Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
"One Lung engine". Referring to a one cylinder engine as used in certain cheap early motorcars, such as the Orient and the Brush.

How about "Katie, bar the door!"

Last edited:
'That's a horse of a different color.'

u2eguhan.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I love old baseball terms. You still hear some today.

A good pitcher can really throw the "pill". If it's a brand new ball, it's a "pearl". He might "paint the black" with a nasty "yakker", hit you with the ol' "yellow hammer" or really "get in your kitchen". Of course, you might just be a "banjo hitter" or a "muffin" in general. But as long as you show a little "ginger" with the "willow", a "daisy cutter" or a "dying quail" will keep the "cranks" happy, especially if there are "ducks on the pond".

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
"One Lung engine". Referring to a one cylinder engine as used in certain cheap early motorcars, such as the Orient and the Brush.

How about "Katie, bar the door!"

Single cylinder motorcycles are still referred to as One Lungers.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Yannigan" -- an early 20th Century baseball term for a brash newcomer who hasn't earned his place on the team but struts around like he owns the place. A derisive variant of "rookie," the 1910 equivalent of "newbie." It was very common in spring training games to split a team into "Regulars" versus "Yannigans" for intersquad practice.

"Put an asterisk next to that" -- denigration of an accomplishment as perhaps not having been legitimately earned. Derives of course from the controversy over Roger Maris's 61 home run season in 1961, and Commissioner Ford Frick's suggestion that the new record be marked with an asterisk because it was accomplished in a 162 game season and not the former 154 game schedule. Although no asterisk was actually inserted, the term stuck for a long time.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
My mother, a Canadian farm girl born in 1920, referred to a fuss or commotion as a "Shemozzle" which I believe is a Jewish expression. How it gained currency in rural Ontario is more than I could say.

My mother, a Canadian farm girl born in 1920, referred to a fuss or commotion as a "Shemozzle" which I believe is a Jewish expression. How it gained currency in rural Ontario is more than I could say.

I believe the term is "schlimazel", which literally means "bad luck". From what I understand, it can refer to a chronically unlucky person or to an unfortunate occurrence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88