Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style-Question: Hat and Leather Jacket?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A moonstone colored Fed IV with any color leather jacket will move you away from the Indiana Jones look.

I have a Carbon Grey Fed IV, and because it is so dark, I still get an occasional Indy comment while wearing it with a brown leather jacket of various styles.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I definitely prefer darker colors in general, but I just don't want to look all "adventured out" in NYC. Though none of my jackets look Indy like. Well maybe except for my ANJ-3 which I feel channels it slightly ha

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Funny you should ask. I attended my nephew's wedding last year in N.J. and brought my Aero brown Long Half-belt and two hats, an Akubra Campdraft and a gray tweed 8-piece cap. Every time I wore the Akubra with the jacket I got the usual Indiana Jones comments, but when I wore the cap I got nothing but "Wow, cool look," and similar remarks.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
A Stetson Inwood with a CXL brown steer hide Half Belt looks pretty sharp, me thinks. ;)

5FBFBF99-1DD6-4525-93DF-DD02D1AAD0A2_zpsdzjuze66.jpg

065E0987-3CFB-4F4C-BA49-6613785E337D_zpsermfqtqp.jpg

C42773AB-D462-48E2-BD23-5EA864C9327E_zpst2v6z65s.jpg

johnnycanuck

I actually have a Wested Indy jacket (the guys that made the raiders jacket) in fact I have two. A cow hide last crusade for cold weather and a goat raiders for the rest of the year. I have rarely got the Indiana Jones comment when wearing my Akubra federation.

I get it a lot more "Indy" comments wearing a light blue crossover made by Art Fawcett.

I have actually got a few Crocodile Dundee comments with the brown Federation.
My opinion and advise is get what you want and feel comfortable in. People will draw their own conclusions. Also don't take comments as negative. Treat them positively and you will get along just fine.
My two cents anyway.
Johnny

Wesslyn

Practically Family
Apologies for the top of the pic being cut off. But this is one of my favorite leather jacket + fedora outfits I've ever put together. A deep mousey grey Stetson. I think a vest and tie help off-set the Indy look and give more of a casual appearance, without being "too" casual.
It's also important to remember, that if you wear a fedora at all, regardless of everything else, there's almost always gonna be someone that will immediately think Indy.
psh.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I've never had an Indy comment when wearing an Indy jacket... but yeah, I did when wearing a narrow-brim, 50s style trilby and an M442a. Go figure. I've worn both a Federation, in brown, and a Campdraft in Silverbelly with a brown halfbelt, and never had an Indy comment. More people over here seem to think it's a "cowboy" hat, weirdly enough. The Campdraft may be a too "country" for you, though I bahmed mine like a fedora and wear it in the city. The narrow ribbon looks less 'Indy' if that bothers you, though chances are a proportion of people will always all you Indy if you wear a fedora of any sort. Best just to smile and ignore, imo.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I actually have a Wested Indy jacket (the guys that made the raiders jacket) in fact I have two. A cow hide last crusade for cold weather and a goat raiders for the rest of the year. I have rarely got the Indiana Jones comment when wearing my Akubra federation.

I get it a lot more "Indy" comments wearing a light blue crossover made by Art Fawcett.

I have actually got a few Crocodile Dundee comments with the brown Federation.
My opinion and advise is get what you want and feel comfortable in. People will draw their own conclusions. Also don't take comments as negative. Treat them positively and you will get along just fine.
My two cents anyway.
Johnny

I have had those same experiences - Dundee, or more often cowboy comments for an Indy hat, and Indy comments for hats that look way less like an Indy hat than a relatively brown fedora.

The first time I heard a Dundee comment while wearing a brown Fed, I was like, really? What is this guy seeing? haha

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Campdraft is definitely too coutnry. I might look into a dark brown/black 8piece tweed style as that seems a bit more low key. And possibly a Federation VI, though it seems like a pretty large hat. Whats the color preference for pairing with a cordovan leather / dark brown ?

tropicalbob

Campdraft is definitely too coutnry. I might look into a dark brown/black 8piece tweed style as that seems a bit more low key. And possibly a Federation VI, though it seems like a pretty large hat. Whats the color preference for pairing with a cordovan leather / dark brown ?
I'd always thought the same thing about the Fed IV, but when I received my first one last year I was surprised to find it felt just about right. I think this was due to owning two CD's before it. For a cordovan jacket you could try the Moonstone color, which I think woud look great with it.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Found this on Aero's site. Nice conservative look/color which suits me. Might be able to pull it off with all the jackets? Black/brown/cordovan....
33355d45d0ec8db4_blackfleck-800.jpg

tropicalbob

There's a good photo on Aero's Facebook page of a guy in a cap and leather jacket lighting up a smoke next to the North Sea. Very cool look.

Edward

Bartender
Cool photo. I hope Ken had a word with him about those low-rise jeans, though. ;)

Depends how you bash it, really.... you get used to it very quickly. A c-crown will take a lot of the height out of it. I've worn black and grey fedoras with cordovan, mostly; always brown with brown. A light grey can loook good with brown too - moonstone fed would be fantastic with brown, especially if you had a copper ribbon fitted.... If you're keen to avoid the dak brown because Indy, try the tan coloured one, would look great with any of Aero's brown leathers.

Found this on Aero's site. Nice conservative look/color which suits me. Might be able to pull it off with all the jackets? Black/brown/cordovan....
View attachment 51171

The Failsworth caps Aero sells aren't as wide as most of the vintage repro options out there, but they are very nice - more of a 50s than a 30s cut, IMO. And insanely cheap by comparison.... buy both brown and grey, they look great with leathers. I wear mine all the time when I'm going more casual, with denim, or when it's too windy for a brimmed hat.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Sold on the newsboy for a super casual look. Will add one to my pending Aero order.

But that leaves which brimmed hat to get. Which style Akubra do you guys think could be worn with just a t-shirt / jeans and not look super odd/out of place??

Mm25

One Too Many
Sold on the newsboy for a super casual look. Will add one to my pending Aero order.

But that leaves which brimmed hat to get. Which style Akubra do you guys think could be worn with just a t-shirt / jeans and not look super odd/out of place??

All of them. But you have only to please yourself.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
In films of the Golden Era, a great many men wore thin-ribboned fedoras that resembled the Campdraft/Stratoliner, and with suits and ties. So a thin-ribboned hat is not, in and of itself, a badge of "country." Check out, among other pages, http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/thin-ribbon-shots-from-movies.32762/page-6.

tropicalbob

I'm not a fan of the fedora with a t-shirt look, but then again I rarely go out of the house these days wearing a t-shirt. I suppose a straw would be okay, but then you're getting into the Jimmy Buffett-Parrothead-exec-on-drunken-holiday look, which I see too much of in these parts. If you look around you can find decent, light-weight linen jackets and shirts for the warmer weather. I just found an Agnes B. linen jacket on Etsy recently for about $70.00 that looks great and weighs nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe