Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Templeform

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I did a college visit today to the University of Philadelphia. It was okay, I liked the ones I looke at over Spring break better. We ate lunch at a funky old luncheonette, and then found a vintage shop. I can never leave those things empty handed.

There was a giant pile of hats, I picked through them. Wool, cheapo straw, tiny motheaten stetson. And then, at the bottom of the pile I find this. In my size and everything. It had brown orange stains all over it, so the shopkeeper let me have it for 20 (mind you, the wool felt junk hats were running 30). A bit of cleaning with a hat sponge and a brush when I got home, and it's good as new.

It's a Templeform (Only place I've ever heard of them was on thefedorastore website). It's decent felt, a bit on the thickish side.
Headliner reads "Templeform by stylepark New York Aristo-ten"

Under the sweatband is the original owner's info:
Wch. VanHorne
49 Johns Rd.
Cheltenham, PA

Brim is 2-5/8
wind string button is sewn to bow, other end loops over it.

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

D

DBFedora

Once again...

...another excellent find, Dinerman. fedora:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just found the former owner online: he lived in the house listed under the sweatband until he died.
Here's his obituary:
Dr.William L. Van Horne, analytical chemist
formerly with Rohm and Haas, August 17th 2005
at 91. He joined Rohm and Haas in 1940
where he worked on instrumental methods,
oil additives evaluation, and oil additives
research, retiring in 1976. He was a member
of ACS for over 60 years.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
A little history behind the owner of the hat is always interesting. Sometimes I will do research into the name of the store printed on the hat . It's amazing how many stores there were years ago .

Steven
www.bencraft.com

Yeah, it's always good to know more than the seller does. I've found those orange-brown spots on old hats, too. Don't ask me what it is, but it sure does make 'em look like hell -- like they have some deadly and contagious disease or something. But, in my experience, it's just surface soiling, and a bit of elbow grease is about all it takes to remove it.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
besdor said:
Sometimes I will do research into the name of the store printed on the hat . It's amazing how many stores there were years ago .

I try to do this, as well. It can often provide an interesting glimpse into the past. In one case, it actually helped to date one of my hats, since the store was only open for 8 years...

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
I've found those orange-brown spots on old hats, too. Don't ask me what it is, but it sure does make 'em look like hell -- like they have some deadly and contagious disease or something.

In the case of vintage Stetsons, I've found the culprit to be the orange cellophane that was part of the original packaging. Once it disintegrates and comes into contact with the hat or liner, it can leave these orange spots or stains.

Cheers,
JtL

Just curious, Spencer, to know what your folks think of this vintage hat habit of yours. Do they ever say "Good Lord, how many hats does this kid need?"
I ask because that's precisely what my lovely wife is starting to wonder, now that hats (many of which rarely get worn) take up more space than we can spare, really. I suppose it takes a certain level of patience and affection to share a living space with a person with such a obsession. I'm happy to be on the receiving end of that arrangement.
Good thing she likes the look of the vintage hat boxes, because there are always shifting stacks of them in our dining area. (The newer, plainer boxes are relegated to closet shelves.)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Nice find. You may be starting to get some of the Douglas luck for hats.;)
Sure wish I could find hats like that around here. Most of what I find is great, but for the tiniest of heads.:( Thank goodness for OFAS.;)

Cheers!

Dan

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
tonyb said:
Just curious, Spencer, to know what your folks think of this vintage hat habit of yours. Do they ever say "Good Lord, how many hats does this kid need?"
I ask because that's precisely what my lovely wife is starting to wonder, now that hats (many of which rarely get worn) take up more space than we can spare, really. I suppose it takes a certain level of patience and affection to share a living space with a person with such a obsession. I'm happy to be on the receiving end of that arrangement.
Good thing she likes the look of the vintage hat boxes, because there are always shifting stacks of them in our dining area. (The newer, plainer boxes are relegated to closet shelves.)

My parents think it's pretty cool. My dad used to collect vintage clothes when he was a hippy, and my mom is just happy that I know quality. I'm paying with my own money, and keeping them in my own room, so they're fine with it.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The late Dr. Van Horne sounds like he was a smart guy as well as stylish. Do you feel any smarter when you wear the hat?

Hey, that's an idea for a sci-fi movie! Man buys vintage hat, and hears the thoughts of the deceased former owner when he wears it. :eek:

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:
The late Dr. Van Horne sounds like he was a smart guy as well as stylish. Do you feel any smarter when you wear the hat?

Hey, that's an idea for a sci-fi movie! Man buys vintage hat, and hears the thoughts of the deceased former owner when he wears it. :eek:

*jots that one down* You just gave me the idea for my next independent film project! lol lol lol

Earp

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:

It seems like I remember a Lights Out or Dimension X episode with that theme. And the guy who originally owned the hat was a murderer. I don't know ... gee that seems familiar. [huh]

mingoslim

Practically Family
Back to the orginal discussion . . .

I am interested on anything you found out about the Templeform . . . I picked one up myself a couple of months back. I bought it because the price was right from eBay, and was very pleased once it arrived . . . Nice looking (after a little steam and reblocking) . . . light weight . . . A great pruchase at twice what I paid for it . . .

So what have you found out about the brand/maker?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1