Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Well, I'm neither a Brit nor a royalist, but I rather suspect you might be surprised by how things have changed in that regard in ,he last twenty years or so. ;)

Well the previous French president Sarkozy did commit a faux pas by placing his hand on the queen's back, in a friendly gesture of course & he was banished to the forbidden lands beyond the kingdom's walls.......so beware all you Regina gropers out there.:rolleyes:

bebop13

New in Town
I don't know if you know this:
By noon, when almost every worker and every student in town needs to buy food for dinner, litterally ALL (I love exaggerations ;) ) retired people seem to feel the urgent need to go shopping.... and its always them who complain about the long waiting times at the cashiers.... XD
(to all 65+ members: no offence meant... ;) )

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pre-kids we used to like to go shopping 11pm on Friday or Saturday night (at the 24 hour grocery). Too early for the bars to close, so the drunks weren't out yet; too late for normal people. ;)

So, I am really mad at my son's carseat. It was my daughter'so before his. She moved up to a new style seat that has this neat "click tight" system that uses the seat belt. You pop up part of the seat, lift it up, lay and buckle the seatbelt, take up the slack, and push down part of the seat. It takes less than 2 minutes.

My son's seat (my daughter's old one) uses the latch system. It requires you to loosen the latches, find the connectors (buried in the seat), click 2 of them in, and then tighten them. It takes 10 minutes, if you are having a good day.

I'm at the point where, despite the seat still having 2 years left on it (the plastics are safe for 5 years) I am tempted to throw away $200 to buy the newer version of the car seat that features the click tight feature. SO TEMPTED.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Our store has a perpendicular set of hallways at the bathrooms. If you park a cart there, you can simultaneously block the exit to the kitchen, the door to the men's room, the door to the ladies', and the hallway that leads to the fire exit. People are good at that. I will move it for you while you're in the bathroom and you can go hunt it down. It's a safety hazard if there's a fire in the kitchen or in that part of the store.

Our store has a perpendicular set of hallways at the bathrooms. If you park a cart there, you can simultaneously block the exit to the kitchen, the door to the men's room, the door to the ladies', and the hallway that leads to the fire exit. People are good at that. I will move it for you while you're in the bathroom and you can go hunt it down. It's a safety hazard if there's a fire in the kitchen or in that part of the store.

Is there signage telling not to leave carts parked there?

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Is there signage telling not to leave carts parked there?
No, but there should be. It's obvious you're blocking a bunch of stuff if you do it. Anyone with a sense of courtesy and an awareness of other people parks his cart in the more open area and takes valuables with him. Besides, I learned a long time ago that many customers don't read signs, even giant ones right in front of them.

We are creatures of habit.

I chuckled on relocating to greater Denver and seeing signs directing motorists to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. In Seattle, you stop for pedestrians at crosswalks and intersections, period, even if the pedestrian has yet to step off the curb. So from my perspective those Denver signs were as redundant as one telling me to stop at red lights.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
In L.A. the motorists tend to yield to pedestrians crossing the streets.
Even if it’s not at the corner crosswalks.
This would freak me out since I grew up where this was not common.

We are indeed creatures of habit!

Hercule

Practically Family
I've never really understood the concept of vehicles having to yield to pedestrians, at least from a practical safety stand point. A pedestrian is a hell of a lot more maneuverable and able to stop much quicker than a one ton+ hunk of metal with momentum. Not to mention a pedestrian possesses the ability for a greater field of vision than someone sitting in a car. Feel free to point out the error of my logic.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When I'm in America, turning right on a red light freaks me no end. It's one of those kind of rules that you have to grow up with, from the day you gain your drivers licence. The other freaky thing, about driving in The States, is the four way stop sign. There again it's only quirky if you are not used to it. I know that traffic circles are disliked by a lot of American motorists, but spare a thought for us Europeans. The rule of the roundabout/circle is you give way to the traffic already on the circle, in France it was the other way around. About thirty years or so ago, the French fell into line with the rest of Europe, with one notable exception. In the centre of Paris is the notorious L'Arc de Triomphe traffic circle, where you still (or did, they might have changed it, I should have checked,) give way to the traffic entering the circle, all 12 entrances. Take a change of underwear with you:
Arc de Triomphe.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
When I'm in America, turning right on a red light freaks me no end. It's one of those kind of rules that you have to grow up with, from the day you gain your drivers licence. The other freaky thing, about driving in The States, is the four way stop sign. There again it's only quirky if you are not used to it. I know that traffic circles are disliked by a lot of American motorists, but spare a thought for us Europeans. The rule of the roundabout/circle is you give way to the traffic already on the circle, in France it was the other way around. About thirty years or so ago, the French fell into line with the rest of Europe, with one notable exception. In the centre of Paris is the notorious L'Arc de Triomphe traffic circle, where you still (or did, they might have changed it, I should have checked,) give way to the traffic entering the circle, all 12 entrances. Take a change of underwear with you:
View attachment 48980

Operating a vehicle with the steering wheel on the right side
while driving on the left side of the road would definitely require
I pack an extra change of underwear.

And as my Uncle Sam used to say....

“ I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like grandpa....
not screaming, swearing and yelling like the passengers
in his car." :D

Last edited:
Roundabouts, or rotaries or traffic circles or whatever they are called in any particular locale, took me about no time at all to adjust to. I prefer them to signals and all-way stops mostly because if there is no good reason to stop, you don't stop.

But you gotta have the space for them. In the newly developed areas around greater Seattle roundabouts are now the norm.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Operating a vehicle with the steering wheel on the right side
while driving on the left side of the road would definitely require I pack an extra change of underwear.
Given that between 70% to 95% of people are right handed, you need your right hand free to blow away the asshole who has the temerity to criticise your driving; tries to road hog you; behaves like he owns the road. Man I don't know how you guys even dare to go out in your cars, unless you are left handed that is.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe