Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suede trucker jacket stank

javajakamama

Familiar Face
brutal smell.

can't place it. hard to describe. maybe an amalgamation of smells or maybe something else. it doesn't smell like body odor at all.

best way to describe is like a chemical smell. although i can't rule out a hint of wet dog.

currently it's in a bag with baking soda trying to draw it out.

considering i don't know the history i can't rule out my impatience and throwing this in the washing machine on gentle to clean and sanitize it . this quick fix is on the table for me.

also,..spraying it vodka or giving it a vinegar rub down should be the first course of action. but again, i don't treat my stuff like gold. and even this method is off the table for many.

paying 50/60 to dry clean is an option. but a pricey one that will prolly never happen. if i can get it done for half of that, yes.

i want to hear success stories of people throwing them in the washing machine.

also,..maybe dying it would make it better..or at least give it a new smell?...lol

suede1.jpg

cbez

One Too Many
spray with diluted vinegar, hang it outside somewhere windy and sunny for a couple days.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If you're adventurous enough you can soak it through in hydrogen peroxide 3%. It'll kill all bacteria for sure but I don't know how the leather will react. On wool and cotton fabrics it's fine with some slight fading, but I've never used it on leather, just yet...

javajakamama

Familiar Face
i sprayed the crap out of it. but i forgot to dilute the vinegar. lol.... halfway through the drying process it just added another smell to the mix. so much so that i almost threw it in the washing machine at that time. as it dried further i began to only smell vinegar, well mostly. so this worked some in only a few hours. it might even get better as it's cool, dry and windy now. it will be hit with some sun tomorrow.

if it gets better i might spray it down a second time.

i haven't brushed the nap yet, and it didn't seem to get crunchy at all but it was tight to begin with

First off, make sure the jacket is made from an actual suede and not reversed leather - Although, if we're talking about the jacket on the photo, I would say that we can safely assume suede is what we are dealing with here.

Suede washes like textile. There's nothing that can harm it anymore that hasn't been done to it. So, throw the jacket into a washing machine, add gentle detergent, fabric softener (the softening effect will be the same) & you can also add some baking soda and vinegar/alcohol for the heck of it.
Important thing is to make sure to use gentle, slow cycle because once soaked, the jacket will get heavy and high-speed spinning will cause massive stress on the seams of the garment (I've had a seam on a jacket that was 2 mm thick rip right through like it was made of a perforated paper!).

Repeat the process until the smell is gone, without letting the jacket dry in between and that's that.

Oh, and of course, let the jacket dry in a room temperature.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
First off, make sure the jacket is made from an actual suede and not reversed leather - Although, if we're talking about the jacket on the photo, I would say that we can safely assume suede is what we are dealing with here.

Suede washes like textile. There's nothing that can harm it anymore that hasn't been done to it. So, throw the jacket into a washing machine, add gentle detergent, fabric softener (the softening effect will be the same) & you can also add some baking soda and vinegar/alcohol for the heck of it.
Important thing is to make sure to use gentle, slow cycle because once soaked, the jacket will get heavy and high-speed spinning will cause massive stress on the seams of the garment (I've had a seam on a jacket that was 2 mm thick rip right through like it was made of a perforated paper!).

Repeat the process until the smell is gone, without letting the jacket dry in between and that's that.

^^^^This

javajakamama

Familiar Face
ty for all the advice.

the vinegar did wonders.

is this jacket considered roughout?

suede2.jpg

Last edited:

javajakamama

Familiar Face

stink is back after the vinegar wore off in the slight sun and breeze. but it's a new and slightly improved smell.

i'm tossing it in the washer. fortune favors the bold. although shrinkage might rear it's head

javajakamama

Familiar Face
just finished the wash. i had it on hand wash but i didn't feel it was going to get enough agitation in order to clean. so i put it on quick wash for 25 min.

jacket came out a mess..misshapen, folds, pulls. i didn't even button it because i wanted the liner to get clean as well. i knew it was an additional risk.

didn't really thoroughly check for damage.

smelled better, put it on and used my hands as an iron. it still looks meh and worse than it did before. it got punished in there.

didn't seem to shrink but it may as it drys. hoping it springs into better shape when it drys after a brush

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1