Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
When I was a boy, my mother and father urged us not to exaggerate a grievance with the injunction, "Don't make a Federal case out of it."

Anyone else ever get this advice, and if so, does anyone know the origin?

rjb1

Practically Family
Speaking of exaggerating a grievance, my dad had a phrase about that that I have never heard from anyone else. If someone was whining about some trivial matter, especially if the person had brought it on themselves, he would look at them seriously and say, "Do you know what they call that in Russia?"
They would stop and say "No?". He would then say seriously, "Tough Sh--ski."
It may be one of those things that you had to be there to appreciate, but I still get a smile from thinking of him saying that.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Here's one story"
'New York City-born comedian Jimmy Durante (1893-1980) used “Why the guy’s making a federal case out of it” on his radio show with Gary Moore, The Durante-Moore Show, broadcast about 1944 and printed in a book published in 1945. The phrase was picked up by other New York writers (Walter Winchell, Evan Hunter, George Axelrod, Jerome Weidman) and it appears likely that Durante coined the expression of “making a federal case.”'

hatguy1

One Too Many
How about the phrase "one doesn't discuss politics, sex or religion in polite, mixed company?" Not a term necessarily, oh wait! Yes it is - several of them - decorum, manners, reserve...just to name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
How about the phrase "one doesn't discuss politics, sex or religion in polite, mixed company?" Not a term necessarily, oh wait! Yes it is - several of them - decorum, manners, reserve...just to name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
?...FIFTY+ years of "Forty years of watching the world I grew up in dismantled by people who claim to have my best interests at heart" (e.g, liberals) all the while eating away at middle class income with higher and higher taxes to find an evermore bloated and hopelessly inefficient big govt while running the Constitution and bill of Rights through the shredder.

?...And, yeah; it is a political thing and yeah it is a liberal v. conservative thing. You just don't want to admit it.

Yes. Of course.

Last edited:
Here's one story"
'New York City-born comedian Jimmy Durante (1893-1980) used “Why the guy’s making a federal case out of it” on his radio show with Gary Moore, The Durante-Moore Show, broadcast about 1944 and printed in a book published in 1945. The phrase was picked up by other New York writers (Walter Winchell, Evan Hunter, George Axelrod, Jerome Weidman) and it appears likely that Durante coined the expression of “making a federal case.”'

I clearly recall my mother using that phrase with some regularity back when I was in my early childhood, and before she took a job with the U.S. Department of Justice. I'm guessing the two -- her dropping that pet phrase and her new position -- aren't purely coincidental.

rjb1

Practically Family
"It is 1am, we now conclude our broadcast day" followed by the National Anthem and white noise for 6 hours."
With a test pattern of an Indian on the screen for the six hours... "Test pattern" itself is a "disappeared" term.

When I tell someone that I'll be doing something on a regular basis I often use the term, "Same time, Same station"... You have to be a certain age to have heard that.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"It is 1am, we now conclude our broadcast day" followed by the National Anthem and white noise for 6 hours."
With a test pattern of an Indian on the screen for the six hours... "Test pattern" itself is a "disappeared" term.

When I tell someone that I'll be doing something on a regular basis I often use the term, "Same time, Same station"... You have to be a certain age to have heard that.

I often use the phrase "Same Bat time. Same Bat channel.

Boys & girls. Ladies & gentlemen. All you ships at sea!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"...and all the ships at sea" comes from Walter Winchell, the greatest forgotten phrasemaker of the 20th Century.

Other Winchellisms due for revival:

Middle-aisled -- married

Reno-vated -- divorced

Infanticipating -- pregnant

Lohengrinning -- looking forward to getting married

That Way -- romantically interested

"Orchids to..." -- giving praise where praise was due.

Winchell was also the first media figure to call the Nazis "Ratzis," which he began to do when his sponsor told him not to say "Nazis" on the air for fear of offending German listeners.

We have a couple of powerful "X" radio stations that are from Mexico but broadcast in English and they sign off with the Mexican national anthem.

[video=youtube;QreMMbk1Y7s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QreMMbk1Y7s[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally