Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stacy Adams Fedoras

citRon

A-List Customer
[huh]

SAF3-2.jpg
[/IMG]

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Stacy-Adams-Suede-Finish-Fur-Felt-Fedora-Hat-p/saf3.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

MattJH

One Too Many
I've seen them at places like Burlington Coat Factory. From what I've handled of them, you get what you pay for. They may have higher-quality products that I haven't handled, though, so don't take this as canon.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
With the experience I've had with modern hats I wouldn't trust any modern hatmaker other than Akubra and custom hatters, unless you get pure beaver models which are a waste of money, as customs are usually cheaper (eg. an Art Fawcett is cheaper than a Stetson Pinnacle). So my gut instinct says no; however, I do not own this hat, so I cannot comment on this one specifically.

MattJH

One Too Many
citRon said:
well, I'll let everyone know with a detailed review- I won that one on ebay new with tags for $24.49!

Congrats! Definitely update us. The information I have could be outdated, and I wouldn't want to inadvertently give them a bad name if they don't deserve it. I do see their hats listed on eBay 100% of the time when I'm using my customized search queries. Never fails.

citRon

A-List Customer
Stacy Adams Fur Felt Review

This is the brand new with tags attached Stacy Adams Fur Felt Fedora I got off ebay for a $24.49 Best Offer. This same hat is sold by one of the Lounge's advertisers for $103.00 (Mine is apparently last season's model, as the 'new' one now has a satin ribbon)
It just came today, after buying it on Feb 1st.. Mine is the Grey color. It is a nice light grey similar to Akubra's Moonstone.
First impression- It is worth $103.00, I think, when compared to other $100 hats I've owned. If this was my first fedora, I would be very pleased. The felt is soft, the sweatband is a very soft comfortable leather equal to the Fed Deluxe's sweat, and there is a nice two-tone satin liner with gold piping between the black and white. The logo has a thin pliable plastic covering. The liner is glued in, however there is almost no evidence of the glue, contrary to other hats I have with huge globs of 'hot glue gun' attachment. The brim has a stitched underwelt. Back to the felt -comparing it to the Akubra Federation, the felt is slightly thicker to the feel, but softer to the touch. The crown is pre-formed and doesn't want to hold any other shape, but is nowhere near what I consider 'stiff'. It measures 4" at the front and 4 3/4" at the side. I would guess that water or steam would easily re-shape it if desired. The 2 1/4" snap-brim is shaped just right; all I did was flip the front down.
Detractors on this hat I would say to be the feather and pin -both of which easily came off, the feather was not attached to anything and the pin was just 'pressed' on either side of the 'bow'. The 'ribbon' is a 1/2" band of the same felt in a barely darker shade than the hat that is invisibly tacked on with glue in a couple spots. I've already removed the feather and pin, and I will likey replace the ribbon with a chocolate brown grosgrain for a different look. Also, this hat is available in S,M, L, XL instead of numbered sizes. My Medium fits as a standard 7 1/8.
In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this hat to anyone from hat newbies to seasoned vintage collectors. I don't know how well this hat will stand up to the weather, but for $25 bucks, I'm not afraid to find out.
The hat is listed as a Buy It Now for $49.99 or Best Offer. I offered $24.49 and it was accepted. I would feel I had gotten a good deal at the $49.99.
From his listings, he has this one in Grey, Brown, Tan, Red, Blue and Burgandy. He also has a Bowler from Stacy Adams. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FUR-FELT-STACY-ADAMS-HAT-MEDIUM-GREY-new-FURFELT_W0QQitemZ170299567326QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

And pics:

IMG_0384.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0383.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0385.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0386.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0388.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0395.jpg
[/IMG]

Goose.

Practically Family
I care citRon and also, I believe for every drop of rain that falls a flower grows.

That's a nice hat and pics...thinking that may be the ticket for me to try out a less expensive Trilby style before I hit on the Hampton or Borsa.

Ok, now that I have acknowledged that I care, I need you to get to work...I see the dimensions on your post now that I read it closer (good review BTW)...
How about a pic with it on your noggin?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
This weekend seems to be a bit light on postings, doesn't it?

I normally don't check out the new hat listings, but I do appreciate your review. I know a few people who may be interested in hats but wear larger sizes. This may be a good, inexpensive way to introduce them to hat wearing.

Cheers,
Tom

A fur felt hat with a leather sweatband for 25 bucks? Hard to go wrong, I'd say.

Nice dimensions and crown profile. I'm not normally a fan of those "self" bands, but I could live with that one. Still, your idea to swap it with a grosgrain ribbon is a good one.

I wonder who actually manufactures these kids. Anyone know?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
citRon, Thanks for the informative revue. It's about time Stacy Adams started making a fur felt fedora. Since Burlington Coat Factory stopped selling Tonaks (I built quite a collection, while they were available.), there aren't many entry level hats made of fur instead of wool. The price you got it for, makes it even more attractive.

I'm curious about the edge. Can you see the stitches, or is it a Cavanagh (Mode, Selvedge) type edge?

citRon

A-List Customer
tonyb said:
A fur felt hat with a leather sweatband for 25 bucks? Hard to go wrong, I'd say.

Nice dimensions and crown profile. I'm not normally a fan of those "self" bands, but I could live with that one. Still, your idea to swap it with a grosgrain ribbon is a good one.

I wonder who actually manufactures these kids. Anyone know?

[huh] its made in China, so the tag says.

I'm curious about the edge. Can you see the stitches, or is it a Cavanagh (Mode, Selvedge) type edge?

The stitching is invisible on the top, so it appears as a mode edge. On the underside, you can see the 'backstitching' and the felt's edge, but doesn't look bad at all -certainly not cheap.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
citRon said:
[huh] its made in China, so the tag says.

Jaxon Hats (Village Hat Shop) are also made in China. Indycop was quite pleased with a Jaxon, as I remember. Both labels could come from the same source. Then again, China is a big place. :)

Owney_Madden

New in Town
Stacy Adams wool felt

Hello!! first post here, my dad wears fedoras all the time but my head is larger than his so i could never wear his feds. Recently purchased a Stacy Adams fedora
link
http://www.thefedorastore.com/Stacy-Adams-Wool-Felt-Center-Dent-Fedora-Hat-p/saw536.htm

i read in a thread about wool hats not being good? but i didn't get the reasoning behind this. i realize this is no 100$++ stetson, and if i could afford one right now i would have gotten one or even a vintage Adams Executive teardrop but being in college makes the budget tight. If anyone could tell me how my hat will fair or any ideas/thoughts about it please let me know. Its Still in the "processing" stage on the site so it hasn't shipped yet! lol

Macheath

One of the Regulars
First of all, Welcome!

Not all wool hats are created equal, but fur is a better material for making hat felt for one major reason: fur fibers are finer than wool fibers.

Because fur is not as coarse as wool, felt made out of fur is generally denser, and thus tougher and less prone to shrinking. Finer fibers also mean that the felt can be finished with a much smoother surface.

A lot of loungers will tell you that the bottom line is, you will likely get much better mileage out of a fur felt hat over a wool felt.

You can get a decent fur felt for under $100, and if you don't have a watermelon of a noggin' like some of us do, there are good deals to be made on vintage hats. Wool is not altogether useless, but if you're going to spend a significant amount of time in a lid, you'll find yourself yearning for a decent piece of felt to cover your head with, and much sooner than you think.

In any case, let us know how you like your hat when you receive it!

DerMann

Practically Family
My aunt gave me a nice wool Stetson (bashed in a cowboy sort of way), and I love the way it looks.

Wool's great for beaters. Hats that you won't be afraid to wear into the field. Most people will also tell you that it is nearly impossible to rebash wool hats without doing some damage to the hat. This is a double edged blade - sure you won't get to fool around with the crown as much as you would with a fur felt hat, but it also means that you can jam it in a suitcase and have it pop back to life with minimal loss of shape.

That being said, don't go for bottom of the barrel hats. Try to spend somewhere between $50-$70 on a wool hat. You'll also notice that at around $75 you'll start hitting the fur felts.

Just decide what's best for you.

Owney_Madden

New in Town

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a two wool hats in my collection. One is a old Dorfman Pacific that had held up fine to light use without being exposed to the elements (rain or snow). My second is a Smithbilt "Scout" that has seen just as much action as any of my Akubra's. http://www.smithbilthats.com/specialty-hats.htm the only thing with the Smithbilt is it needs to be shaped again after a downpour (doesn't have much felt memory). From what I gather from the other lounge members is my Smithbilt is a "odd one out" for wool felt quality, it hasn't even shrunk at all.

That said, if you were to only get one hat. I would go for a Akubra if you can afford it. You will not regret it.

If you can't afford a Akubra and want to return the one you just ordered, have a look at http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_iconoclast_fedora.html or maybe http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_bogart_fedora.html I do not own one myself but if you do a search on the lounge you will find they get pretty good reviews.

Lastly, if you choose to keep your wool fedora you can protect it from the elements with a shot of Scotch guard (fabric protect ant) every few months. I use it on my Tilley hats and the water just runs off of them. But only if you apply it regularly, it will wear off with time.

But if you can afford a Akubra - buy it.

hope that helps.

Johnny

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Owney_Madden said:
Thanks for the input guys.
just found this thread on Baily wool felt hats,

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37549&highlight=baily+wool+felt

Now i am really regretting purchasing this hat. . and i haven't even got it yet lol! :eusa_doh:

If im not more that please with how it looks/feels on me when i get it, I am going to send it back and bite the bullet and get one of these Akubra's

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=50&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

There is not a damned thing wrong with the hat you purchased! I have three wool felts, and I love them. I just take care of them. Don't get me wrong, fur felts are very nice (I just got my first fur), and can take more abuse, but I don't ever intend to find out, because I simply don't abuse my things. All of the advice you've gotten here is very good advice, as the folks of the "Lounge", I'm sure, feel a responsibility to provide the very best advice they can, such is their generous nature :eusa_clap , but at the end of the day, it's still your money to spend. For what it's worth, I like that hat, and think that with some care, it should give many years of good service, after all, we are not all Indiana Jones types.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum