Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Newsboy Opinions

santa fe

New in Town
I have been looking for a light newsboy for summer. I like the texture and thread blend in the silk caps when compared to linen caps, but I am wondering if the tighter weave of the silk caps might make them hotter?

Viper Man

Banned
Sorry, I don't have anything to add but I'm curious to see what others say. I just ordered a linen cap from B!Wear and this will be my first in that material. I typically prefer straw in warmer temps but it's been so rainy that my milans haven't had much head time.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Silk, and silk blends, are generally regarded as decent summer materials. I have heard that silk remains comfortable in summer months due to its efficient "absorption" properties.

Linen is also efficient in the "absorption" area, and it is also said to radiate heat well. It is very durable (much more than silk, in my experience), but soft. The only downside is the propensity it has for wrinkling. However, the general wrinkles one gets in linen caps is, in my opinion, very pleasant looking. Don't know why I like the look... I just seem to. Go figure.

Light wool is another good material for summer caps. I don't particularly recommend one or another, as I find something pleasurable in each of them. You may also enjoy a blend of slik and linen and light wool, or something similar. If done correctly, you can enjoy the various properties of the fabrics.

If this is a "first summer cap" kind of thing, then go with linen if choosing between it and silk. It is far less fussy and easier to take care of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe