Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve shortening on a G-1?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Here is one pic...

IMG_0104.jpg

Cookie Monster

New in Town
Anyone ever notice that with only 7 standard sizes (all in "Regular") in mil-spec form, the issued G1s would have to be longer in the body and sleeves to accommodate BOTH shorter pilots/aircrew with stocky build, and taller pilots/aircrew with longer, lankier builds? I believe this is why any jackets made to mil-spec seem to have sleeves that are too long for some.
In vintage photos of shorter and taller pilots of the same basic build, but differing heights, you can see this in the fact that the sleeves for the shorter men were doubled over on the cuffs, and on the taller men with longer arms the sleeves were just about right.

Here's an example of fit on a shorter serviceman during Korea:
ParciarelliKorea-2.jpg

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
I agree! The other thing with the sleeves on G-1 jackets is that they are extra roomy in the bicep area, then taper all the way down to the cuff. The taper on the Signature G-1 is significant. Are all G-1's like this?

This is the thing I was speaking of in relation to how G+B jackets (and apparently others) have progressed.

Here again is my 90s era jacket...

And here's the '73 Imperial

Large in the arms but not what I would call baggy

Here's my '97 G+B:

Again, no baggy sleeves.

Now the ELC is a bit broader in both the shoulders and arms with a significant taper

Though I don't truly know how accurate the pattern is.

Now, when I tried a standard G-1 from G+B last year, the arms were substantially bigger as was the body. I really wonder if, as the jackets are cut for a broader, less trim, less military audience, the body and consequently the arm holes get cut bigger. Since I was a 2nd Lt, I have put on fifteen pounds and am able to work out a fraction of the amount I did when I was younger. And yet, I have moved from a 44 jacket to a 46-48 just because I have become more barrel chested.

This just affects the way these jackets fit and how they are made for the aftermarket crowd (i.e. us). But I don't think if you had a jacket from an original issue, you would find the sleeves as baggy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My 1972 Star Sportswear G1 48 has quite a slim sleeve profile compared to my ELC M-422A. I much prefer the slimmer look :)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
My G-1 here is comfy, just seems too long, both the sleeves and the torso. If it sells, then I'll shop smarter next time. If it does not sell...it'll be the King of the Closet!

Deacon211

One Too Many
My G-1 here is comfy, just seems too long, both the sleeves and the torso. If it sells, then I'll shop smarter next time. If it does not sell...it'll be the King of the Closet!

It looks like a nice jacket Tex, and not too long on you....though perhaps longer than you like.

I hope you sell it if you like, but please....no jacket left behind!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
It looks like a nice jacket Tex, and not too long on you....though perhaps longer than you like.

I hope you sell it if you like, but please....no jacket left behind!

Actually, this jacket is perfect for those real cold days as I can wear a light sweater with it. It is a super nice coat, and the goatskin is glove-leather soft. And that collar is outta this world! It will be worked into the rotation. The bull-pen is one of our strengths.

Deacon211

One Too Many
LOL, I'll sleep better knowing that!

And it is nice to have a jacket you can wear something under isn't it.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I have fond G-1 Wearing memories from Around the campfire at night on some chilly May Evenings with a nice sweater.

Give me a few Days, I have 3 G-1 Jackets I will model for you.

One is a USN WWII era G-1, its Fabulous IMO!!!

It reminds me of the one worn by Christian Bale in *Empire of the Sun*

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I called Gibson & Barnes to inquire about the sleeve length on their G-1's. Amanda told me that on their 40R, the sleeve measures 33". That is measured from the center of the collar to the shoulder, down to the elbow, then down to the beginning of the cuff (cuff not measured). This would put my G-1 right there with the G&B in sleeve length.

My jacket sleeve would be 33.5" (size 44R) measured in this manner. Think this G-1 is a keeper! (thanks Fanch).

My expectation was for the G-1 to fit as nicely as my A-2. It seems that getting a real good fit with a G-1 is a bit of a challenge. A-2's are much more consumer friendly in this regard.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82