Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Term query: trouser cuff protection

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Can't think of it - how are the reinforcement tapes called on the inside of the trouser leg bottom that protrude just a bit and are meant to prevent the edge from abrasion on the shoe? Simply reinforcement tapes? Inner cuffs, bottom liner, liner tape? Selvage is something different, I think.

Wouldn't mind a history lesson about it either, of course.

Barry

Practically Family
Are these heel guards?

I have a vintage suit with heel guards - I need to have it altered soon, and I'm going to ask the tailor to sew in new ones.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Right, heel guards in a narrow sense might be the stays only, not a tape all around. (Still, that's the word I was looking for.)

So, history?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Heel guards.

I've seen them sewn in the heel area only, heal and toe area with a gap on the side and all the way around. I like it all around. Some tailors will use excess fabric from the cutting of the suit or the trimmings from the cuff alteration to fashion "self" heal guards. I don't know the history but all my father's trousers had "self" heal guards and he was a Golden Age guy. [huh]

Shoes303.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
They get some extra value if you don't manage to find decent heavy fabrics, adding weight to the trouser ends. I've seen this pleasant effect on some of my modern off-the-peg suits - rather cheap department store ones, by the way.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
They get some extra value if you don't manage to find decent heavy fabrics, adding weight to the trouser ends.
Exactly, not only do they help the trousers hang better but they also give form to the cuffs of linen, silk and tropical wools which are prone to collapsing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley