Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The technical term for such usages as "he and myself" is "hypercorrection" --it comes from a fear of being seen as incorrect, under the assumption that a more ornate phrase is always higher prestige than a simple one. I've often noticed that this type of speech is very common among middle-class strivers.

Real upper class, highly-educated people are often refreshingly blunt in their speech. I remember one old-money Harvard WASP type who was a theatre regular turning to his wife upon entering and saying "you get the popcorn, I'm going to the can."

GHT

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^^
That’s it, I think. The more syllables, the more words, the more learned the speaker attempts to portray him- or herself.
That narcissistic image Tony describes is akin to those debatable celebrity "A" listers, meaning, those who think that they are "A" listers, and their behaviour. They will do anything to keep themselves famous.

Posing nude, being in fake relationships, wearing scandalous outfits, sleeping around, make controversial statements.

And it works. Journalists thrive on the gossip and editors know that it will sell newspapers.
Beat me, bore me, but don’t ignore me.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last week my girlie found something like a small crater on my back that easily bleeds and doesn‘t look overly sympathic.. So possibly just that notorious small but nasty pimple but having alteady enjoyed one full cancer boat tour, that really ticks me off.

Going to see my doc this morning…

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Last week my girlie found something like a small crater on my back that easily bleeds and doesn‘t look overly sympathic.. So possibly just that notorious small but nasty pimple but having alteady enjoyed one full cancer boat tour, that really ticks me off.

Going to see my doc this morning…

Best wishes to you! I hope it turns out to be nothing unusual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrgorve