high 20s.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Even though I'm sure no one is really that interested in what I wear under my gown :)) ) I just wanted to share, because I'm pretty excited with my final decision! I am going for a very plain black dress with pencil skirt, and I found these amazing shoes in my school colours (purple and gold) as 'flair':

Photo11-1.jpg

Photo12-1.jpg

I just love them! I may even double-post the pictures into the powder room for the other ladies to see, as they were a real bargain at £12. :D

hatguy1

One Too Many
I teach part-time at a very traditional high school here in New Zealand. For the graduation and end of year prize-giving, all the staff wear traditional academic gowns. I, for one, love it... too bad we can't wear them year-round like in the old days. [huh]

academic-gown.jpg

I was even able to find a tie in my collection that had the same pink and blue coloring as my hood! :D

Kind regards,
Indy

Gotta admit; the older I get, the more I like tradition. And therefore the AD has come to mean more to me over the years. "Dress for success" and all that rot, eh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1