Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Wild Root said:
Why JP, I had no idea you had such cool ties! Very nice my friend, very nice!

I know I've heard a lot about them... but, seeing is believing!

=WR=

Gee, thanks for sticking up for my voracity. :p Like you didn't see a few of my ties at the QM last year.
Actually some of the ties I tried to take a picture of were cut off. I will have to lay out a few more and take some pictures of the more crazy patterns. ;) Remember the contoured lady tie? No pictures of that one though. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Senator Jack said:
The two birds on the blue/white at top is stunning. What a find!

All the bird ties are interesting but I doubt they photograph as good as they look worn right. The Canadian Geese tie is a phototie. I always find those interesting. I have another of a fishing scene. I think they made just about every nature scene possible with the Photo ties though. :p
The hand painted Roller Canary club tie is from the 1950s and were done for the now defunct San Jose Roller Canary Club. It is probably the rarest tie I have due to its short run of production. Rare doesn't exactly translate to expensive though.
The various 30s "embroidered" ties are hard to see but there are feathers, leaves, shells and cherry patterns. Some of them came brand new with the Hollyvogue paper label still on them. I doubt I will ever find them again like that.
I just love ties. I need to cut back on the skinny ties I have to make room for the 30s-40s ties. The collection of bow ties is another subject. :p

Regards to all,

J

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
It's funny, I was at TJ Maxx earlier today and there was a tie on the rack that looked just like a 40s-50s tie. Big tropical print with a hula dancer or somesuch right in the middle. And it was like $5 or so. Not quite my bag, but I guess there still must be a demand for this style of tie even among modern-tie-wearers!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Swell looking ties everyone!

Sadly, I've got nothing but modern ties with carefully picked patterns, plus a few that I'm not too sure about... I fear they might look too 80's, considering I mooched them off my father's closet.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vladimir Berkov said:
It's funny, I was at TJ Maxx earlier today and there was a tie on the rack that looked just like a 40s-50s tie. Big tropical print with a hula dancer or somesuch right in the middle. And it was like $5 or so. Not quite my bag, but I guess there still must be a demand for this style of tie even among modern-tie-wearers!
Was it by Tommy Bahama? They frequently have them and they look extremely vintage. They are even floppy like vintage ties.:)

scotrace said:
Beautiful ties JP - I especially like the three at right, bottom picture.

Any of them Signets? Uh, can we see the Signets? Please?

I will dig through the collection and see how many I can get. I collect them so there have to be a few. Signet and Hollyvogue are my favorite vintage brands. :arated: They just have that special style and vivid colors.
The last three in that photo are a Towncraft Deluxe, National and a no name (the tag must have fallen off).

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Tie terms...

The 1930's and early 40's "embroidered" styles are called "Brocade" It's a slightly different type of art. Some I talk to find that "Brocade" ties were only made in the 30's, this is not so. They made them in the 40's as well. They are some of my favorite ties to wear because the way they seem to change color when you look at it in different angles.

Vlad, the tie you saw at TJ-Max was more then likely a Tommy Bahamas. I have seen them before and they look rather good but they're still way too long for me.

I'll post some photos of the ties I just got off of ebay and also at a vintage shop soon.

=WR=

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Brocade/Jacquard-

If the tonic, self patterned/figured ties are referred to as 'Brocade', they shouldn't be because they're actually 'Jacquard'-

If the pattern is heavy and raised(usually using silver or gold), then it is actually a Brocade weave.

Just for the record.:)

B
T

WEEGEE

Practically Family
simple and subtle

JP,

Like your ties...this one is great...for its design simplicity in my book.

Ties2.jpg

Thank,

WeeGee

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Well, in a somewhat unsolicited manner, I present my ties:

ties1.jpg

ties2.jpg

Like I said, they aren't really vintage, but I make sure the patterns look like they are (Actually, I'm not too sure about the red tie on the far left in the first pic. Is it passable?). I had some of those trimmed to a more correct length and I also took out that filler so they are nice and flimsy. I only wear the brown dotted tie under vests because of that pesky signature.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Aloha!

Here is the tie I had to get by buying a ton of polyester 60's and 70's ties. This is the Palm Tree tie that was on the far left in the photo I posted.

$9.99 was totaly worth it! This tie (If I chose to sell) could fetch me $50-$80 easy.

1191992img6az.jpg

And it's blue, my color! It really goes nice with a dark blue suit!

=WR=

Someone say ...

... vintage ties?

Ties1.jpg
Ties2.jpg

Ties3.jpg
Ties4.jpg

Ties5.jpg
Ties6.jpg

Ties7.jpg
Ties8.jpg

Ties9.jpg

I'll post some info and close-ups of the more interesting ones later. Just for now, i'll say that what interests me about vintage is what everyman, Joe Bloggs would have been wearing. The really fancy super-duper patterns - habd painted and the like - don't really float my boat. Most of my vintage ties are from junk stores or thrifts. The Java Batik one (furthest left on the first pic) was $1 in a local haunt for junkies. All those big wide belly warmers came from a couple of eBay auctions - nor more than $20 the lot. A number from eBay VBO (the latest one) were absolute steals - a green with embroidered flowers 20s number pictured above, next to a blue (probably) jacquard with embroidered details next to it.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamonds are a tie's best friend!

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

I wore the top right red argyle tie in the first pic to the LA Air Raid as some of you may remember. The tie in the bottom left of the second pic matches perfectly with the suit I found while shopping with Wild Root in CA. I plan on wearing it to the NY FL event!
flat-top

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Has anyone ever had any trouble with sending vintage ties to the cleaners, as in has the material every deteriorated? Just curious.

Flat top, those diamond ties are really nice. And Mr. Powers, the sea shells are an interesting pattern as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally