Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slips!

• Thread starter Deleted member 12480
  • Start date

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Drappa

One Too Many
Well, I have been watching Van Raalte slips for a while now, and most of them that look exactly like this one have a BIN of $25-$40, often they sell for a lot cheaper. There are NOS ones you can get cheaper, so I'm baffled.

Miss Hannah, yes, even distinguishing between 80s nylon and earlier is a mystery to me. I guess some of the older ones sometimes have a zipper in the side and no stretch, other than that I am lost.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Drappa said:
Well, I have been watching Van Raalte slips for a while now, and most of them that look exactly like this one have a BIN of $25-$40, often they sell for a lot cheaper. There are NOS ones you can get cheaper, so I'm baffled.

Okay, so ask the seller, or the person who runs that blog I linked to. Seems they are a HUGE collector of Van Raale. :)

In a lot of the vintage slips Ive found (mostly 50-60s) the nylon is AMAZING. Great drape, texture, weight. I have a cream nylon full slip with scalloped needlework thats too short for me, but I will never sell it. Most of the ones Ive seen that are older with a side zip are in terrible shape. :(

LD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
The more we talk about dating vintage skips, the more I'm unsure! *lol* However, as with other clothing items, looking at tags is key. A 1950s label on a slip, won't look like an 80s one that's for sure.

From my experience (and from looking at my slips): 40s slips are usually a stiffer material satin, rayon/nylon mix. 50s...it appears that's when acetate was used more frequently with nylon for slips - however rayon was also still used. A lot of 60s slips appear to be %100 nylon. Older nylon (60s and before) seems like it has more weight to it.

Well...that doesn't really help much! *lol* Maybe going by the look/style and other details is a better idea. Like Lady Day said, drape, texture, needlework. The lace details, pleats, etc...you just don't see that in 70s and 80s slips (not that I've seen).

In the end, I'm not picky whether I'm wearing a 40s, 50s or 60s slip -as long as I like it. :)

And from one of my earlier posts, I was describing my 50s black & white slip. I just found a similar one online:

BB35.JPG

:)
X
BD

MissHannah

One Too Many
The reason I am concerned about the date isn't so much the style (if I like it, I like it) it's that my memory of slips from the 80s is that they were a staticky nylon nightmare that stuck to your stockings and made your skirt ride up and I am wary of buying any that end up doing that!

I think I know what you mean about heavier feeling nylon. There probably wasn't much of it around in the UK in the 50s but 60s ones should be in abundance.

LoserVonTeese

Familiar Face
question how often to wash slips? I've worn them in the day with dresses and sleep inthem at night would it be suggestive that iwash them after wear and sleeping? :p

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LoserVonTeese said:
question how often to wash slips? I've worn them in the day with dresses and sleep inthem at night would it be suggestive that iwash them after wear and sleeping? :p

I usually wear mine a few times before washing, just like I would with a pair of PJs. You're usually not sweating too much when you're sleeping.

For those of you trying to date slips, there are definitely sites online that help you date by the tag. For example, here's one for Vanity Fair - http://reviews.ebay.com/VINTAGE-LIN...-Labels-Dating-Etc_W0QQugidZ10000000000764944

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
LoserVonTeese said:

I try to rinse mine out with every other wearing. Usually when I'm washing my stockings and other underthings.

shallot

New in Town
Hi everyone - this is the first time I've posted on the forum but have visited a few times in the past.

Recently, after a marathon Mad Men session, I'd like to get a couple of lace repro slips (both half and full). I have a few that I've picked up from op-shops, but I'd like to inject some prettiness into my undergarments.

Online would be best but I am going to New York in a couple of weeks time, so if anyone knows of any stores there that may stock what I'm after, I'd be extremely appreciative.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I just bought my first ever slips this week and I love them! Don't think they're older than the 60s, and they're only nylon with lace panels, nothing too fancy, but I love them so much! They give me that same feeling of glamour and retro naughtiness that stockings do, whilst being more practical and less fiddly (though I know what the boy prefers... ;) ) A couple of local vtg shops were having a sale so I managed to pick up 5, as well as an amazing pair of 50s-style nighties, for around £20, I was chuffed! Got them in black, white, pale blue, peachy-coral, and a pale yellowy-pink. I know other colours might have been more practical, but I don't have that many pale/thin dresses or skirts.

I hate to reflect on how many frivolous retro things I have convinced myself are necessities! Fighting the urge to get more if I'll be wearing them most days :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe